T21 lobotomy

O6sprinter

My truck was a fleet truck. I pulled a Carfax on it, didn't find it in the service record. There was little detail on every service performed. All service was performed at Naples Dodge. MillionMileSprinter if I recall that's was your area for a while. ( Hay Joel thanks again for your help with my wiring harness)

What are the chances it received a forced t21 recall/lobotomy?

Is there anyway I could see anything on my autel 802?

I'm having problem with my mass airflow sensor, from what I've read it stopped the the ECM from reading the maf sensor. Not the problem I'm having, I'm getting desperate.

Thanks Lee

Attachments

MillionMileSprinter

Millionmilesprinter.com
Hey Lee!
Great to hear that new wiring harness is working out for you. No need to go to the dealership. You can just give them a call, give them your VIN and ask if there are any open recalls for your van.

O6sprinter

I'll make that call tomorrow, I'm afraid I know the answer. When I purchased it, Thay gave me paperwork no accidents no recalls. ( DAMN!!!!)

That's sucks, From what I understand it takes a smart guy with expensive equipment to reprogram these ECM'S. I've read about sos and gde.
I'll start with a rum&coke, maybe 2

Lee

Lotus54

During my recent water pump replacement at a dealer- they told me it had a recall
But I was very specific that they did NOT do it! And they did not

I can’t remember the last time I paid to have repairs done (I do them all) but was traveling and didn’t want to take a chance

Last edited:

O6sprinter

Just In case this makes it to write-ups. I'm pleasantly surprised how much a stiff rum & coke helps. ( Me not the truck )

I'm shotgunning $75 on a intake air temperature & a boost pressure sensor. It's going to be here tomorrow. I'm seeing 176 degrees on my scanner, HOPEFULLY this will be my last shotgun. I'll change them tomorrow, why not I'll be out of rum. If it clears my my p2067 & p2068 and it will run with the mass airflow sensor pluged in I'll drive it the rum store.

I'm not sure if this will change anything, if not I'll ohm/meter the maf connector also the intake air pressure sensor. The ECM doesn't detect if it's plugged in or unplug.

Hopefully I'll come up with something, if not it might be time for a ECM exorcism.

hulagun

Haulin' A** since 1974
Good grief, 06, don't panic. :)

You don't show anywhere I can see that you own a 2004 model... just guessing from your User Name its an 06. (suggest Forum members add a signature or bio with Van Year visible so we can help you better). I'm unclear on what your issue is (p2067 & p2068 codes?) but from what I recall reading the T21 causes problems in the 2004 model year vans. And mainly battery discharge problems. Other issues with your van may unrelated...?

BTW, fastest way to tell if you have the T21 recall done already, so I hear, is this: (assuming you don't have a GDE or similar tune) it will exceed 83 MPH. Silver lining!

O6sprinter

Hay Hulagun, I see you got a great sense of humor:

I'm doing this from my phone I can't make the below a link. If anyone can, it would be very much appreciated.

Default Stuck in New Jersey with a non-functioning turbo

I'm having the exact same readings as the post above. Do to previous wiring harness molestation & history of these wiring harness is going bad. I replaced the harness, thanks to the help of some friendly members on the form & less than 600 bucks, I installed the new OEM harness. The new harness did clear the fuel temperature sensor code. The maf and the ecm not detecting if the intake air pressure sensor is plugged in or not, problems remade.

I shotgunned 75 bucks on a boost pressure and air temperature sensor, I didn't think was going to make any difference. Just desperate!!!

I've read a few references to the t21 lobotomy. That made the ECM not read the mass air flow sensor. ( on 06 sprinters ) yes 06sprinter.

Before the wiring harness change out, I couldn't help to notice how hot the ECM was. After changing the wiring harness the ECM is now at a significantly cooler temperature.

I decided to open the ECM yesterday, to start with the screws holding down the cover plate were only finger tight. The cover plate came off very easily, I was not its first. I'm just going to be the first to spend money on it!!!! ( yay me )

On the pics attached you can see the greasy spots on printed circuit board. and the smoke / film on the cover. ( I hope that's OEM grease / smoke )

I know some of you pro's have seen the insides of an ECM. Any input would be much appreciated:professor:

Attachments

Midwestdrifter

Engineer In Residence
solder flux "grease" residue is pretty common on PCBs. There is also thermal compound (the grey stuff). This helps conduct heat from the PCB/chips to the casing or heatsinks.

A burned board will have obvious discoloration (flux will easily clean/scrape off). Traces will be discolored or lifted if burned. Burned PCB material and the smoke residue it leaves will smell acrid, just like burning fiberglass.

What MWD said.

Small air circulation is set up by any heating of components. Even in a "sealed" case over time those air currents can cause what is shown in your pictures.

I can't say say whether what you have is unusual. I can say that I have seen similar discoloration on normally operating enclosed circuit boards.

:2cents: vic

Top Bottom