O2 sensor bank one sensor two (2014 i4)

D

Deleted member 50714

dinner with my friends is the best of all worlds. I'll bring pot and beer!
Unless your cultivating your own stash, you will never know what's being sprayed on the plants. For example, pesticides???

elemental

Wherever you go, there you are.
Now you can go to rock bottom buy the cheapo pizza on sale, microwave it making sure you cook it properly. Obviously risks involved with the latter and it takes time to get that pizza to point where it is edible.
The sit down option costs more but its guaranteed to satisfy. But costs more!
It's that plain & simple and the same apples to car repairs! Except I wish the profit margins were higher in auto repairs.:rolleyes:
Dennis
Pizza is dead simple to make at home. Flour, yeast, olive oil, salt, and water for the dough. Some tomatoes, oregano, basil, and garlic for the sauce. Cheese for the top. Bake in oven 10 minutes at 500 dgf on a "pizza stone" and Bob's your uncle. No need to hassle over the high-priced shop or the frozen pizza bin at the grocery.

I agree with you about auto repairs, mostly. The problem is that there are some high-priced Italian quality ingredient shops turning out discount bin frozen pizza work. With the pizza you can generally tell from the box/environment/price what quality to expect. Not so with the auto repair shops, especially when the one attached to the new vehicle showroom turns out to be discount bin quality.

In general you don't get *more* than what you pay for, but there are places that happily mark up prices for those who will pay.

220817a

Independent & Self Reliant - From Chattanooga TN
Sorry guys but I love reading some of these posts.
Let's take this one.
Now believe it or not, but there is a lot of similarities between the auto repair business and food/hospitality. Both must make a profit and BOTH are a service business so basic business matras apply.
Now using food as analogy & popular dish called a pizza.
Cost to make including baking is about $3, 00 & retails out by one of the chains at $15,00, maybe $17,00 if they have a dining area!

Total gross profit percentage is around a 0,20 :1 profit margin or business owners will use an anticipated gross profit margin to help them price their products. While other factors -- such as competition and demand -- may play into pricing decisions, a gross profit margin is a good starting point for product pricing. For example, if a product costs $8 to produce, and your gross profit margin is 20 percent, you can calculate your pricing by dividing your cost by (1 - 0.2). In this case, $8 divided by .8 would yield a price of $10.

You can also use your gross profit margin ratio to help you set and monitor sales goals for your company.

Because costs for raw materials, labor and manufacturing expenses all play into your profit margin ratio, a change in this ratio over time could mean it's time to look for new suppliers or review your pricing structure.

So with that basic mantra you Mr Consumer GooRoo get the call from the kids "Pizza"!
You walk into the restaurant and see $17,00 for a pizza you want, or take out @ $15.
Then along comes a punter called called Kajtec and says look get the take out, and eat it in the car. Maybe toss the packaging trash out at the shopping mall exit. Its cheaper.,
Yes GoRoo justifies it by saying yes these people look slippery at the counter !

Then a few folks back it the queue called DIMA say both of you are stupid! Just go across the mall to Kings Schlepers and you can buy the very same brand frozen for $6,00 and ask the Deli counter to cook it in their microwave.
BUT wait you see some obscure brand on sale for $3,00 so you buy that, 'Cos it looks the same.

So the hungry kids wolf it down and then and then, there is a reaction to this cheap on sale pizza that you bought. They get sick after complaining it doesn't' taste right, it's not hot, & we are used with Mom to going inside the restaurant and have a wood fire cooked pizza. With genuine Italian makings & fixings not dubious crap Dad . And missus barks "what's wrong with you"! You then get a scalding that only a woman can do!!

So went wrong with this.
To save money, buy, and keep everyone happy & not sick!

The answer is to obviously buy the Italian take out cooked in a wood fired pizza oven.
OR pay that bit extra for the convenience and have them serve it to you
Or get the same and ask the restaurant to cook the frozen pizza in their oven for a fee.

