Sprinter-Forum    

Go Back   Sprinter-Forum > NCV3 Sprinters > NCV3 4x4 Talk

NCV3 4x4 Talk General Discussions related to NCV3 4x4 Sprinters.

Old 03-13-2019, 06:02 PM   #41
Montucky

Default Re: Bicycle Rack for your 4x4

Quote:
Originally Posted by gltrimble View Post
Before I purchased the Van Compass step from Agile I held it up to my van. I assumed I would be modifying it to make it clear the Kuat. Once installed it did clear without any modifications but only by the slightest amount maybe 1/4Ē max.

Hard to believe the hitch or the step have changed dimensionally. But there could be minor manufacturing differences that would make it a tight fit. Below are some pictures I just took. Distance from end of factory hitch to step is 3.75Ē. Distance from centerline of pin hole to edge of step is 5.5Ē. Distance from Kuat swingarm to end is 7.8Ē. Distance from centerline of Kuat pin hole to end is 2.75Ē.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Thanks man for the measurements! I went out and measured mine and all are within about a 1/16" of your measurements. I'm 100% in agreement that this is just manufacturing drift - all adding up in the wrong direction to make it not work in my case. I think my only option is to try and grind out the threaded plate on the inside, and relocate and weld it an 1/8" or so that it lines up with the mount hole in the rack and with proper clearance to the VC step.... I looked inside the tube, and it's only welded on one side, so grinding it out is an option. or I could try and use a 16mm or 5/8" bolt from the other side to lock it into place, bypassing the threaded plate altogether. I'm leaning towards the grind and weld approach since this would allow me to use the locking pin... but... What a PITA!

Thanks again for the info.. I'll post back on what I come up with.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20190313-115449.jpg (35.1 KB, 84 views)
Montucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 07:38 PM   #42
patineto

Quote:
Originally Posted by err View Post
Here are a couple shots comparing the NSR to the Recon on a Sprinter.
More Recon Pictures, in my opinion better design than the north shore..

patineto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 07:52 PM   #43
gltrimble

Default Bicycle Rack for your 4x4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montucky View Post
Thanks man for the measurements! I went out and measured mine and all are within about a 1/16" of your measurements. I'm 100% in agreement that this is just manufacturing drift - all adding up in the wrong direction to make it not work in my case. I think my only option is to try and grind out the threaded plate on the inside, and relocate and weld it an 1/8" or so that it lines up with the mount hole in the rack and with proper clearance to the VC step.... I looked inside the tube, and it's only welded on one side, so grinding it out is an option. or I could try and use a 16mm or 5/8" bolt from the other side to lock it into place, bypassing the threaded plate altogether. I'm leaning towards the grind and weld approach since this would allow me to use the locking pin... but... What a PITA!

Thanks again for the info.. I'll post back on what I come up with.
One more tip while you have the welder setup. I cut, rotated, and welded the Kuat release handle. Previously it was just high enough to hit the driverís side rear door.

gltrimble is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 08:00 PM   #44
patineto

This is part of a Softride modular system, is not as stout as the other two contenders but is much smaller, foldable and somehow easy to take apart too..

Old 03-15-2019, 06:13 PM   #45
Nate.evans

Racks like the NSR, Recon, rat pack, etc. place a huge stress on the headset bearings. No so much on a 15 lb road bike on a short jaunt, but on a 30lb Mtb with a really slack head angle, it creates flatspots and just decimates the headset. Short shuttles arenít really an issue, and they are great for that (which is why you see them on shuttles a lot) but Iíve seen in as short as 500 miles a mtb develop a flat spot in the headset during a road trip.

Racks like the Kuat really are the best bet if you have to carry 4 or less bikes. I would heavily advise against those especially if doing long trips or having prolonged lives no trips off road.
Old 03-18-2019, 02:12 PM   #46
onlyontwo
Onlyontwo

That is interesting about the headset. We have a Recon rack on our Sprinter conversion and one of my bikes has ~5000 miles riding on it - no issues at all with the headset. I have witnessed no issues with our bikes from the rack. I did previously have a Rakattach swing with the 5 bike Recon mounted to it. No matter what I did there was too much movement for my taste. I have since taken off the swing and bought the original pivot from Recon. I am much happier with how solid it is and like that I can now open both of my doors all the way around.

I think so much of this is personal preference. If I had unlimited funds I would build a new van in a 170EX and mount all the bikes inside. Hard to do with our 170 3500 and sleeping 4.

Cheers,
-A
onlyontwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 12:38 AM   #47
odix@yahoo.com
'16 I4 2WD High Roof

I have a Recon 6 bike rack with the pivot direct mounted to hitch with a tightener. Solid rack. Have had six bikes on the back -- in the fall did a 720 mile round trip weekend (six bikes) to SoCal (Kernville) and the bikes (headsets) all fine. Zipping down I5 and some bumpy paved backroads -- but not off-road. Keep the rear (lower) bike wheels tightly lashed -- the rear bike tire knobs grip the rack. Recon racks are amazing. Only issue for me is I need help placing the rack off and on the van. Every ten trips or so tighten everything. And for really long bumpy off roads I can see an issue.
odix@yahoo.com is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 04:52 AM   #48
err

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate.evans View Post
Racks like the NSR, Recon, rat pack, etc. place a huge stress on the headset bearings. No so much on a 15 lb road bike on a short jaunt, but on a 30lb Mtb with a really slack head angle, it creates flatspots and just decimates the headset. Short shuttles arenít really an issue, and they are great for that (which is why you see them on shuttles a lot) but Iíve seen in as short as 500 miles a mtb develop a flat spot in the headset during a road trip.

Racks like the Kuat really are the best bet if you have to carry 4 or less bikes. I would heavily advise against those especially if doing long trips or having prolonged lives no trips off road.
Have any proof to substantiate these claims?
err is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 02:20 PM   #49
patineto

Quote:
Originally Posted by err View Post
Have any proof to substantiate these claims?
Yeah I want to see that too..

The early north shores hold the bike by the lower triple clamp, very abrupt, clumsy and cheesy but effective way to destroy the finish of your bike specially the stantions, but okay those guys are full of testosterone and many of them sponsor so it those not matter to them..

On the other hand is very well know the damage that you typical fork tray can do to the front drop outs of a fork, bend the steel, fatigue the aluminum, debold the carbon..

For sure transporting the bike flat and complete like most of the current hitch racks is so far the best option..

as a example, My Hack hitch rack, very nice but super heavy.

or even something as minimalist works just fine, one mount to the forks, the other one just holding one pedal, is not rocket science..

Old 03-19-2019, 04:33 PM   #50
hein
Van Guru

Thanked 1,649 Times in 930 Posts

For those folks with an aftermarket hitch and the factory step bumper, we produce a set of hitch arms that significantly improves the approach angle. You can cut off the OEM steel step platform and weld it onto our arms and then cut the cross tube of the aftermarket hitch and insert it into square cut outs on our arms. It tucks the receiver tube as close up under the step as possible and places the end right at the end of the step. These parts have been cut and should arrive at our warehouse shortly.

All the best,
Hein