VanLife Prep Help

Midwestdrifter

Engineer In Residence
You do realize that folks are discussing multiple options, not just sprinters right? Plus you have already resorted to hyperbole (straw man) comparisons. As if someone would spend 75K on repairs... Your emotional investment and bias is clear.

If you would like to detail your operating, purchase costs etc, that would be useful. But "150K for repairs and purchase" is kinda ridiculous.

Matt Foley

Down by The River
I’ve been on here 10 years, among the first of the van life craze - you 4 months - tell us all you know about the realities of owning these vans.
It doesn't matter when you're objectively wrong and unnecessarily alarmist.

OP can buy a built-out T1N for $20-40k and hit the road with over $100k in contingency funds. That is a fact.

For $75k damn near anything you'd buy would still be under warranty. For $80k you can have Grant's Everyman Van, brand spanking new and pretty much fully built and hit the road.

Please show us some threads on here where anyone had to spend $50-75k repairing emissions issues on a vehicle under warranty. Emissions warranty is 100k miles or 5 years.

Again - You're speaking in absolutes when we live in a world of many, many options. There is simply no need for it, and it makes you sound ridiculous.

NBB

The newest T1N’s are over 12 years old at this point - have you personally been under the hood of one? It’s you who has zero credibility, you’re so obviously a Google Scholar on the subject.

Midwestdrifter

Engineer In Residence
The newest T1N’s are over 12 years old at this point - have you personally been under the hood of one? It’s you who has zero credibility, you’re so obviously a Google Scholar on the subject.
So instead of refuting his arguments, you ignore them, and resort to ad-hominem? I guess we can let the OP decide who is most trustworthy.

Matt Foley

Down by The River
You're mad, and totally deserving of ridicule. Get a grip, angry guy.

I own a 2006 with 124k miles on it. Runs like a top. Drove it 5,000 miles with zero issues within a month of owning it. Got it for a price that is completely within OP's operating budget.

Still waiting on those $50k emissions repair threads, angry guy. Lol.

SprinterSnale

'05 T1N 3500 - NorCalSprinterCampout
I think we all take a leap of faith getting into a T1N. Service records, history of owners and type of use and reason for selling are critical to know before purchase. I met a guy in Death Valley who bought a T1N on impulse, poorly researched and had to buy another based on that former life information. A used setup will hold it's value better than new in case the life is not all that glitters.
The greater the risk, the greater the reward

Grandma always told me to buy used and let the first buyer cover the depreciation. This is the grandma surrounded by mechanically competent men in her life.

A young person told me all elders recommended a schooling and career life path that closely mimicked their own, rather than what may be best for the youth. That is the only experience we have and is a component to this threads recommendations :2cents:

I tried to push my best friend into a Sprinter van, and after 5 years he retorted buying a 2018 Class C on a Sprinter chassis. Looking at their travel style, mechanical ability, his early retirement and his wife's need for comfort, this was a great decision for them that I could not visualize.

Robert-NE

Everyone has options about the different brands, both positive and negative, and there is plenty of evidence even in this thread..
Exactly one hour later......

Reality check - you’ll spend half that 150k on the van, the other half over the first few years on oil changes and the emission system. What will you eat?
So NBB, in YOUR option which van, year, and mileage is THE BEST? The OP wanted to know the cheapest option over the next 5 years or so.

InterBlog

Not sure why you got that feeling I am 100% dedicated to this. I don't know about traveling the world at the moment because I don't want to come back broke and go back to regular corporate life...I want to figure out a way to sustain full-time van life while I'm doing full-time van life. .....
My advice is to be proactive rather than reactive. You sound like you are purely reacting to a distaste for corporate life. That's fine -- up to a point. But where the rubber meets the road, you have to turn that on its head and answer the inverse question - how do I get myself to be self-employed? Once you have THAT answered, the rest of the pieces will start falling into place.

I've been a self-employed "knowledge worker" for 13 years now. The gig I developed for myself is financially self-sustaining. It pays the bills. It also requires hella self-discipline, which is the #1 thing that I see missing from the #vanlife dream that is so dishonestly represented on Instagram (as others have noted).

I am married but my husband is the one who has the conventional job, so I travel a great deal by myself, including a 6,000-mile annual trek from Houston Texas to far northeastern Nova Scotia (I drive up solo; he flies up when his work schedule allows it). The longest I've spent off-grid to date is 5 weeks, during that time working out of our van, making real money, but also accommodating my travel aspirations (I own land in Canada where I boondock).