Now you can go to rock bottom buy the cheapo pizza on sale, microwave it making sure you cook it properly. Obviously risks involved with the latter and it takes time to get that pizza to point where it is edible.
The sit down option costs more but its guaranteed to satisfy. But costs more!
It's that plain & simple and the same apples to car repairs! Except I wish the profit margins were higher in auto repairs.:rolleyes:
Dennis
You should have been a writer and not a mechanic...

lindenengineering

Dima my friend
I stopped being a mechanic years ago and used auto repair experience, business acumen, and UK MBA degree to be an entrepreneur working for "ME" (not a corporation or Gov entity) focusing in on this auto repair & reconstruction business, then latterly the hospitality services business .
My first successful break was in beautiful Venezuela, the land of Eternal Springtime more than 35 years ago where I closed a deal for 1,7 million quid and all negotiations conducted in Spanish. (That turned into 77 million quid deal!)

I still have a mothballed factory down there where i built transit buses.

I am off to India shorty to do --Yes entrepreneurial activities.
Mechanicing these days i delegate to my crew .
Dennis

220817a

Still... You should have been a writer, you would have been more successful...

lindenengineering

Still... You should have been a writer, you would have been more successful...
Clearly you don't know much about writing novels as a profession.
Its a very wealthy activity, for the well healed few. Many successful start ups like A J Rowlings, spend years trying to write a successful series living in penury.
That's not for me as I have briefly outlined
BUT maybe when I retire (already having spent 62 years in this auto business) & if ever do that I will consider it.
Thanks for the advise.
Dennis

220817a

Clearly you don't know much about writing novels as a profession.
Its a very wealthy activity, for the well healed few. Many successful start ups like A J Rowlings, spend years trying to write a successful series living in penury.
That's not for me as I have briefly outlined
BUT maybe when I retire (already having spent 62 years in this auto business) & if ever do that I will consider it.
Thanks for the advise.
Dennis
You are 100% correct... I don't know anything about writing novels. I think you would make a great writer, as I already said, or a preacher... Preachers come up with a lot of novels too. There is a new suggestion for you :rad:... Even though a agree with the man that wrote the statement below...

"Die Religion ... ist das Opium des Volkes"

You should know the man since he had an English brother by the name of Frederick E.

lindenengineering

You are 100% correct... I don't know anything about writing novels. I think you would make a great writer, as I already said, or a preacher... Preachers come up with a lot of novels too. There is a new suggestion for you :rad:... Even though a agree with the man that wrote the statement below...

"Die Religion ... ist das Opium des Volkes"

You should know the man since he had an English brother by the name of Frederick E.
Well in mitigation I did get quite a few commendations at corporate level writing my monthly reports from Baghdad over a 6 year period.

Divided into basic tech, local, & political topics , most engineer/management/sales reports trickling in monthly from all corners of the world & would be largely regarded as boring.
So with plenty of time on my hands I added some degree of "entertainment and comic relief" to the otherwise hum drum reports.
I got the word from a parts director and then the senior directer from Overseas Manufacturing that the whole organization from Heavy Truck to the Car Divs eagerly waited for my reports publications very month. The demand rose to thousand of copies I was told !

Regrettably my almost last report coming from "me" Our Man on Territory was condemning the build /engineering application of a Cummins Engine in a bus. A bit like this Blurrtech fiasco BS.
Pointing a finger discretely at cost cutting policies by "engineering" as the root cause, it didn't get received too well at corporate level. It simply lacked, shall we say. the flavor of life in developing countries!

So in keeping with the my latent creativity together with the publication resources available in the USA. (which I often write as the magical kingdom of Gringolandia)
, I plagiarized a particular poignant cartoon from the back of the US trade magazine Bus World.
Then added it as an addendum to the report. Called "Bus Whirled"!

I am told some individuals found the report to be highly entertaining on the merits of the cartoon page alone, others did not. :laughing:

Which now brings me full circle to this topic.
Different nationalities have different senses of humor.

So referring to a friend of mine who was always a life long villain, he said
Dennis when I deal with the Yankee Mafia, they at least have have sense of humor!
I have now got to deal with this screw up :censored: with the German Mafia and they have NO SENSE of humor.:rolleyes:

So moral of this small repartee.
Keeping a sense of humor about a Sprinter van and its dirty stinking little diesel engine . Essentially boiled down it is just a piece of bent iron, a consumer durable nothing more & nothing less. Give another 10 years and it will largely cease to exist in our consumer based world .
Following though your comment about preaching the Biblical expression:-
Whatsoever a man soweth, that shall he also reap. comes to mind!
Galtians V1 & Proverbs & I believe you can find the reference to it in the Quran within the 5 opening phrases.
It seems at present to seriously modify the emissions system on your own van can be largely regarded as to be fine. The equal to subsistence farming so to speak! But to do it commercially on larger levels that "sowing" can invoke the wrath of those laws that govern us whether man made or otherwise.
And We know one such one such occasional contributor to this forum and has suffered a financial famine due to over sowing & reaping activities.

