Advice please gurus

niki

I have a 2000 sprinter. Not knowing my stuff, I got a little hustled by the guy who sold it to me, and it hasn't been well looked after. I have converted it into my dream motor home... and now the engine is done. The fuel pump was not properly bolted in, and it has caused significant damage to the engine. I have been given the options to a) source a second hand engine - of which only one is available Australia wide, apparently, and already has 437k on it - or b) pull out the engine and see if it can be fixed. No guarantees. Both options at around $10-$15000.

From a quick look over sales posts, it seems as though I could buy another sprinter in this price range, and move our camper set up across.

Would anyone have any advice in this situation? This is our full time home as we travel. I am a single mama and if I get it wrong this time we are in trouble!

Would anyone have any advice in this situation? This is our full time home as we travel. I am a single mama and if I get it wrong this time we are in trouble!
Check with Eric Experience. He may know of some other sources. Try a PM.

Best of luck.
:cheers: vic

Midwestdrifter

Engineer In Residence
Where are you located? Eric is in melbourne, and may be willing to provide a second opinion. He also has some used parts and engines he may be willing to sell. Eric Experience is this forum name, you can send him a PM.

Even if the HP pump was not bolted properly, the damage is probably not very bad, possibly confined to the camshaft, and front timing covers. With one exception. If the timing chain jumped or broke, the engine will need rebuilt.

The OM612 is a robust engine, and readily rebuilt by any skilled machine shop/mechanic familiar with diesels.

If you can post some photos, we may be able to provide more detailed advice.

FYI, the OM612 was also used in ML270CDI suv from mercedes. These can often be had at reasonable prices. It would be reasonable to transfer the accessories from your engine (if unusable) to a engine pulled from an ML.

Last edited:

niki

Thank you - I am in Canberra.

They did say there was damage to the engine casing and the plate (?), but that they could not tell anymore until it was all pulled out of the van and taken apart.
The van is in with the mechanic at the moment, so I don't have access to photos unfortunately. Fingers crossed it isn't as bad as initially suggested then, or can indeed be rebuilt easily enough.

I will send Eric a PM :)

Midwestdrifter

Engineer In Residence
If it is the HP pump that is damaged (or the mounting) these can all be addressed with the engine in the vehicle. The radiator and AC condenser can be swung to the side for easy access to the front. The HP fuel pump is mounted to the front top of the engine, and engages with the intake camshaft for drive. Its bolts go into the engine head, and the timing chain cover. All of which are serviceable with the engine in the van. Head removal in place can be a pain though.

The timing cover can be replaced with the engine in the van, but the oil pan needs to be partially unbolted if I remember correctly.

I have recovered damaged holes in aluminum in place on several occasions. Many mechanics are not machinists, and really prefer to just change parts. While a skilled fabricator/machinist etc could fill a hole with a welder, or use a threaded insert etc.

Last edited:

jaahn

Hi Niki :)
Bad luck. I guess you should give more details about your Sprinter so we can be sure what you have. They may have a 5 Cyl or a 4 cyl engine depending on the model. Both engines are older designs which have been very reliable. Being fairly old now you should get a second hand motor cheaper than that.
Are you in a motoring organisation like the NRMA ? You could ask them for some advice too. They would probably do a technical inspection or recommend someone to do one.

There is a Mercedes wrecker up our way who might have one in the vans down the back. He probably does not list things he has normally Ask if you need the contact number.
Jaahn

owner

Oz '03 316CDI LWB ex-Ambo Patient Transport
Niki you really need to give us the specs of your van.

I would guess if there is "only 1 engine in Oz available" then maybe its the older non-CDI van in 4cyl guise since the changeover to CDI was around 2000? That would be an OM601 engine. I would have thought either the CDI 5cyl (OM612) or non-CDI 5cyl (OM602) would be readily available here. Or maybe its an OM611 313 van, which are getting quite rare now since they blow at around 400km.

Whatever it is there will be a way of getting back on the road for a fraction of what you've been quoted. We just need the specs. Maybe post your VIN if you don't know what model it is.

Fairly certain the OM 601 doesnt have the fuel pump bolted to the front. Standard inline pump on the side.

Owner, when you say the 611 engine blows around 400k, what usually happens?

owner

Oz '03 316CDI LWB ex-Ambo Patient Transport
They spin a main bearing. I assume its a similar situation to the 315 issue, since the bottom end is the same. But the 20hp difference means it lasts twice as long before the caps deform.

Top Bottom