You obviously have intelligence plus the capacity for good self-discipline if you accumulated the financial savings you mentioned. Why burn down that hard-earned money pile? Why even risk it? Identify what you can do from a van and develop THAT first. I agree with the other posters who said that your timeline is questionable. Many have tried short timeline, "I will figure it out as I go" approaches, and have failed miserably.

Someone posted Far Out Ride - they are a great example. Another one is Tim Lutz, who was VERY big on Instagram and other venues, but he stepped away to spend time dealing with family issues (he said). Study his modus operandi - he was surgical in his development and execution of a #vanlife plan. He did NOT "figure it out as he went along". He had the whole plan locked down in advance to the point where the only way he could have failed is if he simply chose not to execute it.

I took a similar path - I had the skill set and financial viability / work plan established, AND THEN we (husband and I) set about customizing a van that could handle the demands (our solar, lithium, etc. system was specifically designed to handle the work I need to do, as are multiple other van mods).

My blog, FWIW is here.

And here is a mass media article on Tim:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/.../The-technician-pressed-GREAT-ESCAPE-key.html

And for inspiration, a photo that captures the end goal (my land in Canada where I boondock and do paying work over a boosted cellular connection; I had that parking pad and a private road constructed for our van):

Last edited:

Graphite Dave

Dave Orton
My advice is to be proactive rather than reactive. You sound like you are purely reacting to a distaste for corporate life. That's fine -- up to a point. But where the rubber meets the road, you have to turn that on its head and answer the inverse question - how do I get myself to be self-employed? Once you have THAT answered, the rest of the pieces will start falling into place.
The best advice so far.

Many of us have difficulties with corporate employment. After 6 jobs I determined that I was not suited for working in that environment. The problem was not the corporations but was my personality that did not fit. I had learned how to design packaging lines, conveyors and other items needed on a packaging line. Been self employed for 40 years selling my time and hardware. Could have done the work from a van if I was single but had the normal house, wife and 3 kids to support.

Your $150,000 should not be lost just because you are unhappy with the corporate life. That money properly invested is your ticket to an easier life when you are older. The trick is to find a way to change your life style and still protect the $150,000. When you are older without any money you will regret blowing the $150,000.

sprint2freedom

2008 NCV3 170ext
I wholeheartedly agree with Dave that this is the best advice you've received.

A pile of money is helpful and a stream of income is even better, but making this lifestyle change requires much more than just money. Others have gone before you- read as much as you can from as many sources as possible, do your own research and come up with a plan.

I travel full time with my wife at an age where most people are just buying their first home. Before moving into our van, we put in extensive time, effort and planning be able to do this indefinitely until we get tired of it or want something different. I'm a legal resident of a state I've visited only once. The address on my drivers license is a box at a commercial mail receiving agency. We have no bosses, no performance reviews, and most days no idea what day of the week it is until we notice an increase in traffic coming out of the city and realize it must be Saturday.

Like jumping out of a plane, the freedom is exhilarating. But make sure you have a parachute, or a wingsuit, or some kind of plan. Otherwise you're just counting down to impact.

It's not much talked about here, but there's a fairly thin line between what you're calling vanlife and homelessness. Many people seem to recognize this as they hear about your odd life choice and make "down by the river" jokes, but they quickly forget as their pity morphs into envy. You want to be firmly in the former camp, and to do that you'll need some kind of plan or scheme; start there.

sbmoney

Wow so much good info here, way more than I expected! I appreciate everyone's advice and concerns and let me start by saying if it wasn't a risky path I probably wouldn't be interested in it anyway. I do of course want to make my money last (and will) but also have been saving for this opportunity for 2.5 years now and its taken me 35 years to come to this point where I know it is time to start something new. Yes, it is a reactive motion to something I want to escape but equally proactive by taking my future into my own hands. I have a few ideas but it is true I don't have a lot of plans yet, and I do realize my #1 risk is definitely running out of money before figuring out sustainability. But if you have ever seen that movie Into the Wild, I've always felt like that guy...let's just hope I make it longer. if I can find a way to happily live off like 10-15k a year and travel and spend most of my time outside with other like-minded people, hopefully some loved ones at some point, I'll be successful.

