Portable generator advice

Considering a "quiet" portable generator for occasional use off-grid camping. A local shop has the Yamaha EF2000IS on sale for $899, retail is $1299. My own ignorance is preventing me from just jumping on that deal so I would appreciate hearing from experienced rv'ers on a few questions:

1. what would ideal wattage be to run a kettle, hairdryer or small Dometic fridge for short periods? 2000W seems most popular.
2. any other brand recommendations? There are so many fake reviews on the 'net its hard to get real info from users :-( I'm partial to known brands like Yamaha and Honda and would pay a reasonable premium for these.
3. what features to look for in maintenance and storage? I've heard that fuel should be completely drained from carb and tank but not sure how easily that can be accomplished with all brands.

Last edited:

gltrimble

2017 170 4x4
Consider the Honda 2200 watt for $999. The extra 200 watts may come in handy.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

pfflyer

A fuel shut off would be a nice feature. If I remember correctly my Yamaha 3000watt had one but I don't know about the smaller ones. I sold that several years ago because it was too heavy to load myself and bought 2 Northern Tool suitcase inverter generators that are 2000w surge and 1600 running that can be combined to double the watts. The Northern Tool generators don't have a fuel shut off valve and like you said it is not good to let fuel sit in the carburetor. I don't know if it is a problem to let it sit in the tank though. I have to run them dry or tip them and drain the tank and then run dry. I may look into adding a shut off valve but the current set up isn't bad enough to go through the effort. I know you are partial to premium brands but after 3- 4 years they start with the first pull most times 2 pulls at the most. You could run all that you listed with 1600watts but most likely not all at once. Northern had them on sale for $569 recently and at that price you can do what I did and get two and have the extra power if you need it. I have only combined them once to run a 13000 or 15000 btu AC but one will run my 9000 btu portable unit.

I think these are US prices for the Honda and Northern Tool generators? I'm posting in Canada section ;-) The fuel issue is most worrying; I always had troubles with my motorcycle carbs after winter storage regardless of adding stabilizer.

Last edited:

pfflyer

I think these are US prices for the Honda and Northern Tool generators? I'm posting in Canada section ;-) The fuel issue is most worrying; I always had troubles with my motorcycle carbs after winter storage regardless of adding stabilizer.
I think you would be fine as long as you run it dry no matter what brand you choose.

Patty&Ed

I recommend finding the manual online for any gen you consider buying before you purchase. I purchased a Honda EU200i, because it was a Honda, only to find out when first performing maintenance and prep for storage that I had to turn the unit over to drain the fuel tank and lay it on it's side to drain the oil sump. It was an older machine, perhaps 10 yrs old now.

It is bad to let fuel sit in the tank for long periods. Gasoline blended with methanol, which is most gasoline sold in the US, deteriorates very quickly. Google gasoline phase separation.

Excellent advice! I found the Yamaha manual online and under Storage it first states to syphon the gas tank empty, then run about 20 minutes until engine quits, then remove side cover and undo a screw to drain the float bowl. Next remove spark plug and pour 1 tsp of motor oil into the cylinder and manually turn over several times to coat cylinder. It doesn't suggest draining the oil.

The Honda 2200W manual doesn't recommend running the engine. Instead they say you could leave the fuel in the tank and add stabilizer for periods of less than 1 year, but still drain the float bowl. Alternatively you could syphon the gas tank also.

Last edited:

Patty&Ed

I'm not an expert on gasoline storage. The total sum of my knowledge comes from reading and a bit of experience with old fuel. The old fuel was probably 6 yrs old in the tanks of a long unused boat I had purchased. PO claimed it was alcohol free fuel. I ran it mixed 50 - 50 with fresh gas in an old car. Definitely a loss of power when doing that.

Vailcomp

I have thought about looking into the Honda with propane conversion, so I don’t have carry gas in the rig. Have any of the forum members had any experience with the propane setup?

My neighbor has the Honda unit 2000 (gas) he uses it with his trailer - he has had other units, states the Honda is the best.

With some very careful choices regarding your hair dryer and kettle wattage this thing might fit the bill for truly occasional use.

It can run off a small 1lb camping sized propane cylinder or a bbq sized 20lb cylinder. No fuel to siphon, spill, go stale, or smell. Small and light.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Ryobi-900-Watt-Propane-Powered-Inverter-Generator-RYi911LP/302703564
Curious, how long will it run off a 1 lb propane cylinder? Ideally I would find a small, quiet diesel generator so I only have one fuel type to deal with, but those don't seem to exist.

smiller

2008 View J (2007 NCV3 3500)
I purchased a Honda EU200i, because it was a Honda, only to find out when first performing maintenance and prep for storage that I had to turn the unit over to drain the fuel tank and lay it on it's side to drain the oil sump.
The Honda eu2000i has a drain screw on the carburetor bowl and a drain line to the bottom of the unit, takes only seconds to drain the carb (with the unit in normal orientation), with no mess. They have been this way for just about forever AFAIK. There's no reason to drain the fuel tank itself, or the crankcase for any normal period of storage.

hippy

Hardware Modifier
If I was to buy a portable generator now I would find one that has a propane/gas input just for the fact my van runs of diesel but I intend to have a gas heating and hot water on board etc . Adding a third fuel to carry makes it more complicated.

FWIW, the Honda warranty is voided if damage or poor performance results from "neglected storage preparation" which according to the EU2200i manual includes draining the fuel tank and carburetor.

Patty&Ed

With some very careful choices regarding your hair dryer and kettle wattage this thing might fit the bill for truly occasional use.

It can run off a small 1lb camping sized propane cylinder or a bbq sized 20lb cylinder. No fuel to siphon, spill, go stale, or smell. Small and light.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Ryobi-900-Watt-Propane-Powered-Inverter-Generator-RYi911LP/302703564

Interesting little gen but I don't think it will run much of anything. Just checked the hair dryer, 1075 watts. Coffee maker, a very small one, 650 watts. Kettle 1100 watts. Probably best for some lighting, maybe a very small battery charger.

CB1945

FWIW, the Honda warranty is voided if damage or poor performance results from "neglected storage preparation" which according to the EU2200i manual includes draining the fuel tank and carburetor.
A few years ago I had a small engine Sales/Service business in Alberta. We sold and serviced all makes and models of small engine equipment including portable generators so I do have some insight to your question.
First, you won't be waiting your money buying a Honda or Yamaha generator. There is a reason they are more expensive than other makes. They pretty much all use a good engine but it's what's behind the engine that counts. The generator and controls are the big difference. These have much heavier windings to handle current inrush without going up in smoke for starters. I won't expand but I'm sure you get the picture.

As far as storage, 90% of our service work in the spring each year was on machines with rotten fuel from poor or zero storage preparation.
If you plan to store the generator only for a few months say over the winter, (I know that's half the year in AB) then adding a good fuel stabilizer will suffice.
But if you plan to store for long periods, say 8-12 months or more, you would be wise to drain the tank, start the engine and let it run dry. Draining the tank is pretty simple using a little hand siphon pump from Can Tire or Princ Auto to empty the tank without having to pull hoses or roll it upside down. (Just kidding on the rolling part)

A 2000W Honda will outperform many of the other 2500W units on the market.

FYI, the term "Void the warranty" just because of rotten fuel is not exactly true. The only part of the warranty voided would be related to the fuel system. Period.
In simple terms, Warranty covers Defects in Material and Workmanship by the OEM. Doesn't cover lack of maintenance, neglect or misuse on the part of the user.

Last edited:

Top Bottom