High or Low Roof

Given the choice, would you prefer a high or low roof?

• High Roof

Votes: 427 77.9%
  • Low Roof

Votes: 121 22.1%

• Total voters

Drive28

Our high roof 2006 Roadtrek Adventurous RS probably could not accommodate the storage cabinets and other features we have if it was a low roof Class B. My wife and I are only 5'5" so bumping our heads if was low or high is not an issue. It is more of the amount of usable overhead space a high roof provides.

The only real surprise was on our first trips some years ago when certain toll roads/turnpikes accessed us double the toll for a vehicle over 7'10" high.....even though it has two axles and 4 wheels. A car toll through upstate NY on Rte 90 from Buffalo, NY to the Ma. border would be $15.30......for a high roof Sprinter (or any van over 7"10") it is $30.60. In Massachusetts you pay the regular car toll amount......so it varies from State to State

Last edited:

SummerWind

Our high roof 2006 Roadtrek Adventurous RS probably could not accommodate the storage cabinets and other features we have if it was a low roof Class B. My wife and I are only 5'5" so bumping our heads if was low or high is not an issue. It is more of the amount of usable overhead space a high roof provides.

snipped
I just drove one of those and you are so right!!! Can't create more space. The roof height is the only thing I'm certain of so far but
That is one sweet rig:rad:

Island Jim

Love my high roof cargo van. The surcharge for over height vehicles on the Washington state ferries was eliminated spring of 2015, just after I bought my van.

MillionMileSprinter

Millionmilesprinter.com
All my customers with low-roofed Sprinters tell me they wished they had gotten a high roofed one. The only complaints I have heard from my high roofed Sprinter customers is that it's a long way to reach up to get stuff on and off the ladder racks.

Sprinter SS

All my customers with low-roofed Sprinters tell me they wished they had gotten a high roofed one. The only complaints I have heard from my high roofed Sprinter customers is that it's a long way to reach up to get stuff on and off the ladder racks.
I have owned both, truly depends on how you are going to use it. Probably does not matter right now unless you are buying used as they are not producing any low tops through the NCV3 body finish run

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Built.Vans

2024 170 AWD
I've got a low roof and the plan is to send it to Sportmobile to have a pop top installed. As of right now I do not have the extra cash to do that so will wait a year. Camping in the low roof is do able for sure but if I were planning on spending a significant amount of time on the road I would definitely want the pop top installed or have a high roof. I like the idea of the pop top because of the additional ventilation and the fact that your bed is up and out of the way.

hippy

Hardware Modifier
The high top not only allows stand up walking about but overhead locker space high enough not to bang your head while sitting down at the table etc.
The only negative here for a high top in the UK is hight restricted carparks and McDonald's drive throughs have metal barriers to stop tall vans from entering.

Vanzer Pagen

I've got a low roof and the plan is to send it to Sportmobile to have a pop top installed. As of right now I do not have the extra cash to do that so will wait a year. Camping in the low roof is do able for sure but if I were planning on spending a significant amount of time on the road I would definitely want the pop top installed or have a high roof. I like the idea of the pop top because of the additional ventilation and the fact that your bed is up and out of the way.
I went with a low roof for the same reason. Saw the original Sportsmobile 4x4 and knew it was what I wanted, but I ended up with a Colorado Camper Van pop top due to the extra space and the way it was built. With that top, my van approaches the height of a tall roof. I do have standing room in the middle where the roof is cut out (CCV does not cut out the entire roof, another feature I liked).
I rented a high roof with bed installed over the cargo area/"garage". Felt claustrophobic and the van got stuffy. I'll take my pop top with the 6 windows any day even though it's way more expensive than throwing a bed frame in a high roof.

Big issue now is that the low roof is only available in the '19 cargo version and that comes with a big fugly metal wall in between the front seats and the rear area :thumbdown:

Garandman

Interesting experience today. We have a standard roof. My 6’2 son smacked his head several times while we were working.

A friend showed up who owns an Express. He got in, walked around and said, “This is awesome!” Ge’s 5’7.

glasseye

There is no substitute for stand-up headroom.
Especially when putting on your pants at dawn.:idunno:

ramblinfree

Hi Everyone,

I'm looking to buy a new sprinter soon, but can't decide between the high and low roof. I'm going to buy a 144" cargo and DIY camper conversion. I've read hundreds of threads here and noticed that most people seem to have high roof sprinters, but unfortunately my dealer only has a couple low roof shorties. My timeframe will not allow for a custom order from MB.

Also, reading all the problems people have with these things at what I'd consider relatively low miles is a little concerning. I suppose people don't post to forums when there's no problems, though.

I've tried to create a poll, but not sure if it will work. Opinions would be appreciated.

Thanks...
I have a 2017 144 crew high top. I love the high roof. Car washes are hard to find but I just wash it at home if an above freezing day comes around in winter. I switched the windows for CRLs that allow ventilation. This is my only vehicle so I did not fix it plush. Everything is removable so I can carry stuff and travel with overnight camping. Usually I just travel with my dog but if my spouse comes, it is tight. We leave the crew seat in for the dogs and carseat. I have a MOAB bed with a second set of rails. Using the full bed as queen size is comfy but there is no place to stand. It comes to the crew bench. It could be bunk beds and give room. They are now selling the wider rear section so bunks would work great. If its just me, I use 2 sections of the bed and sleep across. I use the third section as a shelf high above the bed and carry 3 laundry baskets up there for dirty clothes and shoes and supplies. there is room for the dog to move about and I can use my Keurig which sits on a LLBean square 3 shelf collapsable cabinet . I have a rectangle frame of 2x4s on the floor to keep stuff from shifting. When home the camping stuff comes out and its a cargo van. I love the flexibility of all purpose. I have the remote roof vent which really pulls in outside air.

Schneider84

I am 6’ and have the low or standard roof. I appreciate the lower vehicle profile for heating and removing heat, navigating narrow forest service roads and managing stiff winds. We typically drive some place and recreate, then sleep. Since we don’t spend a lot of time in the van (we cook and eat outside), height is not a big deal. A major negative is limited amount of accessories (e.g. roof racks) and build out options. If you plan on spending lots of time in your van or have a crew more than 4, the high roof is probably the way to go.

SOLBRTs

I’ve had both high and low. High is easier to move around in, runs a little cooler inside when stopped (heat can collect higher up) but has more space to cool when driving. High has more vertical space for beds/options for storage. High also comes with a ridiculous amount of anxiety on my part about overhanging branches, even on city streets. Lots of battle scars on high tops once you start looking. Neither high nor low will fit in most public garages, I suspect the same for most home garages but maybe someone who knows more can speak to that.

Honestly can’t tell you if I’d go high or low next time so I’m not sure if I’ve been of any help at all.

Top Bottom