Anyway, still trying to decide between vanski's box truck which looks awesome and a newer Transit conversion. Tough decision, so going to test drive a few vehicles next weekend. Thanks for all the feedback!

sprint2freedom

2008 NCV3 170ext
Some practical tips and observations from my experiences so far:

Living and traveling full time is very different from a short or even an extended trip. Unlike a vacation- you can't just put off changing the oil or going to the dentist until you get back. There are a lot of small but non-optional chores to handle on a daily basis. It can be difficult to maintain habits, such as exercise, when your environment is constantly changing. Rather than starting a campfire you will be trying to get away from other people's smoky campfires so that your home doesn't reak of smoke for days. You will be much more in touch with the weather, constantly checking the forecast to see whether you can go do something outside today or if you'll be taking refuge in your van. Regardless of what kind of toilet you have (or don't have), you'll be up close and personal with your body's waste products one way or another. Instead of just filling up before you leave home, you'll always be on the lookout for water sources. Learn as much as you can about your vehicle and do your best to keep it well maintained.

Layout
- One thing many layouts lack is a table. You will want a table inside your van to sit at while eating or using a laptop. Make sure you can sit, stand and lay inside your van.
- Transforming beds and tables are impractical and annoying when you are forced to use them daily. Once you settle into fulltiming, you will very likely keep them in one position and never move them. A permanent bed is worth it when you're sleeping in it full-time.
- While I never sleep with all six pillows on a hotel bed, having a few extra overstuffed pillows makes the bed space in a van much more functional for hanging out and watching movies.
- Convenient shoe/boot storage is a must, and don't forget that in addition to clothes storage you'll also need a place to store dirty laundry

Electrical
- A good electrical system is important in any build but essential for full-timing. Have a good understanding of your needs before buying or building out a van.
- Lots of outlets is a good thing and avoids the need for extension cords criss-crossing the van. Ideally, you'll be able to charge your gadgets in the same place you store them, and also have the ones you use daily (laptop/phone) easily accessible.

Security
- Realize that there is little physical security in a vehicle and have a plan for replacing and/or mitigating the loss of your items when they are stolen.
- Your personal comfort level with risk of theft will serve as a natural brake on where you leave the van unattended and for how long.

Driving
- Driving is a big part of living on the road. Don't ignore the cab when selecting a van. Make sure you have a comfortable seat, a good view of the road, functional cup holder(s), radio and navigation.
- How much you drive is one of the biggest levers you have to control cost. Once you go full time, what's the rush? Slow down and save money.

Temperature control
- Insulated window covers are essential in all but the mildest temperatures to retain heat in cold weather and reduce the greenhouse effect in hot weather
- Know that parking in the shade can quickly become your highest priority in very hot weather, and there will be a significant reduction in solar output if you succeed
- A heater is the most important appliance in colder weather, be sure you have a reliable and efficient one that is externally ventilated. With the right heater and a thermostat, heating your home 24/7 in winter is convenient and not as absurd or costly as it might sound.
- A roof vent and a source of replacement air (e.g. open window) is important in hotter weather
- Mold is a real concern with full-time use. You must have both ventilation and heating to prevent it when inhabiting a small space such as a van in cold weather. Avoid bare wood! It should all be painted or sealed.

Noise control
- Soft materials (such as insulated window covers) greatly reduce noise, as do covered rear wheel wells and an insulated floor.
- Solar panels not only provide shade for the roof but also significantly quiet rain noise. Cover as much of your roof as possible!

Insect control
- Unless you like swarms of insects as you're preparing food, bug screens are invaluable in hot weather. Buy the magnetic-closure kind and modify them to fit your van doors.

Internet
- I can count on one hand the number of times I've had usable WiFi in a parking lot. OTOH, my cellular hotspot has provided usable internet over 90% of the time. If you want to stay connected, get a hotspot.

Parking
- Level parking spots are more important for a good night's sleep than a photogenic view (which you can't see in the dark anyway).
- A portable stove can be leveled, e.g. by placing a cutting board underneath while a built-in one cannot.

Water
- Washing dishes consumes a lot of water even after you figure out how do reuse soapy water and rinse water several times per session.
- The more convenient it is to use water (e.g. electric pump), the more you'll use. OTOH, running water is extremely useful to have and well worth the hassle of obtaining it.
- Rarely have I had an opportunity to fill a water tank with a hose. Water jugs were the right choice for me.
- When filling at an unknown faucet, always run the tap for a few seconds before filling to clear out accumulated rust and nasty mineralized water.
- I do not regret installing a water filtration system. I have clear filter housings and the filters inside turned an orangey brown rather quickly when I moved in full time and started filling from a variety of sources.
- Two things you'll need: A ~4 foot garden hose to fill your jugs (some taps are only inches off the ground), and a short hose with a funnel clamped to one end (for when you have to fill from a sink). The latter is important in winter when most places that have water will turn off their outside taps.

