3.0 High mileage PM?

Northernbill

Hi, Long time reader, first post.
My 2011 2500 170 extended, is getting close to 600,000 miles on the clock. So far regular maint. and repair has kept it very reliable. At about 240K it was performance tuned and gutted. Not sure if there are known, or recommend mileage points to replace the turbo or other components that could have catastrophic failure. The van is used for hauling freight, and is a little heavy with a sleeper and personal stuff for two people. Most of the miles are freeway, around 68 mph cruise. Engine, Trans and Rear End are original.
What might I consider as prudent to replace or rebuild for continued reliable service?
Thanks Bill

Last edited:

Wrinkledpants

2017 144WB 4x4
That's impossible. The V6 is so unreliable :)

I would say nothing at this point. Turbos, diffs, etc - they typically show warning signs before failing. I don't typically rebuild lubricated parts for preventative maintenance. Things that are bolted to the outside of the engine and subject to the elements would be different.

What's your oil change interval? Which oil are you using? Are you using any? If oil consumption is solid, your diffs aren't screaming, the turbo doesn't sound like a drill or is leaking oil, then I'd continue doing exactly what you've been doing.

smiller

2008 View J (2007 NCV3 3500)
At about 240K it was performance tuned and gutted.
Which is probably why it has lasted to 600k without problems ;) And the mostly freeway mileage probably didn't hurt either.

Congratulations on your milestone, very impressive. At that mileage some kind of major failure becomes more likely but I don't think it's possible to accurately guess what the culprit will ultimately be, and you can spend a lot of money pre-emptively replacing expensive parts such as the turbo only to be bitten by something else. Beyond the usual things (belts/tensioner, hoses, etc.) about all you can do is keep a close eye on things and increase the frequency of inspections. If you want real peace of mind (and plan on keeping the vehicle) a complete remanufactured engine from either MB or one of the few well-vetted aftermarket sources is probably the way to go and will keep you in good shape for another half-million miles. If you don't want to do that then I'd say frequent inspections and maintain a high level of awareness, and hopefully you'll have some warning before something lets go. I don't see how you can econmically replace major engine parts pre-emptively though, just no way to know what to replace or if it will really result in a net increase in reliability.

You are not alone in making that kind of decision, many of us who have a sleeper/RV application and often end up far from home and reliable service face the same issue. At some-hundred-thousand mile mark I will someday be in the same boat, but 600k... man, that's outstanding.

Last edited:

enjoitheride

Hi, Long time reader, first post.
My 2011 2500 170 extended, is getting close to 600,000 miles on the clock. So far regular maint. and repair has kept it very reliable. At about 240K it was performance tuned and gutted. Not sure if there are known, or recommend mileage points to replace the turbo or other components that could have catastrophic failure. The van is used for hauling freight, and is a little heavy with a sleeper and personal stuff for two people. Most of the miles are freeway, around 68 mph cruise. Engine, Trans and Rear End are original.
What might I consider as prudent to replace or rebuild for continued reliable service?
Thanks Bill

What type of oil are you using? Any additives? What is your change frequency?

This is awesome! Congrats. Apparently you are doing something right

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

icarus

I would consider doing a oil analysis on a regular basis. As has been said, you are doing something right.

Icarus

Northernbill

After the tune I changed to Moble 1 European formula. Oil change at about 15K, do it myself. It uses about 2 Qts in 10K, no additives. Good idea, having the oil analysed, should be doing that. Front struts are lasting about 300K, A/C compreser, once a year. Three power steering pumps so far. One alternator, turbo resonator, oil filter adaptor reseal, tie rod ends.

Last edited:

enjoitheride

After the tune I changed to Moble 1 European formula. Oil change at about 15K, do it myself. It uses about 2 Qts in 10K, no additives. Good idea, having the oil analysed, should be doing that. Front struts are lasting about 300K, A/C compreser, once a year. Three power steering pumps so far. One alternator, turbo resonator, oil filter adaptor reseal, tie rod ends.

That’s awesome.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lockrob

My turbo let go at 200k . No prewarning, not heavy footed.Went to move from stop and it fell flat .
I would drive it until it goes .

showkey

With success like that I would not change or do anything different than what your already doing.:cheers:

Top Bottom