Turbo

loredo_sprinter

Today my 2005-140" Sprinter did something peculair, the turbo wouldn't turn on, which resulted in very low power on hills, even on the slightest hill, It would only go 40 miles an hour but on the flats it would go back up to 65, and even in neutral with the pedal to the metal, it lacked much power. However after turning it off and back on my problem went away, anyone know what this might be? Thanking you all in advance,

Jules :idunno:

KL2BE

Today my 2005-140" Sprinter did something peculair, the turbo wouldn't turn on, which resulted in very low power on hills, even on the slightest hill, It would only go 40 miles an hour but on the flats it would go back up to 65, and even in neutral with the pedal to the metal, it lacked much power. However after turning it off and back on my problem went away, anyone know what this might be? Thanking you all in advance,

Jules :idunno:
Well, it could be the trusty (not) Turbo Resonator:rant:.
Another possibility (one of many) is a plugged-up air-filter:hmmm:.
Last winter while driving the Alaska Highway our air filter filled with snow dust:yell:. The restricted air-flow caused the computer to turn off the Turbo:bash:. After stopping for 1/2 hour it would work again (apparently the computer retest itself) but would turn-off again as soon as high power was called for the air-fow reading again became anomolous and caused the computer to think Turbo failure.
This time of year it's not going to be snow:laughing:; but could be restricted air-flow from another cause:idunno:.
CHECK AIR FILTER BEFORE SEEING A DEALER!!!:professor:RESTRICTED AIR FLOW WILL NOT BE COVERED BY WARRANTY, EVEN IF IT IS A Daimler Chrysler DESIGN DEFECT AS WITH THE SNORKEL'S PROPENSITY TO PICK UP SNOW DUST.:censored:

BaywoodBill

pre-Yuppiedom
Doesn't sound like the turbo resonater... probably couldn't have maintained more that 40 to 45 mph and shifting wouldn't have made a difference.

As you say, it was hot and you had a heavier load. How was the rest of the trip?

I like KL2BE suggestion of a clogged air filter except your symptoms weren't like his. Maybe just the heat and the load.

mean_in_green

>2,000,000m in MB vans
Sounds like something's not quite right.

Have you read this thread?

There are quite a few similar ones besides, if you have a while to search through. Have a look and see if you can find any familiar traits.

Irregular turbo operation is a classic T1N fault, but may not be the turbo itself.

Ideally you need a diagnostic plug in to get to the bottom of things.

loredo_sprinter

Well from what I've read on the post you just posted, my issue didn't involve any smoke. The van is ok again, It happened yesterday like I said, then all I did was just turn off the engine and turned it back on. I've driven a good 100 miles since the said incident occured..I'll have to keep an eye on it for sure... yeah the limp mode I believe only allows one to go a max of about 40 mph, while I was able to do 65 mph on the flat parts of the freeway. I'll have to take a look at the air filter, it's been a while since I've cleaned the K&N

D

dilleyoshempy

i just had this problem about a week ago, dealer replaced the EGR, they said i was lucky it could be covered under warranty because the part alone is around 700 dollars? good luck with your van! i posted a thread somewhere around here about the situation btw

jdcaples

Not Suitable w/220v Gen
SprinterParts.Net - 2006 Sprinter EGR valve part number 5166850AA - $437.41.

I don't know if you have a 2006, but I wouldn't expect other T1N EGRs to be nearly $300.00 more...

-Jon

BaywoodBill

pre-Yuppiedom
Well from what I've read on the post you just posted, my issue didn't involve any smoke. The van is ok again, It happened yesterday like I said, then all I did was just turn off the engine and turned it back on. I've driven a good 100 miles since the said incident occured..I'll have to keep an eye on it for sure... yeah the limp mode I believe only allows one to go a max of about 40 mph, while I was able to do 65 mph on the flat parts of the freeway. I'll have to take a look at the air filter, it's been a while since I've cleaned the K&N

When I wrote that you could not have exceeded 40 to 45 mph I meant "on the hills". When we had the resonater problem we were able to get to 65 (indicated) on the flats. And we, also, were able to go full out after having stopped, turned off the engine, and restarted. We could run OK for 10 to 20 minutes before it went into the lhm again. I hadn't fully read your post to understand that you were hitting 65 on the flat; I thought it was on the hills.

It helps if I read the entire message before I put my fingers on the keys. Could be a resonater.

Top Bottom