What is the best refrigerator for full time van living?

National Luna also looks suspiciously similar to Edgestar/Whynter in appearance, user manual, and controls, although they say they are manufactured in South Africa. I would be careful about the fine print with warranty claims- shipping these things is $$ especially if it has to go overseas- makes replacement more cost/time effective. If I could start over, I would go with Engel.
You're right, good point...several of these refrigerators start to look very similar to NL....including SnoMaster.

There's a too brief side by side comparison over on Expedition Portal where they write up the National Luna along side both Engel & ARB and write as if it's a long standing standard to beat. :idunno:

The Warranty is one difference. The Edgestars & Whynters only come with a one year warranty, and neither of those two companies readily herald what compressor is in them. The NL comes with a 3 year warranty on the Classic Line that have Danfross compressors and an 8 year warranty on their Legacy line which come with the new NL compressor.

One of the big, maybe the biggest factor, for me is what will fit well into the design of my build. Currently ... the NL 65L is winning that matrix.

OldWest

2004 T1N Westfalia
FYI Tidbit,

The original cooler in the Airstream Westfalia is 60 liters or 2.1 cubic feet or so. I found tbat the little shelf area on the left didn't cool much with the plastic divider in place

Other Westfalia models often have a 40 liter cooler.

A nice thing about a removable cooler is ability to move (although heavy). Could stick in another smaller vehicle for off trail (Jeep) or in a towed power boat. Reduce number of systems. Could find a portable hand cart.

markxengineering

Original compressor in my Edgestar was Chinese, since changed to danfoss by me. Perhaps edgestar and whynter are copies of National Luna. Price is about double but worth it if keeping longer than a year!

Last edited:
Switching out the chinese compressor to a Danfoss. Kudos to you.

Did you have a failure that brought that on? Or were you being ahead of the game by knowing the original would not hold up? Thanks Mark.

markxengineering

It was part of debugging a non-cooling fridge that occurred just after the 1 year warranty expired. The fault turned out to be a leak where evaporator aluminum is brazed to copper, but these tiny systems are hard to debug and it made financial sense to replace the compressor when the system was open as a preventative measure. Much better warranty on the Danfoss (I think 3 years? Maybe 5?). I have $1000 into my edgestar now, still Chinese controls, but with some new knowledge of AC repair skills. Fair trade for me but to most I’d recommend a more expensive product up front unless you like and have time to tinker.

mikecol

I am very happy with my Truck Fridge TF65. Unit has Danfoss BD35F-HD Compressor and works great. Like the exterior layout with the compressor on a upper cutout. Door is simple swing out with single handle/latch. Freezer is small but about right for my needs.

kcshoots

VanTripping.com
I agree that all of the cooler boxes in the video are not refrigerators. I have a Vitrifrigo DWX250, which has a large freezer drawer and large fridge. Have had it installed for about two years and never turned off. Maintains temp, very nice, easy to use. I keep popsicles and ice in the freezer at all times, as well as beer and chocolate in the fridge at all times, so hence why it is always left on. These are essentials for post mountain bike rides. This size of about 7 CF works for me and one other for about a week. I make all meals--not sure of any other way to eat other than in a restaurant.

jdl8r

I run with the ARB 50QT tub freezer / frig. It's amazing; quiet and uses far less energy than the equivalent Dometic standard door frig. Easily uses 50% less power for the same cooling. I can run it up to 2 full days on a single AGM battery with power to spare. It also has batter run-down protection; should the voltage drop, it will limit its power consumption. Also, I've had it 5 years and not one hiccup - seems bullet proof.

Onefin

I run with the ARB 50QT tub freezer / frig. It's amazing; quiet and uses far less energy than the equivalent Dometic standard door frig. Easily uses 50% less power for the same cooling. I can run it up to 2 full days on a single AGM battery with power to spare. It also has batter run-down protection; should the voltage drop, it will limit its power consumption. Also, I've had it 5 years and not one hiccup - seems bullet proof.
My 6 year old ARB has been bulletproof as well.
Super low power draw and quiet.
Easy to clean.
Holds lots of stuff and beer.
Gets cold fast.
People at ARB answer the phone....
I paid $700 shipped.

I Recently bought a New Isotherm freeline 115 for the (zero progress) build on the new van, as the wife wanted a front loader.
I’ll keep the ARB around for good measure, backup and possible freezer duties.

Top Bottom