So to end this preach a you have suggested its really this boils down to having three choices for the OP.
Option #1 Get it fixed by a dealer and eat the cost.
Option #2 Buy the genuine parts at an MB outlet, fit the stuff yourself,(reasonable easy task) Then scud over to the dealer and say Please program Mister

The standard cost is $175 , Less than dinner for the family at greasy Applebees!
aka Crap wine, Crap Cheese, Crap food!

Option #3 Buy aftermarket cheaper parts spend weeks getting your option together and have it all (at least hope) its works for bargain based pricing. At the same time you have this big ugly van on your front yard pi$$ing off the neighbors with a new found lawn ornament!!
I would preferably to have garden gnomes!

So there endeth the lesson . With some proverbs chucked in for goodwill!.
Yes maybe I missed the calling to the cloth my son!
Spectacles Testicles Wallet and watch--A good Irish Catlick blessing!
Mon Senior:hmmm:
Dennis.

220817a

Well in mitigation I did get quite a few commendations at corporate level writing my monthly reports from Baghdad over a 6 year period.

Divided into basic tech, local, & political topics , most engineer/management/sales reports trickling in monthly from all corners of the world & would be largely regarded as boring.
So with plenty of time on my hands I added some degree of "entertainment and comic relief" to the otherwise hum drum reports.
I got the word from a parts director and then the senior directer from Overseas Manufacturing that the whole organization from Heavy Truck to the Car Divs eagerly waited for my reports publications very month. The demand rose to thousand of copies I was told !

Regrettably my almost last report coming from "me" Our Man on Territory was condemning the build /engineering application of a Cummins Engine in a bus. A bit like this Blurrtech fiasco BS.
Pointing a finger discretely at cost cutting policies by "engineering" as the root cause, it didn't get received too well at corporate level. It simply lacked, shall we say. the flavor of life in developing countries!

So in keeping with the my latent creativity together with the publication resources available in the USA. (which I often write as the magical kingdom of Gringolandia)
, I plagiarized a particular poignant cartoon from the back of the US trade magazine Bus World.
Then added it as an addendum to the report. Called "Bus Whirled"!

I am told some individuals found the report to be highly entertaining on the merits of the cartoon page alone, others did not. :laughing:

Which now brings me full circle to this topic.
Different nationalities have different senses of humor.

So referring to a friend of mine who was always a life long villain, he said
Dennis when I deal with the Yankee Mafia, they at least have have sense of humor!
I have now got to deal with this screw up :censored: with the German Mafia and they have NO SENSE of humor.:rolleyes:

So moral of this small repartee.
Keeping a sense of humor about a Sprinter van and its dirty stinking little diesel engine . Essentially boiled down it is just a piece of bent iron, a consumer durable nothing more & nothing less. Give another 10 years and it will largely cease to exist in our consumer based world .
Following though your comment about preaching the Biblical expression:-
Whatsoever a man soweth, that shall he also reap. comes to mind!
Galtians V1 & Proverbs & I believe you can find the reference to it in the Quran within the 5 opening phrases.
It seems at present to seriously modify the emissions system on your own van can be largely regarded as to be fine. The equal to subsistence farming so to speak! But to do it commercially on larger levels that "sowing" can invoke the wrath of those laws that govern us whether man made or otherwise.
And We know one such one such occasional contributor to this forum and has suffered a financial famine due to over sowing & reaping activities.

So to end this preach a you have suggested its really this boils down to having three choices for the OP.
Option #1 Get it fixed by a dealer and eat the cost.
Option #2 Buy the genuine parts at an MB outlet, fit the stuff yourself,(reasonable easy task) Then scud over to the dealer and say Please program Mister

The standard cost is $175 , Less than dinner for the family at greasy Applebees!
aka Crap wine, Crap Cheese, Crap food!

Option #3 Buy aftermarket cheaper parts spend weeks getting your option together and have it all (at least hope) its works for bargain based pricing. At the same time you have this big ugly van on your front yard pi$$ing off the neighbors with a new found lawn ornament!!
I would preferably to have garden gnomes!

