Installing Hitch 2006 Gulf Stream Vista Cruiser G24 (2005 Freightliner chassis)

beesrus

My husband and I are trying to get a hitch receiver installed on our recently purchased G24, and have been told by two outfits that it is not possible due to location of water tanks. I searched the forum but could find no posts related to this. Has anyone else encountered this problem?

kenpavol

Installing a trailer hitch was one of the first things I did to our 2005 G24. That was in 2011 and I can't recall the manufacturer. I searched the internet and found it, installed it myself. Frame mount and rated for over the 5000 lbs the sprinter is rated to tow. Only about $150. But you'll find a MB factory trailer wiring harness will set you back close to $250. Its necessary or you may get engine lights using cheaper substitutes. Apparently can cause voltage changes that will trigger check engine lights. I installed the factory harness myself too. If you only need the hitch for a bike rack or cargo rack you could skip the wiring harness.

beesrus

Thanks, Ken. Do you remember if the location of any of the water tanks was an issue for you during installation? I would assume that they are in the same place if each of ours is a 2005 chassis. Would it be asking too much to have you take & post a picture of the hitch and where it attaches on your vehicle?

kenpavol

The hitch doesn't clear the black water tank by much. I did find some ID on the hitch. Its a Reese Drawtite Hidden Hitch Classic. Another sticker has this info: DT 75210. HH 87647. Hitch Dodge Sprinter 06-14-11 (apparently the manufacture date). You should be able to find one with that data. These vans were often factory equipped with hitches, so they're out there.

kenpavol

I went online and saw vendors that sell this Drawtite hitch. You have the 158" wheelbase and single rear tires. I saw where they specify the hitch will not fit with a rear step bumper. I have a rear step bumper and my hitch fit fine.You may want to contact Drawtite and get a recommendation direct from them.

Top Bottom