Sluggish 2010 - pedal down, 2-3 second pause before accelerating

powderhoundin

For the past while there has been something really weird going on with my 2010 Sprinter 2500. It is crazy slow to get going from a dead stop. If there is a slight incline, it can't even make it up. You press down on the accelerator pedal and almost nothing happens; it creeps forward slowly and then boom, full power.

It seems to drive fine otherwise, rolling stops are fine, drives fine at low rpm once moving but from a dead stop it can barely move.

Anyone experience anything like this before?

I searched the net and these forums but I haven't come across anything that sounds similar. The additional detail is that this seemed to start after a local independent mechanic replaced the DPF for me, last August.

lindenengineering

Could be many things
BUT your written narrative poses a question???
Methinks
When the DPF as changed was it taught in by the shop that replaced it upon install?
Was the differential pressure sensor socket and sensor replaced as well?
Factory upgrade for Blurrtecs!
Dennis

MeRob

Interesting...Is this particular DPF Factory Upgrade only available, if you can prove that you have a legitimate MB Approved 'issue' ?

lindenengineering

Well I don't know from the poker game MB plays with SI's.
We get them from a subscription to a professional web site.
We conduct this mod on every Blurrtech we see!!
Reduces the soot stored data and certainly keeps the DPF efficiency figures lower than the older set up.
Dennis

lockrob

Need to scan .
Mine acted the same way . Had a tune on it couldn’t figure out problem .Tune was blocking the scanner from seeing problem.
Needed to reflash ECM to remove tune .5 min later bad DPF pressure sensor!

powderhoundin

Sorry, I typed my original post out quickly and forgot a key part of the story.

Last week, after the Adblue count down message started counting down and wouldn't reset, I got fed up and had a local sprinter "expert" do a DPF delete for me, including a reflash of the ECU to remove all DPF / Adblue codes.

So now the van has no DPF, no codes but still doesn't go anywhere when you step on the gas. The shop that did the DPF delete thinks it's intake related, but they aren't sure. I thought I would come here and see if anyone else has had this issue before I throw more money away..

4wheeldog

2018 144" Tall Revel
Sorry, I typed my original post out quickly and forgot a key part of the story.

Last week, after the Adblue count down message started counting down and wouldn't reset, I got fed up and had a local sprinter "expert" do a DPF delete for me, including a reflash of the ECU to remove all DPF / Adblue codes.

So now the van has no DPF, no codes but still doesn't go anywhere when you step on the gas. The shop that did the DPF delete thinks it's intake related, but they aren't sure. I thought I would come here and see if anyone else has had this issue before I throw more money away..
There have been people who described similar symptoms, and it turned out to be a defective torque convertor.

supermoo

I have a very similar issue. When it is cold and I am at higher altitudes, I start the van (no problems starting), I put the into Drive and can put the gas pedal to the floor and go nowhere. When the van is in Park or Neutral, the van will rev as normal. When I put the van into Drive, and put the gas pedal to the floor, I will get no increase in engine revs. The van goes nowhere during these few seconds. If I were on an incline of any sort, I wouldnt move anywhere. Almost like the brakes are on.

Lately when this happens, I will put the van into Reverse, where it seems to behave normally. Then, I stop and move the van back to Drive and it will slowly start to creep forward. Once it is moving a little bit it starts to get better. Once it has started to drive, it gets warmed up and I never have the problem again. I have to think it is transmission related but the lack of any revs at the start is weird and doesnt make sense. It sort of feels like the engine, although idling fine, cannot get any power to the transmission.

Again, this only happens when it is cold outside and I tend to be at high altitudes (Colorado) at the same time.

I have an appointment with Dennis at Linden Engineering shortly, so hopefully he will be able to figure it out.

D

Deleted member 50714

The only method to accurately ascertain you vehicle's issues is via OBD diagnoses by knowledgeable and experienced technician employing a high-end bi-directional scanner, ideally Star Xentry a proprietory Mercedes-Benz brand. Diagnosis without a scanner is guessing and wastes time/money.

Unfortunately, because of the emmisions delete, a scanner may not be of any help.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well your throttle isn't tied to a cable its electronic. So since you are getting no engine revs I would think that your computer is not allowing your engine to rev. Its ultimately in control of those things. When my EGR needs cleaning I get a shudder at low speeds and a loud clunk and sloppy shifting, but if i put my foot in it everywhere I go there is no issue at all. I know for 100% certain that removing and cleaning the EGR solves the problem. Since being certain I have had 3 different Sprinter techs in the van with me to experience this issue and see if they could figure it out. All of them said transmission related. However the transmission reads manifold pressure and if manifold pressure is wrong (to much or to little pressure from the EGR being stuck the wrong direction) then the transmission doesn't shift correctly.

Im trying my best to get these EGR's as a recall item because its bull****!

For my next trick I plan to remove the 90 degree flex elbow between the EGR an the EGR cooler and block both of them off to see what will happen running it that way. So the EGR still functions but the exhaust gases have no where to go.

supermoo

Well your throttle isn't tied to a cable its electronic. So since you are getting no engine revs I would think that your computer is not allowing your engine to rev. Its ultimately in control of those things. When my EGR needs cleaning I get a shudder at low speeds and a loud clunk and sloppy shifting, but if i put my foot in it everywhere I go there is no issue at all. I know for 100% certain that removing and cleaning the EGR solves the problem. Since being certain I have had 3 different Sprinter techs in the van with me to experience this issue and see if they could figure it out. All of them said transmission related. However the transmission reads manifold pressure and if manifold pressure is wrong (to much or to little pressure from the EGR being stuck the wrong direction) then the transmission doesn't shift correctly.

