Millenials and Van Life

Garandman

Popped up in my news feed.

The business of van life
How the RV industry is falling short, and how van lifers are filling the gap

https://www.curbed.com/2019/4/3/18264579/van-life-millennials-campers-sprinter-air-stream-thor

“The Mercedes Sprinter, a vehicle now made in America, at a new plant in South Carolina, has become a symbol of the van life movement and the vehicle of choice among millennials living on the road, in addition to the Ford Transit and the RAM ProMaster. But they aren’t getting these vehicles from traditional RV manufacturers. Those companies still cater mostly to retirees and baby boomers who want travel trailers or “Class A” motorhomes, which are much larger than a Sprinter.

....Feld says he’s noticed more new conversion companies popping up than he’s able to count, and according to data from Nomadx, there are at least 164 in the United States.”

Mein Sprinter

Known member
Popped up in my news feed.

The business of van life
How the RV industry is falling short, and how van lifers are filling the gap

https://www.curbed.com/2019/4/3/18264579/van-life-millennials-campers-sprinter-air-stream-thor

“The Mercedes Sprinter, a vehicle now made in America, at a new plant in South Carolina, has become a symbol of the van life movement and the vehicle of choice among millennials living on the road, in addition to the Ford Transit and the RAM ProMaster. But they aren’t getting these vehicles from traditional RV manufacturers. Those companies still cater mostly to retirees and baby boomers who want travel trailers or “Class A” motorhomes, which are much larger than a Sprinter.

....Feld says he’s noticed more new conversion companies popping up than he’s able to count, and according to data from Nomadx, there are at least 164 in the United States.”
Correct!.... If they had these a few years ago I would have had someone build a conversion instead of RV makers. The conversions are much more functional and you decide what you want and where. Am not keen on driving/exploring the unknown dry camping in a gizmo box(TV; MW; electronic glitzes, etc.).

I just hope that the 2019-2020> Sprinters will finally have solved the emission hindrances of previous models. If not then alternatives like the Ford Transit and RAM ProMaster might do.

cheers...

Shawn182

Yup...not a Millennial but could not find anything close to what I wanted in the US market so I am joining the build bandwagon. US manufactures are still stuck on catering to the 65 year old RVer makes who hops from RV park to RV park...nothing off grid capable off the factory floor.

The Revel is close but still not quite there for the mass market and still quite pricey.

EU market is pumping out vans at cheap prices...eventually the US market will hopefully catch up.

asimba2

ourkaravan.com
I find it interesting that on a $50k chassis the RV manufacturers still choose a $360 Atwood propane furnace over a $780 Espar. Yes, big difference in price, but at the price point of the RV it seems almost inconsequential. I do like the move toward toilets without black tanks. Now if they'll just get ballsy and offer layouts without wardrobe closets and enclosed bathrooms. Those are the biggest reason I built my own, I want the natural light and to not feel cramped.

Midwestdrifter

Engineer In Residence
The big reason that most MFGs don't use van bodies, is that they are not square! Round corners, wheel wells, non-flat floors, and dealing with metal body panels nearly doubles the labor involved. No more square fiberglass panels that can be rapidly cut and installed. No more cheap MDF cabinets with square edges, and ugly/heavy bodies. No more flat vertical walls for water, air, and fridge heater vents.

Building off grid capable rigs requires putting money into complex machines/systems. This eats into profit margins substantially. How many RV makers actually use correct sized wire for DC systems? Wiring is time consuming and expensive to do right. Much better to just install some cheap low capacity parts, and rely on shore power all the time.

The majority of the RV market it still Boomers staying in RV parks, or full-timers (like oil field workers) who need a medium term place to stay on a budget.

Ed463

Yup...not a Millennial but could not find anything close to what I wanted in the US market so I am joining the build bandwagon. US manufactures are still stuck on catering to the 65 year old RVer makes who hops from RV park to RV park...nothing off grid capable off the factory floor.

The Revel is close but still not quite there for the mass market and still quite pricey.

EU market is pumping out vans at cheap prices...eventually the US market will hopefully catch up.
You can get a factory built van based camper for less than $60k here. Based on the Fiat Ducato usually (Promaster?) which makes an excellent base vehicle.
However. Before we converted the Sprinter we looked at just about every factory conversion available. Without exception they were all:
1. Built down to a price to maximise profit. Hymer seems to be regarded as a top end manufacturer but imho they were still not built to a standard I would want.
2. Crammed full of "stuff". Unnecessary stuff. I really don't need a wardrobe or a cocktail cabinet:idunno:
For a Hymer you're maybe talking $100k plus.

So we built our own. Better layout, way better quality and a fraction of the cost.

GeorgeRa

2013 Sprinter DIY 144WB, Portland OR
..................... Now if they'll just get ballsy and offer layouts without wardrobe closets and enclosed bathrooms. Those are the biggest reason I built my own, I want the natural light and to not feel cramped.
Exactly. In 2013 we decided to go back to the future from the Bigfoot trailer to our past experience with 1977/1985 Westfalia. So, we look, and look for an opened not cramped, 360° windows, not shiny, no white leather, MB factory road clearance, no skirts van. We found quite few of them, but not in NA.
We talked to a local conversion shop, unsuccessfully tried to connect with Outside Van not responding guys, listen to Airstream sales person recommending taking a freeway spin to Seattle to appreciate the ride. We were not clicking with market offers. Appalling quality of Roadtrek or Airstream. We were looking for a camper, not for a recreation highway restricted Walmart cruiser.
My baseline price was set by our second option, an SUV/truck with 15’ quality fiberglass trailer at about $50K plus $30K = $80K. This a price for high quality Camper vans in EU.
So we decided to take the DIY route.

