Opinions on Passenger vs Crew for 2019

HelloPitty

I'm looking forward to buying a 2019 Sprinter, but need some opinions on which to get.
I'm here to learn and appreciate the knowledge you all have here and I do know some opinions will vary.

My current Sprinter is a 2004 Cargo which I have converted into a partial camping van. The left cabinet near the front is a pull-down, Murphy style bed. I don't have any tanks or running water, but this van has served me well and I tend to use it as a cargo van more often than a camping van.

My only dislike (and it's not the van's fault), is that it rides like a cargo van, kind of a stiff, rough ride. My thoughts are, I'd like to keep my 2004 and use it strictly as a cargo van and buy a new 2019 van for a camping van.

First I'd like the 144 wb instead of the 158 I have. I'd like a shorter van as I feel as though I'd use it for around town driving as well. Plus when I tow my 13' Scamp, the entire rig will be shorter. I am now at 35 feet when they're both attached.

HelloPitty

Will the passenger and crew vans both have the same suspension? I am looking for passenger style comfort and will possibly buy the passenger van. I don't need to have all those windows in my camper build which is why I am considering the crew van, I just want to be sure it has the same suspension as the passenger van.

autostaretx

Erratic Member
In T1N days, the passenger model came with "comfort springs" ... and there was a very noticeable difference during our test drives (especially over speed bumps). That's the primary reason we sprung for "passenger".

I just checked the "equipment" book for the 2019: the option to ask for is the "CB1" "Suspension for Comfort and Load Protection"

Quoth:
This suspension option offers increased comfort from the adapted dampening characteristics of the shock absorbers on front and rear axle. It additionally has an application of double-leaf parabolic springs with progressive spring characteristic which increase the driving comfort in unloaded vehicles. The spring is designed to be “soft” under low applied force, and becomes “firmer” when the vehicle is loaded, ensuring suitably firm suspension properties.
Notice: Depending on the model this code can be combined with code CB7, Stabilization Stage I, or code CB8, Stabilization Stage II.

-----------
which leads us to:
CB7: The code CB7 provides enhanced roll stabilization with enhanced body.CB7 reduces body roll behavior
through increased load/body center position. Depending on the GVWR, stabilizers are mounted to the
front and rear axle and under circumstances with larger diameter. In addition, shock absorbers that
have adapted characteristic are mounted.
and
CB8: The code CB8 provides enhanced roll stabilization sand body damping compared to the stabilization
stage I. Stabilizers in this package come with larger diameters that are mounted to the front and rear
axle. In addition, the shock absorbers come with adapted characteristic for the compression and rebound
stage which are mounted on front and rear axle. The leaf springs are amped up with increased rigidity which are mounted on the rear axle.

(hmmm... to me, "rigidity" sounds like "stiffer")

--dick

Last edited:

wquek

Work in progress
If you really want a better ride quality, you should consider upgrades from Van Compass or Agile. Their fox suspension kits have a huge following.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dynaco1

Passenger versus crew floors:

I am curious if the bench seat in crew van fasten to floor in same manner as in passenger van. The long lines in floor are visible in the passenger factory pictures. Are seats adjustable; slide in tracks?

sailquik

HelloPity,
You realize, of course, that to get the softer suspension package, you most likely will need to order a "build"
from an authorized MB Sprinter or Freightliner Sprinter dealer.
It may take some time to have the factory build in all the options you want, but you aren't going to find
the options you want/need buying an "off the lot" Sprinter.
Off the lot means you get whatever options someone at the dealer, or at MBVans USA thinks should be included.
Chances are that person does not drive a Sprinter regularly (if at all) so they have no clue what people in the
real world actually want/need in their Sprinters.
After 3 "off the lot's" (due to needing one NOW after deer crashes in 2 cases) I sat down and worked through
all the options with my fav dealer's brand manager and was able to get everything I liked, without anything I
didn't want.
So, as soon as the full range of options stabilizes, I will order another custom build to my likes/specifications.
Doing this will add some lead time, but it's the only way to get all the things you like and need.
Roger

