Cell Booster External Antenna Install

LewisCooper

VanGoNow
I am looking for anyone who has installed an external cell booster antenna on a Roadtrek CS or RS, and specifically where did you decide to drill through the roof to bring the cable inside the chassis? I have contacted the factory they said call the dealer, the dealers have no idea so I am now reaching out to the Roadtrek community at large. I have already installed the internal antenna near the rear view mirror as well as the cell booster itself in the cabinet above the sink where the solar charge controller resides. We purchased the WeBoost Drive 4G RV. Thanks in advance

MrB

I have the WeBoost DIrive 4G-X. I ran the wire under the side door gasket up to the magnet-mounted antenna. No tools or drilling required. Its been there for 30K miles. I have the main unit mounted behind second seat by the power outlet.

MrB

I have WeBoost Drive 4G-X. I ran wire under side door gasket to magnet-mount antenna on roof. No drilling or adhesive. Been there 30K miles. Inside box is mounted behind passenger seat by the power outlet.

Attachments

vanhuttd

I have the 4G RV, but used the 4” mini mount antenna as the stock antenna was going to be a challenge to install, especially as I wanted it to be able to give if I glanced a low hanging branch. Weboost performance difference was negligible. I routed the antenna wire through the gap in the Fantasic Fan gasket, which was located at the front of the fan. There was enough clearance between the fan base and fan cover, both open and closed, to run the wire through (along with the WiFi booster cable), then took the antenna wire in the ceiling to the right hand storage cabinet above the galley (‘15 CS) (accessible when you have the inside fan shroud out). Very stealthy, and no worries about making holes in the chassis.

Kirk

I purchased a Weboost, but have yet to install it.

For those of you who have one installed, does it make a significant difference?

LewisCooper

VanGoNow
Thanks for all the ideas folks, the new WeBoost RV does use a larger cable for the external antenna so routing through existing gaps isn't going to work. I'll keep looking for a route through the roof and post when I find a solution.

DIYpilot

We have a Weboost Drive 4G-X RV on the Roadtrek Etrek. The large white antenna is mounted to the aft end of the track that supports the awning. The fat cable is routed through the existing back-up camera hole -- so no new roof penetrations. The booster itself does help -- making a usable signal out of a weak one.

LewisCooper

VanGoNow
DIYPilot, thanks for the reply, can you tell me how they routed the cable from the external antenna to the booster and then from the booster to the internal antenna? Thanks, I'll be checking out the rear backup camera cable entrance thru the roof today. Thanks again.

RT.SS

That is how exactly I did mine. Fishing the wire from the rear of the van to the cab area is difficult but doable. 4G-X RV uses high gain antennas, you need good separation between the 2 antennas or you're going to get feedbacks. Optionally, the indoor antenna can be mounted just below the outside antenna where outside antenna can't pick-up its signal. Sorry the link I provided above does not work.

Here is how I did mine: http://roadtreklife.blogspot.com/2017/01/weboost-drive-4g-x-cell-booster.html

LewisCooper

VanGoNow
Thanks DIYpilot for the great info, to be clear you ran the external antenna cable through the existing opening where the backup camera cable went through the roof or drilled a new hole or enlarged the existing?

LewisCooper

VanGoNow
Thanks everyone, finally got a technician at a Roadtrek dealer to run the cable from the topside external antenna to the booster via the backup camera cable opening. Had to remove backup camera access wire chase, uninstalled top of rear cabinets to access backup camera wiring, drilled holes between cabinets and thru roof and top of cabinet, applied white self leveling lap sealant inside and around new hole. I'll put up some photos as soon as I can get up on top the van. Will be testing this weekend to determine effectiveness of this booster install.

tlahnala

SS Agile, Thinking about running the cell booster antenna wire through the same roof opening as the TV antenna. This may be a good solution. If works I intend on fabricating a bracket to mount the external antenna to the TV antenna base. Looks pretty simple. I hope the stuff in the area like the air conditioner does not interfere much with the reception.
Has anyone performed a similar install?

smoline

Just installed my Weboost 4G-X RV. I'm not convinced that it's improving cell reception, but I did want to acknowledge appreciation for DIYpilot's input and step-by-step images. Saved me from drilling any holes in my Roadtrek. Many thanks!

smoline

Don't hold your breath.
Agreed. I read your posts on this topic very carefully and reviewed your own installation. I truly went back and forth on a decision many times. As with DIYpilot, I remain grateful for your input and the knowledge you shared with the group. I may end up with the MIMO solution eventually, but wanted to try this first.

Top Bottom