Odor control
- Trash is smelly in a small space. Empty trash frequently before the bag is full. Many public trash receptacles have smaller openings that will not a fit a completely full bag.
- Buy a covered trash can and place stinky items inside sealed plastic bags before dropping them in the can.
- You didn't ask, but at higher ambient temperatures (>75F), stored urine becomes very foul very quickly. Adding a couple ounces of hydrogen peroxide to the empty bottle will help prevent this.
- Ideally both you and your clothing would be clean, but dirty clothing is a bigger contributor to how you smell than having a dirty body. Don't wear the same shirt for days and days. Do laundry weekly to make your clothes last longer.

Ethics
- Don't ruin things for others. Pick up your trash, bury all human waste at least six inches down, carry out TP. Don't make new fire rings. Leave the places you visit cleaner and better than you found them.

Legalities
- Follow traffic (and other) laws and obey parking (and other) signs. This is your home and your transportation, and if you're arrested and/or your van is towed away you will be in very bad situation.
- Don't keep anything illegal in your van. In addition to traffic stops, there are unfortunately numerous interior border patrol checkpoints in the USA and although they are supposed to wave you through once you tell them you're a citizen, they do have dogs and it's conceivable your van could be searched.
- Don't engage or appear to engage in commerce with your van. This may get you cited for illegally using a passenger vehicle as a commercial one.
- Do your research and be aware of local laws and regulations. Some states allow you to sleep overnight at rest areas, others do not, etc.

Good luck! Let us know how it goes.

Last edited:

InterBlog

Another comment in the vein of Sprint2freedom:

One of the biggest things that gets imperiled by a life on the road is the ability to network. There will be plenty of people out there eager to SOCIALIZE with you, but socializing and networking are very different things. Unless you want to pick up some income working in an Amazon fulfillment center, networking is what it will take to sustain a source of income on the road. Put that on the list of things you need to have nailed down before cutting your shore cord.

Another full-timer example that you (the OP) could look at for ideas is John Jackson (he is OK with using realname), aka Notstock. He full-times in a late model Airstream Interstate (an NCV3 Sprinter-based B which he modded extensively). As far as I can tell, he developed a paying niche that works perfectly with both his lifestyle choice and his cash flow needs - he's a professional photographer of automotive builds, and a darned good photographer at that (magazine cover caliber). His is a rare case where the act itself (van full-timing) does lead directly to the networking opportunities that he needs to make his #vanlife sustainable. He also gets to socialize extensively during his travels, of course.

I can't emphasize enough how important it is to learn from vanlifers who are actually successful at what they do. I do NOT mean the internet influencer wannabes who weave ankle bracelets or become product pitchers and who may make three grand a year or something piddling around with that kind of low-level stuff. I'm talking about the people who develop a skill and who make it financially sustainable.

https://www.notstockphotography.com/

NNGVan

2008 3500 Custom Uplift
Wow, just wow.

There is so much here it speaks volumes to the support of the community; however a bit bias for their flavor. I'll add my .02.

My wife and I lived in Thailand for 6 months and loved the lifestyle. We owned nothing and had everything. We moved back to the states dumped our 4,000 sq/ft house and moved into a 360 sq/ft condo on the beach and started researching the #vanlife. (we are in our late 20's)

Facebook and IG are highlights; it's easy to think it'll be sunsets and bikini's 24/7 but if you aren't in a "hippie" #vanlife community then it won't be. My wife and I were lucky, 20s, no kids, and both work remote from our laptops AND already have friends living the life so it was easy to tag along for trips to festivals, burns, Mexico, SA and hence Sunsets and Bikini's 24/7.

$$$$
We built cheap but not because we needed to, we WANTED to. Our first 3 trips in the van had no kitchen or running water. Just a bed platform, roughed up power held together with zipties.

Project
Do you want to build it yourself? For us this was 50% of the fun. Maybe you want a turn key system, maybe you don't. Thats a big question to answer first. I can tell you building it yourself you will meet people interested in the life style everywhere you go. I was working on some framing in an apartment complex my friend lives in and this week alone I've met 3 sprinter owners who have stopped by to help just because it's fun to be part of something. One guy had a wrecked sprinter he let me pull parts from FOR FREE before he scrapped it to the yard.