So there endeth the lesson . With some proverbs chucked in for goodwill!.
Yes maybe I missed the calling to the cloth my son!
Spectacles Testicles Wallet and watch--A good Irish Catlick blessing!
Mon Senior:hmmm:
Dennis.
Pretty good preaching... I like it :clapping: I actually see only 2 choices and not 3 or more...

There is another verse/metaphor in the bible, it goes like this "From the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks"

You tent to promote and encourage people to be dependent, on dealers and shops. It is good for business... I encourage people to be free and independent, bad for business...

G00R00

Ohhhkay . . .

I ordered and installed 9053403 sensors up and downstream . . . I cut the wires between the module and the sensor and spliced in new sensors. It seems that these sensors may possibly return slightly different values than the previous pair.

My question is this: Is the module part some sort of sensor as well? I assumed that the module was ONLY a Computer mystery box?

When parts are "scn coded in" does that mean that the serial number is approved by mother MB or that the parameters for this generation of sensors is simply updated in a chart of data/range acceptable type of list. Or both?!

At any rate, now I'm getting a new code P2201 as soon as I start the engine. No limited starts yet, but I don't want to get there again . . .

I feel like I would be better off to approach this as a hacker.

Can I drive like this? Can SCN coding fix it?

-N8

220817a

Ohhhkay . . .

I ordered and installed 9053403 sensors up and downstream . . . I cut the wires between the module and the sensor and spliced in new sensors. It seems that these sensors may possibly return slightly different values than the previous pair.

My question is this: Is the module part some sort of sensor as well? I assumed that the module was ONLY a Computer mystery box?

When parts are "scn coded in" does that mean that the serial number is approved by mother MB or that the parameters for this generation of sensors is simply updated in a chart of data/range acceptable type of list. Or both?!

At any rate, now I'm getting a new code P2201 as soon as I start the engine. No limited starts yet, but I don't want to get there again . . .

I feel like I would be better off to approach this as a hacker.

Can I drive like this? Can SCN coding fix it?

-N8
The control module is what is calibrated, the sensor itself is not. The control module is what controls the voltage of the sensor and has all the parameters for the sensor, and the control module is what communicates with the ECU.

In the case that you describe, where the sensor is changed but not the control module, the first thing you need to try is to reset the adaptation for both NOx sensors. I can't tell you for sure if that will work since I have never had a situation like this, but it is worth a try. I have installed used NOx sensors a few times to fix the issue with NOx sensors and the only thing I had to do to make it all work was to reset the adaptation of the NOx sensors. The complete (sensor and module) new ones need to be calibrated (SCN) for sure.

To approach this as a hacker it requires special tools and software... Not cheap.

220817a

Pardon the cheesy music, here is a one minute video of what I want to do . . . https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=osY2Khcscng

Does your Mini-VCI with xentry setup allow you to do this without contacting MB?

Is this snap-on doing the same thing as your xentry setup?

-cheers
The Mini-VCI that you saw in the link will do it with both OpenShell or Passthru version of Xentry since it specifically made for Xentry. The Toyota Mini-VCI I'm not sure if it will do it or communicate. Don't have any experience with it...

As far as snap-on from the video, yes it will do almost everything Xentry does, but costs a lot more and it requires a yearly subscription for coding... But it is a bit easier to use, i think. Xentry sometimes gets confusing since a lot is in German and not completely translated in English, especially in the developer mode. Vediamo is the same way too.

G00R00

OK! Last 10 min trip to the dealer . . . they programed in the two nox sensors that I spliced in, and PRESTO! Everything is happy!

I just finished 2 150mile trips and have almost finished a tank of gas now with no new problems! $160 (Plus $200 dealer coding) instead of $1800!! Took me 1/2 hour to splice in new sensors.

I will certainly purchase a cable that allows me to do my own programming as soon as budget allows!

Cheers and Thanks!

asimba2

ourkaravan.com
Thanks for taking this on. When I made the choice to buy a MB over the other brands, I did so knowing that the powertrain is sound but the emissions system is where I was likely to have trouble. As these vehicles age, threads like this are the only way that some of us will be able to afford to keep our vehicles on the road and keep the air breathable at the same time.

Top Bottom