AMP Power Step

asimba2

ourkaravan.com
For an NCV3 the appropriate trigger wires are pink/white wire under the passenger seat for the rear sliding door and a blue with green stripe wire down by the jack storage area for the front passenger door. Where are you guys tapping power? I'm wondering if you're tapping a power source that sleeps.

Mine is attached to the OEM Aux battery, which never sleeps.

gonefishin'

Per Amp's instructions, I've tapped into the BUS connector behind the dash, above the fuse box via a 2 pin connection. The main power source runs from the positive terminal under the driver seat. Another way of saying that its off the OEM Battery.

It seems that its causing another issue now... all the EBD warning lights are on in the dash now, which according to the owner manual can be caused by insufficient battery charge. Which is double strange as I've got a Blue Sea ACR that connects the house batt to the start battery to prevent this very thing. Bad ground somewhere?

Thanks for the insight!!

TravelNomad

Travel Nomad, Vanlife, Explorer
How did you do that? Its not an option (2019) on their website.

I ordered for the 2018 after research and seeing them installed on the 18 not concerned with any needed mod. Fingers crossed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

InspiredVan

I ordered for the 2018 after research and seeing them installed on the 18 not concerned with any needed mod. Fingers crossed.

structurally the 2018 steps will fit on a 2019, however the wiring and sensors are totally different. hence why AMP is not delivering a 2019 fitment yet. they need to re-do the wiring and the module. curious how it goes for you, pls document the changes needed

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

smead

I think this worked. Thanks for the help. Only time will tell now.
I have had the exact same symptoms with the steps just stop working for no reason and the radio stops working as well. The only solution I found was to disconnect and reconnect the battery terminal by the accelerator pedal and everything resets...Then at some point they stop working again.

So you moved the ground connection and it fixed the problem?

jberkom

Found this for the 2019 on the sprinter store. Has anyone tried it?

https://www.sprinterstore.com/produ...-electric-power-running-boards-free-shipping/

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk
I am having German Formula in Portland install a passenger-driver set on my 2019 4x4 on Wednesday. They quoted me 8 hours / $1000 for the install. Does that seem reasonable?? I am not confident I can figure it out on my own, so I'm not sure I have an option but the install seems pretty steep. I'll be in ~$3k for steps. :frown:

MT170

2018 2500 LWB 4x4
I have passenger and driver Amp steps on my 2018. I really like them. Counting the wiring and fit up and in some cases probably two people involved I think 8 hours is reasonable.

CactusJackSlade

I am having German Formula in Portland install a passenger-driver set on my 2019 4x4 on Wednesday. They quoted me 8 hours / $1000 for the install. Does that seem reasonable?? I am not confident I can figure it out on my own, so I'm not sure I have an option but the install seems pretty steep. I'll be in ~$3k for steps. :frown:
Unfortunately that actually maybe not too bad, I paid $1900 for just the passenger side + install. Yes, expensive and I'm a do it yourselfer... and maybe I'd give it a go next time. They definitely spent 3-4 hours o the install of just one side.

TIPS: I am going to install an on/off button - I want to be able to save the wear and tear when we are planted in a spot for several days and leave the step down.

Question: On your's is the drivers side step shorter than the passenger side? I've been wanting one on that side (but not a long one).

Last edited:

jberkom

Question: On your's is the drivers side step shorter than the passenger side? I've been wanting one on that side (but not a long one).
Good to know I'm in the ballpark! It's a chunk of change but I don't think I'll regret it in the long-run, especially once I add larger tires.

The driver's side is somewhere around 40" IIRC. I don't have the exact dimensions handy. I'll post some pictures when it's done...should be Thurs or Fri.

CactusJackSlade

Good to know I'm in the ballpark! It's a chunk of change but I don't think I'll regret it in the long-run, especially once I add larger tires.

I feel the same, just kind of closed my eyes and took out the check book!

It does make a huge difference in ease/comfort, I have 285/70/17's (32.6" or so) on mine - pretty much the largest tire you can possibly fit without a lift.

I have no regrets and the retractable fits up so tight I have no additional off road clearance issues at all (my propane tank is lower).

MT170

2018 2500 LWB 4x4
The drivers side step on my van is only a little longer than the door opening. I'd guess its about 24" but it's not here so I can't measure it.

MotoXPress

I installed mine myself. Definitely a 5 plus plus hour job depending if you need to tap into wiring harness on either side.

azur

Unfortunately that actually maybe not too bad, I paid $1900 for just the passenger side + install. Yes, expensive and I'm a do it yourselfer... and maybe I'd give it a go next time. They definitely spent 3-4 hours o the install of just one side.

TIPS: I am going to install an on/off button - I want to be able to save the wear and tear when we are planted in a spot for several days and leave the step down.

where how did you install the on/off button: sound like a great idea!

azur

I have a 2018, I can't figure out how to plug the module connect 2 pin into the MB bus(step #28.) Do I have to "open" the buss so I can plug it

Top Bottom