Do it cheap, simple, and question ever dollar you spend on the first build. Do I need joist hangers for the bed at $3.00 each or can I just add a support beam and a flat plate for $3.00 for the whole build. Sounds dumb but those $1-2 stack up fast.

I also have 340k on my NV so don't let the TN haters get to you.

I am also a stealth camper and never ONCE had an issue parking anywhere. Someone made a comment that stealth camping doesn't work; I doubt they understand that stealth camping means you look like a work van to anyone around. No lights, no large AC unit on the roof. Roll up park, shutdown, turn on the fan and pass out. Once again, never once in a year has anyone ever come knocking, street parking, apartment parking with no decal, Walmart, (stay away from the campers, RV's) Rest stops. zero issues.

The Dodge ProMaster you can sleep width wise if you aren't a giant, and can fit bigger panels on top like the Panasonic 330s. That'll get you 1200 watts of solar and more than enough to drive an AC unit, however part of the life is moving with the weather. Too hot? Go north, Too cold? Go south.

-NNGvan

Last edited:

vanski

If it’s winter, I’m probably skiing..
.... But if you have ever seen that movie Into the Wild, I've always felt like that guy...let's just hope I make it longer.
For some reason I don’t think your future holds a Pearl Jam song for your efforts..

smoove_ride

I will tack onto what NNGVan said above as far as stealth camping. I have parked many a night in a Walmart lot (not near the RV's, just mixed in with cars out near the end of the lot) and with a set of earplugs, have had a good night's sleep. Not one issue. I have also parked overnight in downtown areas, etc. with no issues. The only clue that my white van might be a camper is the CL window on the slider and the two vent fans on top (no solar/rack or AC). The slider window has a snap-on cover on the inside for privacy/stealth. When I drive my van to work, the security guards at the lot entrance assume I'm a contractor/work van until I show them my badge and see the look of surprise on their faces as I drive in. Even after I show them my work ID badge, at times, they still ask what work I'm doing there and try and send me to get a temporary badge/parking permit.

As long as you work to keep it looking stock and/or like a work van, you should have no issues. I've seen quite a few converted vans in our downtown area that are not all that stealthy parked overnight and look as though they were there all night. They are not in the same spot every night.

Funny story... one night I was in a Wal-Mart lot and forgot my earplugs and was so tired I didn't care. I went to sleep with no problem but was awoken at 3am by a crazy noise. I thought I was dreaming it. I kept hearing this high whine noise zooming by the van repeatedly. I finally had to get up and see WTH. I was greeted by a handful of bored Walmart employees who were doing hot laps around the lot/van with an RC car!

Wrinkledpants

2017 144WB 4x4
Our van looks anything but stock (ski box, tall AT tires, hood wrap, clearly an RV). We have no issues with stealth camping. I don't know why people have this idea that you need to look like a bread truck to camp urban anywhere. We live downtown Denver and could probably live in the van full-time here without any issue. Stealth camping is more about not looking like you're in the van. It doesn't matter if you're an RV or a car - there's nothing illegal about parking. Camping means you're sleeping inside. So, if you really want to stealth camp comfortably in places where you can legally park, but not legally camp, then go windowless and have a really good seal on your divider behind the front seats. Personally, I'd look anything other than white to keep criminals looking for tools from smashing out the door locks. If you're like us with lots of windows and not a perfect seal on our covers, we'll do our thing, get ready for bed, and then find a spot to sleep. Crawl into bed with the lights out, be mindful of the location, and depart in the AM (or whenever the parking enforcement starts), and nobody is the wiser. Off-road looking camper vans are dime a dozen here in Colorado and many also serve as peoples' daily drivers.

If you camp in a residential neighborhood, families feel a bit more comfortable seeing a clearly-looking offroad van out front than some creepy white panel van. I have yet to run into a situation where having Joe's Plumbing on the side of the van would have kept us safely parked, but looking like a camper van meant the cops kicked us out. Illegal parking is illegal parking.

What I do see a lot of are work trucks with smashed slider door locks. If you look like a plumber or an electrician, you catch the eye of thieves as they assume you have a lot of expensive tools.

I echo other sentiments that living in the van with bare essentials for a week or two will quickly reveal to you what you want. The plan we started with on here and the plan we ended up with aren't even close to the same due to having a whole summer with just 5 gallons water jugs, inflatable bed, and a small gas stove.

