Sprinter-Forum    

Go Back   Sprinter-Forum > Sprinter-Based RV's & Conversions > Sprinter RV's & Conversions Talk

Sprinter RV's & Conversions Talk Common features found in Sprinter RV's and Conversions.

Old 01-10-2020, 02:11 AM   #431
Serapis Sprinter

Default Re: Swivel seat adapters: you get what you pay for?

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeyearly View Post
I just received and installed the base today. The quality is pretty top notch; Stamping, welts, and fitment is really good. The alignment is pretty interesting, as the base is about 1" wider than the stock base in the vehicle, and the seat mounting plate itself (I will post a picture or two of this later). The construction is pretty smart as the swivel is just based around the stamping outer plates and a sandwich of nylon (at least from what I can tell) plates. So all of the movement is just friction based, with no bearings or rollers of any kind. It is very smooth and I will assume now that it should not get sloppy over time, but instead probably bed in and become smoother. The locking mechanism is as simple as simple gets, and there are notches for a few different positions (Front, 180*, and 45* side to side from backwards.) there is a small amount of play side to side when the seat is locked into place, but not much and it does not seem unsafe in any way.

The only hiccups on install were a lack of hardware and the seat belt attachment. Luckily I work for a bike rack company, so we have M8 hardware galore and I was able to scrounge up the additional 6 bolts, 6 nylock nuts, and 12 washers I needed to install. As far as the seat belt goes, most of the bases I have seen have an additional plate to attach the seat belt to, and I was worried for a second when I noticed this one did not. However, on my factory pedestal there was a threaded hole that matched the threads and it was just about perfect placement for the bottom attachment point for the seat belt. Now it all functions perfect and you do not even notice.

Overall I would recommend the hell out of this base, especially because the mechanism is so simple, and the price is right compared to the alternatives. I will post some photos later on.

I ordered one of these too except I plan to put it on my drivers side. The make of them do seem sturdy as compared to the Sportscraft model (which I have on the passenger side) and good to hear on how you managed the lack of seatbelt hook-up. I’ll look into that if I have a that threaded hole.

The dilemma I am pondering is the parking brake reassignment. If I should do it or not, and how without the adapter piece sold in the other kits. Anyone know how?

I was also thinking of just swiveling the seat with the brake down then pull it up once I’m parked and swiveled since I usually will be stationary for a period of time.

Thoughts?

Last edited by Serapis Sprinter; 01-10-2020 at 02:14 AM.
Serapis Sprinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 02:13 AM   #432
pacnwers

The drivers side swivel comes with adaptor to deal with the parking brake.. they tell me. I haven’t seen myself yet..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
pacnwers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 02:19 AM   #433
Serapis Sprinter

I don’t think so on this one from eBay from the ‘markwen’ account on eBay who seems to be selling all of these, Amazing Motors LLC is his business. He markets them that they work on all Sprinters and Metris on either side which I can see with all the cutouts in the base for different mounting locations.

On the fence if I should give it a try for a bit with managing the parking brake up and down when I want to swivel or just send it back now during the return period.
Old 01-10-2020, 03:00 AM   #434
mtncrawler

When I inquired with seller "travois" the response was that emergency (figured they meant parking) brake parts were included (Different swivels were listed for NCV3 passenger/driver side). https://www.ebay.com/itm/183443460621?ul_noapp=true
mtncrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 03:28 AM   #435
Serapis Sprinter

Ahh yes. This is a different model that what I purchased along with ‘joeyearly’ above on the post. It is this one https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F193067747228

Your link I heard is the best one rated by faroutride.com. I believe it includes the proper parts as well. Grant it, another $100 than what I paid, but I guess that is the irony of this whole thread to begin with ����‍♂️☺️
Old 01-10-2020, 07:12 PM   #436
mtncrawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serapis Sprinter View Post
Ahh yes. This is a different model that what I purchased along with ‘joeyearly’ above on the post. It is this one https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F193067747228

Your link I heard is the best one rated by faroutride.com. I believe it includes the proper parts as well. Grant it, another $100 than what I paid, but I guess that is the irony of this whole thread to begin with ����‍♂️☺️

Hmm, you know I didn't catch that. I thought I was following the same link in 'joeyearly''s post, but I must have wandered through a series of links to the one posted.

Now I see the diff - I may go ahead and try the more $$ one - at least for one side.
Old 01-24-2020, 08:37 PM   #437
mtncrawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtncrawler View Post
Hmm, you know I didn't catch that. I thought I was following the same link in 'joeyearly''s post, but I must have wandered through a series of links to the one posted.

Now I see the diff - I may go ahead and try the more $$ one - at least for one side.
Ended up purchasing the Scopema swivel for the passenger side (from link in my earlier post). Install was pretty easy - just had to cut the plastic bottom seat trim to allow swivel. Overall it raised the seat about .8" (as advertised). Mechanism seems smooth, but I'm a little concerned about the amount of "wobble". Looking more closely at the design - it certainly has a smaller diameter contact area (compared to others) which contributes to this. Locks in place pretty solid - but there are no other locking points along the rotation - which may have been nice.

We'll see how it works and rides once I get it out on the road!
Old 01-24-2020, 09:12 PM   #438
GeorgeRa
2013 Sprinter DIY 144WB

Thanked 2,519 Times in 1,634 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtncrawler View Post
Ended up purchasing the Scopema swivel for the passenger side (from link in my earlier post). Install was pretty easy - just had to cut the plastic bottom seat trim to allow swivel. Overall it raised the seat about .8" (as advertised). Mechanism seems smooth, but I'm a little concerned about the amount of "wobble". Looking more closely at the design - it certainly has a smaller diameter contact area (compared to others) which contributes to this. Locks in place pretty solid - but there are no other locking points along the rotation - which may have been nice.

We'll see how it works and rides once I get it out on the road!
How did you trim the skirts on the seat and is the cut clean? This task is on my list and I am thinking to use a small 3-3/8” circular saw, the cut could be cleaner than from using a jigsaw.

https://goo.gl/photos/2NCR3teXLSwNYSwN8
GeorgeRa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 09:35 PM   #439
mtncrawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeRa View Post
How did you trim the skirts on the seat and is the cut clean? This task is on my list and I am thinking to use a small 3-3/8” circular saw, the cut could be cleaner than from using a jigsaw.
Just marked a straight line on the plastic skirt using a sharpie - then used my aviation (sheet metal) snips to cut. The cut line was mostly clean -some jagged spots - but I have some nice course rasp files that I used to smooth/straighten the cut edge. Came out well - took 15 minutes to do both sides.
The Following User Says Thank You to mtncrawler For This Useful Post:
GeorgeRa (01-24-2020)
Old 02-11-2020, 10:01 PM   #440
81duck

Has anyone installed swivel bases on a 2019 with heated seats? I'm looking at the SportsCraft swivels because they seem to be the beefiest out there but I'm getting differing guidance on whether they will work with heated seats. Something about the wiring not fitting through the base of the swivel.

Also, I'm thinking about ordering the lower pedestal from Mercedes to account for the raise in height when adding the swivel base. Anyone done that that cares to share their experience in changing out the base and whether its a pretty straightforward job or requires a lot of fitting/cutting/welding etc.

Thanks in advance for any guidance.
81duck is offline   Reply With Quote