RickW

HelloPity,
You realize, of course, that to get the softer suspension package, you most likely will need to order a "build"
from an authorized MB Sprinter or Freightliner Sprinter dealer.
It may take some time to have the factory build in all the options you want, but you aren't going to find
the options you want/need buying an "off the lot" Sprinter.
Off the lot means you get whatever options someone at the dealer, or at MBVans USA thinks should be included.
Chances are that person does not drive a Sprinter regularly (if at all) so they have no clue what people in the
real world actually want/need in their Sprinters.
After 3 "off the lot's" (due to needing one NOW after deer crashes in 2 cases) I sat down and worked through
all the options with my fav dealer's brand manager and was able to get everything I liked, without anything I
didn't want.
So, as soon as the full range of options stabilizes, I will order another custom build to my likes/specifications.
Doing this will add some lead time, but it's the only way to get all the things you like and need.
Roger
Hi Roger
im just curious on your statement re "when the full range of options stabilises"
i just got my wish list order back from my dealer and from the 115 options i added[i did a lot of research and really want all of them]] the dealer removed all but around 40
said they are not available in Australia.
just wondering what i can do to get as many option in my build as i can?
thanks
Rick

HelloPitty

Just thought I'd add an update.
I have decided against buying a new Sprinter at this time.
I just feel as though my 2004 158wb has a lot of miles left in it. Plus I've done some updates to the interior.
My recall with instrument cluster change was successful. I'm having some services done to it this Thursday.

It is also a little bit hard for me to justify $52,000 for one since it is just used periodically.
If I were younger, making payments for 5 years wouldn't bother me as much.
I do like the new ones, but probably not for me.

jensen43

In T1N days, the passenger model came with "comfort springs" ... and there was a very noticeable difference during our test drives (especially over speed bumps). That's the primary reason we sprung for "passenger".

I just checked the "equipment" book for the 2019: the option to ask for is the "CB1" "Suspension for Comfort and Load Protection"

Quoth:
This suspension option offers increased comfort from the adapted dampening characteristics of the shock absorbers on front and rear axle. It additionally has an application of double-leaf parabolic springs with progressive spring characteristic which increase the driving comfort in unloaded vehicles. The spring is designed to be “soft” under low applied force, and becomes “firmer” when the vehicle is loaded, ensuring suitably firm suspension properties.
Notice: Depending on the model this code can be combined with code CB7, Stabilization Stage I, or code CB8, Stabilization Stage II.

-----------
which leads us to:
CB7: The code CB7 provides enhanced roll stabilization with enhanced body.CB7 reduces body roll behavior
through increased load/body center position. Depending on the GVWR, stabilizers are mounted to the
front and rear axle and under circumstances with larger diameter. In addition, shock absorbers that
have adapted characteristic are mounted.
and
CB8: The code CB8 provides enhanced roll stabilization sand body damping compared to the stabilization
stage I. Stabilizers in this package come with larger diameters that are mounted to the front and rear
axle. In addition, the shock absorbers come with adapted characteristic for the compression and rebound
stage which are mounted on front and rear axle. The leaf springs are amped up with increased rigidity which are mounted on the rear axle.

(hmmm... to me, "rigidity" sounds like "stiffer")

--dick
Hi Dick, do you happen to know which suspension options the crew comes with from the factory? I'm looking at buying either a 19' crew or passenger Freightliner, both used with around 7k miles.

linacre

Darth Vander
Passenger versus crew floors:

I am curious if the bench seat in crew van fasten to floor in same manner as in passenger van. The long lines in floor are visible in the passenger factory pictures. Are seats adjustable; slide in tracks?

No, they don’t slide. Passenger has 3 positions where you can locate the bench. They’re easy to unlock just pulling a lever but moving them might be tricky as they’re about 100lbs each bench.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GLJones

I have a 170 passenger. The seat are VERY heavy and bulky to move. I would not rely on the factory system if you plan to move or remove the seats more than once or twice a year. I had 4 rows of seats, but removed a row of three and moved the 4-seat bench up a row and installed a partition behind it for a cargo area in the back. I never want to remove a bench seat again.

If you have more room, like a single bench in a huge cargo area, it might be more managable, but I would look into one of the solutions like the one posted here a couple weeks ago that folds up to the sidewall very easily.

Top Bottom