Sprinter-Forum    

Go Back   Sprinter-Forum > VS30 Sprinters > VS30 Talk

VS30 Talk General Discussions related to VS30 W907 Sprinters.

Old 02-27-2020, 05:51 AM   #21
Michlb

Default Re: EK1 Espar Power Question

Alright, I found a Mercedes service station that installed the aux battery for me according to the MB bulletin that can be found on the upfitter Portal. They then hooked up the heater to the aux battery port.

Result: Heater seems to run without interruption. Apparently, you just canít install this thing just with the starter battery.
Michlb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 04:08 PM   #22
elemental

Rough rules of thumb for lead acid batteries (does not apply directly to other battery technologies):
  • Battery capacities are often advertised in units of amp-hours that assume a 20-hour constant current discharge (i.e., a 95 amp-hour battery is rated to be able to supply 95/20=4.75 amps for 20 hours)
  • Depth of discharge affects the "cycle lifetime" of a battery; not all of the advertised battery capacity is "usable" if the battery is intended to have a decent operational lifetime:
    • Starter batteries shouldn't be discharged more than 20% of their advertised capacity
    • "Deep cycle" batteries shouldn't be discharged more than 50% of their advertised capacity
  • Drawing a current higher than the 20-hour discharge rate diminishes the available stored energy progressively faster
    • a 10-hour discharge rate will drain the battery much more than twice as fast as a 20-hour discharge rate)
  • The longer a battery is left in a state of discharge, the harder it will be to restore it to its rated capacity
  • Flooded lead acid (wet) batteries are the most sensitive to current draw/depth of discharge effects on lifetime; Absorbed Glass Mat (AGM) and Gel lead-acid batteries can be more resilient but should not be expected to ignore abuse

The Sprinter factory batteries are not the right technology/capacity for sustained RV-style use even if they are AGM and not flooded lead acid.

A 95 amp-hour starter battery discharged at 4.75 (95/20) amps for 4 hours will be at 80% state of charge. Discharging to this level regularly will probably reduce the operational lifetime of the battery. Discharging below this level will probably significantly reduce the lifetime.

If the Sprinter factory aux battery has a 70 amp-hour capacity battery and it is discharged at 3.5 amps (70/20) for 10 hours it would be at 50% state of charge. If the battery is a "deep cycle" battery this can be done regularly with minor impact to battery lifetime. If it is not a "deep cycle" battery than this will probably reduce its operational lifetime significantly if done more than occasionally.

If anyone plans to regularly run more than some LED lights or charge a mobile phone for long periods of time without the Sprinter engine running, then they should perform load calculations to determine their power needs and upgrade their battery storage technology/capacity accordingly.
Old 02-29-2020, 09:06 PM   #23
deyer
DIY

For any of you that are still on this link:
I am in the middle of installing the D2l/S2 (it was ordered for a Sprinter). I have spent almost 2 days with the electrical which was suppose to be "plug and play"! I think I have finally figured out the power source ( the fuel pump line was simple) but now I still have wires that are dangling from the harness - there is a power line which ended up with only a red and brown - not two reds and ground, a wire with a lot of little wires - assume that goes to the controller. The controller came with another wiring harness, so I am really confused how to finish this up. It looks like I have to make up a plug for the controller. If anyone has experience with this, please comment. I am thinking they sent me a commercial kit and not the Sprinter kit.
deyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2020, 02:06 AM   #24
Wreckingcrewsdad

Quote:
Originally Posted by deyer View Post
For any of you that are still on this link:
I am in the middle of installing the D2l/S2 (it was ordered for a Sprinter). I have spent almost 2 days with the electrical which was suppose to be "plug and play"! I think I have finally figured out the power source ( the fuel pump line was simple) but now I still have wires that are dangling from the harness - there is a power line which ended up with only a red and brown - not two reds and ground, a wire with a lot of little wires - assume that goes to the controller. The controller came with another wiring harness, so I am really confused how to finish this up. It looks like I have to make up a plug for the controller. If anyone has experience with this, please comment. I am thinking they sent me a commercial kit and not the Sprinter kit.
On the kit there are three branches/arms/legs of wires... the power supply, controller and pump. Nothing else is needed if you have the easy start pro. The power supply wires should be the only soldering needed, the rest are plugs.
Wreckingcrewsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2020, 08:16 PM   #25
Shansen

Definitely learned that the heater needs to be hooked up to the F150 and not the EK1 30 T terminal. Since changing to the F150 I have not experienced the power interruption problems.
Shansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2020, 03:05 AM   #26
Deemers

Deyer it sounds like you have the same harness that i ended up with. the long harness that doesn't have a connector isn't used in our application. use the additional harness that came with the easy start pro, and install that jumper connector on the far end of the same harness.
Deemers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2020, 03:09 AM   #27
Michlb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shansen View Post
Definitely learned that the heater needs to be hooked up to the F150 and not the EK1 30 T terminal. Since changing to the F150 I have not experienced the power interruption problems.

Do you have an aux battery?
Old 03-03-2020, 05:16 AM   #28
Shansen

Yes I do
Shansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2020, 04:11 PM   #29
Michlb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shansen View Post
Yes I do

Yes, we did the same after I had an aux battery installed, and also donít seem to have any power interruption problems any more. I am just not sure if the F150 terminal would work without the aux battery. But I decided it was a bad idea to drain the starter battery anyway.

I will eventually install a larger house electrical system to avoid deep discharge on the aux battery, which will likely kill it pretty quickly. But for now, it is rare that I would run the heater extensively. I donít live in snow, just do occasional trips.

Tags
electrical problem, espar d2