Wrinkledpants

2017 144WB 4x4
Some practical tips and observations from my experiences so far:

Living and traveling full time is very different from a short or even an extended trip. Unlike a vacation- you can't just put off changing the oil or going to the dentist until you get back. There are a lot of small but non-optional chores to handle on a daily basis. It can be difficult to maintain habits, such as exercise, when your environment is constantly changing. Rather than starting a campfire you will be trying to get away from other people's smoky campfires so that your home doesn't reak of smoke for days. You will be much more in touch with the weather, constantly checking the forecast to see whether you can go do something outside today or if you'll be taking refuge in your van. Regardless of what kind of toilet you have (or don't have), you'll be up close and personal with your body's waste products one way or another. Instead of just filling up before you leave home, you'll always be on the lookout for water sources. Learn as much as you can about your vehicle and do your best to keep it well maintained.

Layout
- One thing many layouts lack is a table. You will want a table inside your van to sit at while eating or using a laptop. Make sure you can sit, stand and lay inside your van.
- Transforming beds and tables are impractical and annoying when you are forced to use them daily. Once you settle into fulltiming, you will very likely keep them in one position and never move them. A permanent bed is worth it when you're sleeping in it full-time.
- While I never sleep with all six pillows on a hotel bed, having a few extra overstuffed pillows makes the bed space in a van much more functional for hanging out and watching movies.
- Convenient shoe/boot storage is a must, and don't forget that in addition to clothes storage you'll also need a place to store dirty laundry

Electrical
- A good electrical system is important in any build but essential for full-timing. Have a good understanding of your needs before buying or building out a van.
- Lots of outlets is a good thing and avoids the need for extension cords criss-crossing the van. Ideally, you'll be able to charge your gadgets in the same place you store them, and also have the ones you use daily (laptop/phone) easily accessible.

Security
- Realize that there is little physical security in a vehicle and have a plan for replacing and/or mitigating the loss of your items when they are stolen.
- Your personal comfort level with risk of theft will serve as a natural brake on where you leave the van unattended and for how long.

Driving
- Driving is a big part of living on the road. Don't ignore the cab when selecting a van. Make sure you have a comfortable seat, a good view of the road, functional cup holder(s), radio and navigation.
- How much you drive is one of the biggest levers you have to control cost. Once you go full time, what's the rush? Slow down and save money.

Temperature control
- Insulated window covers are essential in all but the mildest temperatures to retain heat in cold weather and reduce the greenhouse effect in hot weather
- Know that parking in the shade can quickly become your highest priority in very hot weather, and there will be a significant reduction in solar output if you succeed
- A heater is the most important appliance in colder weather, be sure you have a reliable and efficient one that is externally ventilated. With the right heater and a thermostat, heating your home 24/7 in winter is convenient and not as absurd or costly as it might sound.
- A roof vent and a source of replacement air (e.g. open window) is important in hotter weather
- Mold is a real concern with full-time use. You must have both ventilation and heating to prevent it when inhabiting a small space such as a van in cold weather. Avoid bare wood! It should all be painted or sealed.

Noise control
- Soft materials (such as insulated window covers) greatly reduce noise, as do covered rear wheel wells and an insulated floor.
- Solar panels not only provide shade for the roof but also significantly quiet rain noise. Cover as much of your roof as possible!

Insect control
- Unless you like swarms of insects as you're preparing food, bug screens are invaluable in hot weather. Buy the magnetic-closure kind and modify them to fit your van doors.

Internet
- I can count on one hand the number of times I've had usable WiFi in a parking lot. OTOH, my cellular hotspot has provided usable internet over 90% of the time. If you want to stay connected, get a hotspot.

Parking
- Level parking spots are more important for a good night's sleep than a photogenic view (which you can't see in the dark anyway).
- A portable stove can be leveled, e.g. by placing a cutting board underneath while a built-in one cannot.

Water
- Washing dishes consumes a lot of water even after you figure out how do reuse soapy water and rinse water several times per session.
- The more convenient it is to use water (e.g. electric pump), the more you'll use. OTOH, running water is extremely useful to have and well worth the hassle of obtaining it.
- Rarely have I had an opportunity to fill a water tank with a hose. Water jugs were the right choice for me.
- When filling at an unknown faucet, always run the tap for a few seconds before filling to clear out accumulated rust and nasty mineralized water.
- I do not regret installing a water filtration system. I have clear filter housings and the filters inside turned an orangey brown rather quickly when I moved in full time and started filling from a variety of sources.
- Two things you'll need: A ~4 foot garden hose to fill your jugs (some taps are only inches off the ground), and a short hose with a funnel clamped to one end (for when you have to fill from a sink). The latter is important in winter when most places that have water will turn off their outside taps.

