Sprinter-Forum    

Go Back   Sprinter-Forum > Sprinter-Based RV's & Conversions > Sprinter RV's & Conversions Talk

Sprinter RV's & Conversions Talk Common features found in Sprinter RV's and Conversions.

Old 01-21-2020, 10:53 PM   #1
99sport

Default Left / right weight distribution considerations for build out?

How much left / right imbalance is too much? I am contemplating putting all my built-ins on the driverís side as this leaves the passengerís side flexible for motorcycles, moving large objects, etc. Perhaps 800 Ė 1000 lbs more weight on the drivers half of the vehicle. Is this too much? Anyone else do a similar build? If so, does the van lean?

This is in a 2005 T1N 2500 former FedEx cargo van. Weight is 5400 lbs empty. Cargo capacity empty is about 3,000 before the additions. The rear springs are STIFF! Iím not sure if the FedEx springs are the same as the other T1N cargo vans. Fed Ex vans came with a heavy duty (25mm) sway bar in front and standard (22mm) sway bar in the rear. Van has new Koni shocks.

Built ins would be: electrical system (liFePO4 batteries, inverter, etc - 150lbs), refrigerator (70 lbs plus food), water heater (35 lbs), water (300 lbs), factory diesel tank is unfortunately on the same side (150 lbs), misc cabinets (as lightweight as possible, but weight currently unknown) Ė all of these would be on the driverís side.
99sport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 03:45 PM   #2
ddunaway

Default Re: Left / right weight distribution considerations for build out?

A lot of vans end up like this with more weight on one side.....never seen a leaner. Most people perseverance over it a little though. Fuel is closer to centerline. Maybe move a heavy thing to passenger side. Batteries under passenger seat or something like that....
99sport (01-22-2020)
Old 01-22-2020, 04:08 PM   #3
Midwestdrifter

Thanked 7,514 Times in 4,750 Posts

Don't assume that having 1000lbs to the left will result in the left being 1000lbs heavier. Find the center of gravity of the weight/object. Then measure how far it is between the centerline of the vehicle and the wheel. If the center of gravity of the load is half way between the wheel centerline and the vehicle centerline, then 3/4 of the weight is on the near wheel, and 25% of the weight on the far wheel.

Assume the loaded weight is about 2500lbs. Shift that load so its 25% from one wheel centerline, and 75% from the other. The resulting load would be 1875lb on the near wheel, and 625lb on the far wheel (not counting the vehicles curb weight). Its pretty difficult to get a load that asymmetric, as you would need a lot of heavy gear right over the wheel well. More typically you would see something closer to 1500/1000 L/R. While significant, thats not going to be a big deal, as the front axle is still pretty balanced from the factory. On a fully loaded van at about 8,200lbs, thats an imbalance of about 500lbs or less than 10%.

Last edited by Midwestdrifter; 01-22-2020 at 09:37 PM.
Midwestdrifter is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Midwestdrifter For This Useful Post:
99sport (01-22-2020)
Old 01-22-2020, 09:25 PM   #4
99sport

My CAD sketch suggests the CG of my built-ins is about 24" from the van centerline. Using the math Midwestdrifter suggested above, and assuming the wheel centerlines are 67" apart (76" to outside edge with a 9" tire width), that puts 85% of the built-in load or the left side. Assuming 1000 lbs, which I think is quite a bit more than these items should weigh, that is 850 on the left and 150 on the right or 700 lbs extra on the left - or probably under 10% of the total vehicle weight. I am sure FedEx did much worse things than this to the van in its lifetime. I expect the van would have a higher cornering limit turning left than right, but I am not building a sports car. Hopefully it wont cause a noticeable lean - I will see if I can talk 5 or 6 of my neighbors into climbing in the van and checking what happens with a bubble level.

Attached are some cartoons of the layout I am contemplating.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sv-tri.jpg (46.5 KB, 67 views)
File Type: png sv-rear-cargo.PNG (17.9 KB, 65 views)
File Type: png sv-rear-dinette.PNG (15.3 KB, 59 views)
File Type: png SV-rear-bed.PNG (15.7 KB, 57 views)
File Type: jpg SV-plan.jpg (25.2 KB, 59 views)
Old 01-23-2020, 12:09 AM   #5
Bobnoxious

Thanked 5,627 Times in 4,042 Posts

Many mysteries can be unraveled here.

https://www.upfitterportal.com/en-us/tech-info/beg

I suspect many never consider center of gravity and weight and balance an issue. But it is!!! But how oh great Bobnoxious? Because of all the newfangled driver assist gadgets. Proper center of gravity, weight and balance will allow steering and braking stabilization algorithms to function optimally. BUT, MORE IMPORTANTLY, PERSERVE SAFE CONTROL OF VEHICLE. So, stay within the build envelope.

Last edited by Bobnoxious; 01-23-2020 at 12:13 AM.
Bobnoxious is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bobnoxious For This Useful Post:
99sport (01-23-2020)
Old 01-23-2020, 02:25 AM   #6
99sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobnoxious View Post
Many mysteries can be unraveled here.

https://www.upfitterportal.com/en-us/tech-info/beg

I suspect many never consider center of gravity and weight and balance an issue. But it is!!! But how oh great Bobnoxious? Because of all the newfangled driver assist gadgets. Proper center of gravity, weight and balance will allow steering and braking stabilization algorithms to function optimally. BUT, MORE IMPORTANTLY, PERSERVE SAFE CONTROL OF VEHICLE. So, stay within the build envelope.
Anyone have the body upfitter guide for the T1N?

The document linked in the post above says the left / right axle weights shall not differ by more than 4% and that the front axle weight shall be at least 25% of the gross vehicle RATING at all times (note that placing weight aft of the rear axle DECREASES the load on the front axle).
Old 01-23-2020, 07:45 PM   #7
autostaretx
Erratic Member

Thanked 8,335 Times in 6,054 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99sport View Post
Anyone have the body upfitter guide for the T1N?

The document linked in the post above says the left / right axle weights shall not differ by more than 4% and that the front axle weight shall be at least 25% of the gross vehicle RATING at all times (note that placing weight aft of the rear axle DECREASES the load on the front axle).
I would assume those guidelines apply to the T1N as well.

I'm digging thru my archives, and will update this message if i find more, but here's the 2003 as a starter:
2003SprinterBodyBuildersHandbook.pdf

Newer editions were better....

update: here's the T1N center-of-gravity calculations guide:
T1N-Center-of-Gravity-Calculations-MB-BodyBuilderInfoPortal.pdf

--dick (finished archive prowling)
((as always: this post may go through a couple of post-posting edits... so maybe give it ten minutes before commenting))

Last edited by autostaretx; 01-23-2020 at 08:04 PM.
autostaretx is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to autostaretx For This Useful Post:
99sport (01-23-2020), turbodave (01-23-2020)