abs/esr/asp indicators

kruzzer

First let me appoligize for long post..

2014 View MB Sprinter 3500..
about 100 miles into a trip these thee indicators came on.
Everything seemed to be working except the cruise control shut off.
I pulled off asap and checked the manual and it vaguely said I could have a
breaking and tire spin problem caused by a low voltage problem. I had a meter with
me so I checked the battery voltage,12.7 the then the charging voltage with motor running
14.5. Since everything seemed ok I continued on to my destination about another 150 miles with no problem. To fast forward a bit 4 days latter started home with the lights still on. About 3 miles down the road lights went off and cruise control was working again. 100 later it started all over again. Got home with no problems but am obviously concerned. Has anyone seen this before? I have an appointment to bring it in to Mercedes but would like to have a better handle on it before hand.
Thanks in advance

Attachments

Mike DZ

2016 View 24V (2015 3500)
Yes, there are a couple of threads on this. One likely cause is your wheel speed sensors. I had 4 different episodes, ranging from mild, like yours, to entering a limp mode and ending up with a full engine shutdown at 45 mph in traffic. In the various episodes, the corrective response ranged from power cycle (like yours) to eventually replacing 3 of 4 wheel speed sensors and finally replacing the ABS "brick" as the electronic portion of it was throwing garbage onto the CANBUS.

Depending on when your vehicle went into service you may still be under warranty - the wheel speed sensors are covered for 5 years under the emission portion - at least mine were, check your warranty booklet and don't assume the service writer will know.

edfrompa

2008 ROADTREK on F/L 2500
Seen this a few times. Sometimes, on uneven ground at low speed, maybe in a turn... a little wheel slip and that's what you get. Shut off, drive a little and it clears. However, this is only one possible scenario that gives these symptoms. Speed sensor fault --any wheel--could give the same. I can sort it a bit with my ICarsoft MB II which has paid for itself many times over.
Just my humble $0.02, others may disagree,
Best of luck, Ed M

Geriakt

2017 View 24J
I has this exact issue in my 2017 view. It was a bad wheel speed sensor possibly caused by brake dust or rust from the rotors. Fixed under warranty.

kruzzer

Thanks Mike, Ed and Tom..
all seems to point in part to the speed sensor or the abs unit. I have an appointment next week so we will see what happens
Rich

Winterbagoal

2018 Winnebago Navion 24V on a 2017 Cab Chassis
Also have had the ESP indicators light up when driving in a "brisk" cross wind in the early days when I was getting broken in by the Navion. I have had it once or twice when exiting parking lots incurring the exaggerated "curb roll" on rare occasions. Never bothered to follow up, as each one cleared on it's own, and the descriptions in the manual implied it could happen in those scenarios. Also a few google searches seemed to corroborate.

kruzzer

Just spoke with my MB service advisor and he concurs 97% wheel speed sensor. I bring it in on Wednesday...lets see what happens
rich

Like Geriakt my 2018 (2016 Chassis) had to have the wheel speed sensors replaced under warranty. At first the light and message came when it rained and then after a while never went off.

Top Bottom