Odor control
- Trash is smelly in a small space. Empty trash frequently before the bag is full. Many public trash receptacles have smaller openings that will not a fit a completely full bag.
- Buy a covered trash can and place stinky items inside sealed plastic bags before dropping them in the can.
- You didn't ask, but at higher ambient temperatures (>75F), stored urine becomes very foul very quickly. Adding a couple ounces of hydrogen peroxide to the empty bottle will help prevent this.
- Ideally both you and your clothing would be clean, but dirty clothing is a bigger contributor to how you smell than having a dirty body. Don't wear the same shirt for days and days. Do laundry weekly to make your clothes last longer.

Ethics
- Don't ruin things for others. Pick up your trash, bury all human waste at least six inches down, carry out TP. Don't make new fire rings. Leave the places you visit cleaner and better than you found them.

Legalities
- Follow traffic (and other) laws and obey parking (and other) signs. This is your home and your transportation, and if you're arrested and/or your van is towed away you will be in very bad situation.
- Don't keep anything illegal in your van. In addition to traffic stops, there are unfortunately numerous interior border patrol checkpoints in the USA and although they are supposed to wave you through once you tell them you're a citizen, they do have dogs and it's conceivable your van could be searched.
- Don't engage or appear to engage in commerce with your van. This may get you cited for illegally using a passenger vehicle as a commercial one.
- Do your research and be aware of local laws and regulations. Some states allow you to sleep overnight at rest areas, others do not, etc.

Good luck! Let us know how it goes.
I agree with all of this. I would consider it priority one to wisely insulate and have good window covers. These would A) ensure no light from inside gets outside, and B) insulate the interior in the winter/summer.

A few from us to build on this

-We use aquakem for our porta potty - no smell. But, we can't dump this in places with a septic system. We consider it one of the best aspects of living in a van for extended periods of time (not having to find a toilet constantly).

- Design with some thought to cleaning. The floor gets dirty really fast, and the more nooks and crannies you have, the more areas you have for dirt to accumulate. If you can, design your floor so you can sweep straight out the door (no lip to catch the dirt on). In the summer out here in the west, we're sweeping in a daily basis.

- If your funds support it, induction is a great way to keep humidity down inside when cooking. It also means no gas is needed and simplifies the things you need to think about. We love ours.

- Design your systems with maintenance in mind. Don't bury things behind boxes that lack access covers.

- We designed our interior with sideways sleeping but our heads on the driver side of the van due to road crown with camping in urban areas. We have cabinets over our feet.

- Everything you do in the van should be quick, easy, and convenient or you'll quickly start to hate it.

Last edited:

smoove_ride

Wrinkledpants, I'm not sure everyone thinks you need a ladder rack or 'Joe's Plumbing' on the side of the van to qualify to park/camp in urban areas. I also live in Denver, and see just about everything from Sprinters to beat out 40 year old RV's parked all over downtown with, what I assume, folks living/overnighting in them. I think Denver may be the exception as our homeless population has exploded in recent years, and the police are understaffed and have more pressing issues.

The premise is the less attention you draw to your vehicle, the less attention you'll receive.

While I agree a white work van is a target for folks looking for tools, I can't say an outdoor recreation vehicle is any less a target for folks looking for bikes/skis/etc..

Best of luck to the OP in his new adventure!

GSWatson

2013 144
I’m going to echo most of what was said above by Sprint2Freedom and those below. I’ve been living full time in my van for a little over two years now. It is anything but stealth with my kayak and windsurfer hanging off the side (actually, just kayak now. Some idiot stole my 20-year old Mistral Malibu two nights ago... see what happens when you don’t sleep in your van?).

My greatest asset is my community. I have a great group of friends both locally and scattered across the country. I’ve been working locally as a “creative Solutions Engineer,” which is a fancier word for handyman (and I consider my work fancier than a handyman’s). I’ve been fortunate to work for either friends or friends of friends, who become the former, and so generally park and live where I work. Because (from what I’ve been told) my work adds value to their homes, and (most importantly), my presence adds value to their lives, I have a limitless supply of work. I live in my van while working, which involves everything short of showering and #2. The neighbors are often very curious about the van, and often my day is interrupted by having to give a short tour instead of fetching the tool I went out to get.

