Vermonters! HELP! inspection station recs?

planetx88

Hi all,

Our van failed inspection at Vermont Tire on Ball joints. After some quick research I found this is likely an erroneous diagnosis. Then brought the van to the only sprinter dealer in Northern VT, Charlebois, just had them inspect ball joints...same thing. they actually recommended full control arm replacement, BOO! They both saw the TSB from Diamler AG on the subject, and both ignored it. The person on the phone at Charlebois started giving me the "our head mechanic has 25 years of experience," so that conversation was short.

Looking for Recs for an inspection station anywhere in VT that understands this issue. Replacing the ball joints seems like a PITA, and control arms are expensive.

Will

lindenengineering

Hi all,

Our van failed inspection at Vermont Tire on Ball joints. After some quick research I found this is likely an erroneous diagnosis. Then brought the van to the only sprinter dealer in Northern VT, Charlebois, just had them inspect ball joints...same thing. they actually recommended full control arm replacement, BOO! They both saw the TSB from Diamler AG on the subject, and both ignored it. The person on the phone at Charlebois started giving me the "our head mechanic has 25 years of experience," so that conversation was short.

Looking for Recs for an inspection station anywhere in VT that understands this issue. Replacing the ball joints seems like a PITA, and control arms are expensive.

Will
First question
Why is it an onerous diagnosis?
Just because there is a old bulletin out there on ball joint movement does NOT immediately invalidate ACTUAL wear that might exist on the joint in your case.

Visual indications are obvious, such as tyre wear and if the rig by chance is placed on a set of turn tables, the wheel alignment machine will show up if wear is present on lock to lock operation tests. In extreme cases there will be a mechanical retort indicating wear when driving if you have the radio turned down!
Plus how many miles are on the rig?
100,000 200.,000 or more?
If more than 250,000 the chances are high that the joints are worn!

As for parts pricing.
The lower arms complete are about $200 per side with about 1,5 hours of labor time to replace. The actual ball joint is around $75 each which adds 0,75 additional time to the job to replace on each side .
In the realm of things, (erring on the side of caution) the parts are very cheap compared even to some of the domestic stuff out there !
Always remember this is a safety item and mechanical inspections are there to keep us (you and me) all safe on the road.
Dennis

Garandman

As mentioned above, hard to say without knowing what year, model and mileage.

Potholes beat the hell out of suspensions in New England. The shop where I had mine serviced knows about the Mercedes bulletin, and told me one side was worn out at 147,000 miles. I chose to have both sides replaced.

lindenengineering

Oh pot holes!!
Colorado has some doozies,
They will take out a set of front struts & ball joints within 80,000 miles.

On the other hand only a few weeks ago I went up to Mount Rushmore from Denver via Chadron State College with the missus in her Lexus.
Oh South Dakota roads! :thumbup::thumbup: 80 mph stuff!

Lovely smooth, well designed natural rolling radius curved bends and sealed substrate surfaces! What more can you ask for , other than a pint maybe!
Why Oh why can't all roads in the USA be like these ?:thinking:

Having worked in my post grad years for a UK county, I have some rudimentary knowledge of road making.
While my lovely missus during the trip is taking pictures of all those bloody buffalo , I am closely hunkered down studying the base material & sealing methods the roads under our feet. Obviously wife thinks I have lost leave of my senses--crazy bastard studying road surfaces & materials.

Now isn't it strange though!
Here we have Mr John Loudon McAdam, (born Sept. 21, 1756, Ayr, Ayrshire, Scot.—died Nov. 26, 1836, Moffat, who was civil engineer that revolutionized road making in England and brought it directly to the original 13 colonies. It meant that English American colonists could ride with comfort on European style finely built horse drawn carriages like the Studebaker.
How I wonder how many potholes there were before he had a go!

While out here we had Concode Coaches and Mud Wagons to handle the trails.
Guys if you want to study a bit or American ingenuity take a look at how the Concorde coach body was suspended.

So I ask what has happened to the famous free thinkers of New England?
A cherished spot in my English borne & bred sensibility.
Have you lost that spirit of Roger Williams (no connection to my name sake) the man that gave us separation church and state, pi$$ed off the establishment. The Narragansetts tribe gave him some land which is Providence RI today. To simply be a free thinker.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roger_Williams

In fact 30 years ago I cleverly spoofed the director of Fed Railroad Authority in Providence much to the glee of the governors of RI,MA, & CT

So I have ask what has happened our to modern day New Englanders to get their local Gov to fix the effing roads as free thinkers?
The spirit must live on!
Cheers Dennis
New England & Upstate NY a providence or hallowed spot for displaced Englishmen.:laughing:

Top Bottom