Davydd

I imagine oil field workers and like laborers would prefer a pickup and a cheap trailer. :)

Don't dismiss baby boomers. Heck I'm older than the baby boomers. Many have ushered in the desire to live off grid and travel everywhere in Class B vans. The desire for Class Bs at any age stems from spurning formal campgrounds to a degree. They had the money to push the development of high capacity lithium battery systems to the forefront and the total freedom concepts afforded with those systems are now trickling down.

SSTraveler

2014 LTV Unity Murphy Bed
I just looked at a Winnebago Travato Pure Energy all Lithium van and was very impressed, https://m.winnebagoind.com/products/class-b/2019/travato/floorplans, with the advances Winnebago is making to move to Li power. I thought Fit RV did a good over view on the Li Travato (https://youtu.be/990F0kAxlTc and https://youtu.be/FfG_8X-qMEY). I still like the upgrade modifications that Fit RV did to their own Travato rather that think of purchasing a new one. That speaks volumes to me. They have a story like many have described above. They started with a 2003 Sprinter Van/Forest River Cruiser that they modified to fit their lifestyle and sold it in 2015 to move to their 2nd Van RV a 2015 Winnebago Travato on the Ram Promaster chassis, https://www.thefitrv.com/rv-reviews/our-newer-awesomer-rv-tour-the-tour-de-lance/. You would think Winnebago would have adopted more of their upgrades rather than only a couple. If you are not into the full blown DIY build then find something you think is close (used or new) and modify it your way! It is nearly impossible to find a rig that has everything you want but some are closer than others, quality is key?

Davydd

The FitRV, James and Stefanie, got a lot of ideas from Advanced RV. They were at the first two Advanced Fest events. Stefanie led seminars on fitness and led a group in morning walks. After they bought their Travato they went back to Advanced RV for upgrades like the VB Air Suspension and the levelers. I'm sure they were privy to many other things Advanced RV was developing because ARV was an open book. I imagine many of their DIY upgrades were inspired by ARV.

ARV is a customer driven company and if it can be built, they will build it with the best materials and systems available. My contribution was the electrically operated articulating beds which many other customers opted to have since. It was touch and go to whether it could be achieved or not when I proposed it in April 2014 because there was nothing in the USA that could be adapted to a Class B. Fortunately Legget & Platt came out with a new platform in July 2014 that could be customized and adapted.

HarryN

The big reason that most MFGs don't use van bodies, is that they are not square! Round corners, wheel wells, non-flat floors, and dealing with metal body panels nearly doubles the labor involved. No more square fiberglass panels that can be rapidly cut and installed. No more cheap MDF cabinets with square edges, and ugly/heavy bodies. No more flat vertical walls for water, air, and fridge heater vents.
This is also how I view it.

The sprinter is a nice vehicle, but fitting one out is much more challenging than it needs to be.

My own personal needs are more "crew van + simple conversion in back + ability to carry plywood".

I really wonder sometimes if it makes sense to use a van with a steel body or just start with a fiberglass / carbon fiber version on a cut away.

Trying to insulate a van body made of steel and steel ribs vs insulated panels or at least non conducting ones is very challenging.

Brad75

2013 NCV3
I ran into a Boomer couple traveling in a Sprinter RV. The wife had to use the shower at the park because she used her shower in the RV for storage space.

Mackcs

2018 LTV MB
Time to check out the HD EarthRoamer. Right in the price range for folks who like to boondocks. Only 1.7 million. But you can stay out for 3 weeks at a time. Ha Ha.
I believe that most of us really like the boondocking. And there are many items one can add to most units to allow more time off the RV park tour. Best of luck

glasseye

I ran into a Boomer couple traveling in a Sprinter RV. The wife had to use the shower at the park because she used her shower in the RV for storage space.
A very common occurrence, the use of the shower for storage. IMHO, frequent boondockers like me can't carry enough water to make inside-the-vehicle showers practical enough to earn the space they require. YMMV, of course.

RV showers are built to attract wives, whose opinions weigh heavily in purchase decisions. Same goes for elaborate kitchen sinks and marble countertops. Guys seem to be sold on big-ass televisions and puffy lounge chairs.

Me, I prefer the view out the windshield and 1000km range. :rad:

Midwestdrifter

Engineer In Residence
With the right shower head (with shut off valve), and proper training, I find 15l of water is enough for a great shower. One that's 90% of a 40 gallon shower. For the two of us we get by on 40 gallons of water every 2-5 days with typical usage. Thats including cooking, personal hygiene, and drinking. 300lbs isn't light weight, but given the sprinters payload, its reasonable if planned for.

There is a company that makes a portable sponge bath unit, which feeds hot water to a handheld sponge. Supposedly it only need 1 gallon for a decent wash, though I have never used one.

RVBarry

2023 AWD 170 DIY CamperVan
There is a company that makes a portable sponge bath unit, which feeds hot water to a handheld sponge. Supposedly it only need 1 gallon for a decent wash, though I have never used one.
Yep... I saw a video this week:
A camp stove, pot, and sponge might be more practical.

LindaDV

The story I hear on not using the RV shower is that they don't want to clean it! I am a wife who insisted on no bathroom, a porta potty (it has it's own cabinet in the Sportsmobile!) and a Nemo shower are enough. I have plenty of storage without using a built-in bathroom.

ECU

2006 T1n 118 Sprinter
Our shower was used. Great location for a sponge bath if nothing else.
But when the kid came along, it became the best location for high chair and stroller.

21 years later.........

Top Bottom