Having this community is, for me an extension of family. As a friend once said, there is your Biological Family, over which you have no say, and there is your Logical Family, which you choose. I have a large and wonderful Logical Family. And it certainly makes Van Life much easer, and I’m very grateful for that. I’m used to living in small spaces and with minimal things - I was an Outward Bound instructor, living out of a backpack or sea duffel or kayak for years, and my wife and golden retriever lived on a 26’ sailboat for three years. In all cases, community was key. I’m often offered couches and spare beds, which I politely turn down - my van is my cozy home, my mattress is very comfortable, I’m surrounded by my books and memories of my life, and I can wake up early and make myself coffee without looking through the cupboards to find anything. On the other hand, I spent the weekend housesitting, which coincided with a nasty 24-hr stomach bug. In those cases, it’s nice to have a couch and big screen tv very close to indoor plumbing... Again, community matters.

When I’m taking time off between projects, which I do frequently as I also very much treasure my time alone, I’ve never had any issue with being hassled or asked to move. I’ve spent time in WalMart lots as a last resort (Bass Pro Shops are much nicer - trees!), state campgrounds, I spent three nights on the streets of Miami durning the boat show two years ago, countless nights here and there and in small towns along the way (I live in the SF area and visit my mother in Florida every year for a couple months). Personally, I don’t believe in ‘Stealth Camping.” I think a white van looks more suspicious than a colored one. And so I think my silver Mercedes badging with sports equipment hanging on the side, a dashboard garden of succulents and seashells and my rear windows’ collection of stickers from my travels mostly says ‘visiting friend of someone’ or just ‘probably not cooking meth in that van,’ and so I’m not the target of the cops or HOA’s. I have been broken into three times, twice in Oakland and once in SF (plus the windsurfer in Russian Hill, where my girlfriend lives), but that’s par for the course living in this particular area. My tools are under my bed, and since it doesn’t look like a tool van, so far no one has bothered to look in the back doors - it’s all smash-and-grab type.

Back to particulars - so far, I pee in Simply Lemonade bottles - wide mouths, stout construction, secure lids. I may add a Porta-potty at some point, but in two years I’ve either been at a house, near a Starbucks/McD/various store, or out in the wilderness with my shovel. My water system is a blue 6-gallon fresh water and a grey 5-gallon grey water jerry jugs. Easy to carry and refill/dump anywhere. On the road, the 6-gallon fills at any water dispenser in a grocery store or the like for $2. Lasts me about 5-7 days. I pour a half cap of bleach in to the empty grey jug, swish it around, and never had any odors. My sink is an Ikea lampshade upside down - it’s a nice big bowl that, if i can’t find a shower or a place to swim, I can wash my hair in it easily to rid myself of itchy scalp or mad genius hair. Baby wipes help the other areas for short stretches (a helpful tip from Burning Man.) I can also shower myself with a 2-liter soda bottle with 4 1/8” holes in the cap - the squeeze to dispense means I can aim the stream into my underarms or other non-gravity-friendly spaces... Kirk’s Castile bar soap is nicer than Dr. Bonner’s; doesn’t completely strip every single oil from your body. Also, look into AOBiome’s stuff - we’ve eliminated a type of bacteria from our skin that used to keep us fresher.

I have a 300ah agm bank and a 2kw inverter. I have a .5 liter electric kettle for coffee or hot drinks, a 2 liter InstantPot for cooking, and a butane 1-burner for when I need to use my small cast iron skillet to carmelize onions or the like. I have a 4 cu/ft AC dorm fridge; not the most efficient I’m sure, but it was a place holder for the build, and the 300w solar on the roof keeps up, or diving. If I’m in a spot where neither happens (at my mom’s I’m under a carport), I have a laptop power supply that tricks my solar controller (CTEK Dual) into thinking it’s sunny as hell.

I occasionally think about a stall shower/toilet, but not long enough to do anything about it. Possibly a road shower on the roof for after swimming in the ocean, but I’ve always like the feel of salt water drying on my skin, so...

Community is key.

I’m not sure what work you do, but being handy has served me well. I’ve twice, while on the road, stopped at a jib site and picked up a couple of days work by just walking up and talking to who’s in charge. Having tools with me means self sufficiency. And my tools are Ryobi, mainly, so they’re less likely to get poached, and cheap enough to replace if they do. I know, people think they’re toys, but they’re made by the same company as Rigid and Milwaukee, and I can do pretty much anything that someone with higher $$ tools can.

I think that’s enough stream of consciousness for a tuesday morning. Gotta get back to work; I’m on my first van commission...

Good luck in whatever you choose.

Cheers,
Greg

Top Bottom