Im trying my best to get these EGR's as a recall item because its bull****!

For my next trick I plan to remove the 90 degree flex elbow between the EGR an the EGR cooler and block both of them off to see what will happen running it that way. So the EGR still functions but the exhaust gases have no where to go.
Thanks for your response. I will have to really take note of the process next time this happens and maybe even get a video of the process. When it started to happen, I wondered if I let it 'warm up' a bit more would help, but I dont let the van idle too long before starting, so I dont know how long I would have to let things warm up for in order to see it go away.

I clean the EGR pretty regularly and I definitely notice a difference after I do the cleaning. I dont think that is it as I cleaned the EGR not that long ago but maybe another cleaning and then a trip this weekend will tell me.

My big concern is one day I will start on a hill and will never get out. I am still thinking there is something going on with the torque convertor but then I would feel issues with all the other driving I would expect? The mystery continues, hopefully Dennis will be able to figure it out.

smurph

The mystery continues, hopefully Dennis will be able to figure it out.
Just wondering if you discovered why it's doing that. I have a similar issue. I was getting a hiccup upon acceleration. Cleaned the EGR and all better again. But it's still sluggish starting out unless I put my foot into it and I prefer to take off slowly - wear/tear/economy. Mine is a 2013 2500 with 129,000 kms.

AEmedic

I have nearly the identical problem on my brand new 2017 with 700 miles on it. I think it relates to engine temp, at least that is when I notice it the most. When I start out with a cold engine, it falls on it's face during initial acceleration and then all of a sudden it surges forward. It is hard to catch the surge and it feels dangerous when I need to merge into traffic.

Wrinkledpants

2017 144WB 4x4
Our 2017 4x4 is slow off the line when at elevation (Denver is 5K ft). At sea level, no such issue. We had the same situation with our Cayenne Turbo, and it just came down to turbo lag. Once the turbo is spooled up, then bam - power comes on. It'll be more evident with a 5-speed than a vehicle with more gears. No idea if this is what you're facing as this appears to be a new issue for you. I don't even think about our trans or what gear we're in at sea level. I'm definitely thinking about it at altitude, especially at hair pins when, just like our CTT, it takes ever so slightly longer to kick down. If we're over 12k ft and the road is steep enough, we've sometimes struggled to get the van going without low-range.

Davidboco

supermoo - any luck with your sluggish van? My has the exact problems as your and it's showing up again as the temps are dropping, and it happens at elevation too - here is your past post;

I have a very similar issue. When it is cold and I am at higher altitudes, I start the van (no problems starting), I put the into Drive and can put the gas pedal to the floor and go nowhere. When the van is in Park or Neutral, the van will rev as normal. When I put the van into Drive, and put the gas pedal to the floor, I will get no increase in engine revs. The van goes nowhere during these few seconds. If I were on an incline of any sort, I wouldnt move anywhere. Almost like the brakes are on.

Lately when this happens, I will put the van into Reverse, where it seems to behave normally. Then, I stop and move the van back to Drive and it will slowly start to creep forward. Once it is moving a little bit it starts to get better. Once it has started to drive, it gets warmed up and I never have the problem again. I have to think it is transmission related but the lack of any revs at the start is weird and doesnt make sense. It sort of feels like the engine, although idling fine, cannot get any power to the transmission.

Again, this only happens when it is cold outside and I tend to be at high altitudes (Colorado) at the same time.

I have an appointment with Dennis at Linden Engineering shortly, so hopefully he will be able to figure it out.

4wheeldog

2018 144" Tall Revel
Our 2017 4x4 is slow off the line when at elevation (Denver is 5K ft). At sea level, no such issue. We had the same situation with our Cayenne Turbo, and it just came down to turbo lag. Once the turbo is spooled up, then bam - power comes on. It'll be more evident with a 5-speed than a vehicle with more gears. No idea if this is what you're facing as this appears to be a new issue for you. I don't even think about our trans or what gear we're in at sea level. I'm definitely thinking about it at altitude, especially at hair pins when, just like our CTT, it takes ever so slightly longer to kick down. If we're over 12k ft and the road is steep enough, we've sometimes struggled to get the van going without low-range.
I live at 7200' elevation and have a 2018 4x4.

When I first arrived at near sea level, it was amazing how much more the first bit of throttle did.

D

Deleted member 50714

My 2015 is sluggish and accept it as a consequence of buying a European vehicle. I thinks it's turbo lag? Dunno. Not a dragster anyway.

justified

Yeah, my 2011 does this. I have the malone tuning delete, the extra hp, and no cap on top speed. I can't remember what the initial pedal response was but it takes a second or 2 to get going...then fires like a banshee. I don't remember the sprinter ever being quick off the line, but I feel like something is wrong but i'm just not sure. The on a hill and wont go at all I get too. I've read bout the torque converter issue...i've also am looking at this pedal box solution to see if it would eliminate these problems. I will say this, after malone's tuning, my Sprinter is the best vehicle I've ever owned and I have a feeling me and 'her' will be growing pretty darn old together. :) I have forgot all about what limp mode feels like.

justified

supermoo - any luck with your sluggish van? My has the exact problems as your and it's showing up again as the temps are dropping, and it happens at elevation too - here is your past post;

I'd be very interested in what they end up finding out.

Top Bottom