[T1N] Maxxair Deluxe install at very rear of 140wb

lunar_limbo

whoops
I looked everywhere for anyone else installing a Maxxair Maxxfan Deluxe model in the very rear of a T1N 140wb.

I am an archivist, so excuse the excess, scroll to bottom if pics is all you want.

Why I want it there

I am building out my 140wb to be a mobile office/home. Therefore solar power is a priority. I will need to run multiple appliances near daily to perform my work. I also have a desire for stealthiness, or at least blend in decent.

Thus two priorities formed, max solar, plus keep the solar inside the van width using roof tracks (rather than rain gutter style) allowing me to add any form of stealthing on the side (walls, tubes, etc)

I calculated I could fit a Maxxfan Deluxe + 400w + Either, another fan or one more 100w panel along the length of the van, but it is tight. I had to use the smallest 100w panels I could find, hoping they are effective.

Having two fans is desirable for me, but I don't know if I will truly need it. I survived over 3 years with one fan and I rarely used it because it ran off the starter battery. So I figured I would start with the fan in the rear, plus 4 panels. If I needed the fifth panel I've planned for it, otherwise I could get the second fan and hope the double usage doesn't make me hate the decision!

Therefore, if I end up with two fans, I would want them as far apart from each other as possible. Hence why I desired to place this fan past the last rib on my van.

PLAN

roof-options.png

The measurements I used are rounded down to be generous. The black bars are roof tracks, I actually got an extra 10 inches to go towards the back further. The smaller white box will be a solar cable inlet.

I was concerned about placement. How much room is there before the rib and would I be okay with the end result. Here are key things I learned while doing measurements.

Product Limitations
Obv, if you are willing to go wider and less concerned about stealth you could pack it differently.

• This fit can only work with the tiniest of solar panels
  • Renogy 100w Mono Compact design was what I used
  • If you use a fan without a hood you open up options a little bit
  • To stay inside roof limits panels should be <48" long and < 21"wide (if you want the 500w/double fan option

Placement Concerns

• Take measurements from the roof seam on the inside. It is easy to tell where the upper seam is from the inside, so you can translate it to the roof side later.
  • The spot welding for the ribs is visible on the roof which should help ensure you don't totally screw up.
  • The fan hood sits high enough above the roof to sit overtop the third brake light. Don't worry!
  • You could get away with cutting into the metal atop the rib because there is no welding over the middle of the rib. Other risks are associated with it and I am no expert in metal or whatnot. Does it significantly modify the strength of anything? If water leaks where does it go? Will you figure out it is leaking? How will it damage your van/build? I was happy to stay away from these questions.

lunar_limbo

whoops
1.png

Above shows how close the fan sits to the rear of the van

2.png

Above shows prepped hole. I left as much metal for the tab pull downs so less room for leaks. Saw a youtuber actually cut away more metal.

3.png

Rest of photos showing how little I cared about perfection when setting up the tabs I pull down. Close enough is good enough. Between adding clay tape and caulking it will be fine.

4.jpg

5.jpg

lunar_limbo

whoops
10.png

Notice how close the screws are to the rib. I was within a 1/4 of hitting the middle screw into the rib.

what I failed to show is how the tab I pulled down from the roof to flatten it out actually cuts over the rib a little. Just noting that.

lunar_limbo

whoops
9.png

7.png

8.png

The fan hood does overlap the third break light about 2 inches.

I thought it would look goofier than it does but I feel okay about it. Once everything else is up I will share more about the conclusion.

bcman

Very nice. I put the fan above the 2nd row of seating, since there's an obvious flat spot and I didn't have to flatten the corrugations like you did. But that ate up a lot of roof real estate, and put it far away from my elevated bed at the back of the van. It would be nice to use the fan to create a breeze over the bed on warm summer nights.

Top Bottom