Hellwig Sway bar

flman

So installed the Hellwig sway bar on my 2500 NCV3 170 yesterday and it works just great. I am heavily loaded and it used to rock and roll, and be very unstable while driving. I did not do a write up because it comes with installation instructions, more like a picture.

Pros:
No more rock and roll.
Stiffer cornering.
No more getting jolted around the van if the tire goes in a hole.
No rocking over speed bumps.
Much less wind sway.

Cons:
I was not on the van when I bought it.
It was supposed to have all needed parts, but I had to buy 2- 1/2" x 6" number 8 bolts along with washers and lock nuts to fasten the links to the frame. I let Hellwig know about this.

Here is a pic, notice I also put air shocks under the axle to bring up the height, my glorified jumbo soccer mom van is improving and feeling more like a truck with each new accessory. :thumbup:

Be sure to contact Hellwig before you order a sway bar, I was shipped the wrong one the first time from Autopartswharehouse.com according the their application data. But they covered return and shipping both ways.

jackfish

Many people have said that for the 2500 it is best to go with the Roadmaster anti-sway bar rather than the Hellwig. While it is not as thick as the Helwig, the Roadmaster is a drop in replacement in the 2500, whereas the Hellwig takes an inelegant approach. The Hellwig for the 3500 is superior in some ways to the Roadmaster for the 3500 and is a drop in replacement.

Graphite Dave

Dave Orton
I still have a Hellwig 1 1/8" bar for a NCV3 that someone can have free. Do not want to ship it. Did not like clamping to the axle housing. Replaced it with a better design Roadmaster.

flman

What is the big deal, the clamps are not going to hurt anything. Why would I want a thinner bar? Any pics of the Roadmaster?

Graphite Dave

Dave Orton
What is the big deal, the clamps are not going to hurt anything. Why would I want a thinner bar? Any pics of the Roadmaster?
Hellwig clamps bar to axle housing. Roadmaster uses the original Sprinter bar attachment points with a new larger bushing. The Hellwig does not have much clamping surface contact with the axle housing. Search "Hellwig" for more information. Hellwig bar for a 3500 is fine but the Roadmaster is a better design for the 2500 IMO.

https://sprinter-source.com/forums/showpost.php?p=254460&postcount=10

As I said I have a free Hellwig bar if someone wants it and or the original Mercedes bar.

Did find a marked improvement in handling with the larger diameter bar. Did not help the jumping when entering driveways diagonally. Did not see a major change in that handling trait.

Last edited:

flman

Hellwig clamps bar to axle housing. Roadmaster uses the original Sprinter bar attachment points with a new larger bushing. The Hellwig does not have much clamping surface contact with the axle housing. Search "Hellwig" for more information. Hellwig bar for a 3500 is fine but the Roadmaster is a better design for the 2500 IMO.

https://sprinter-source.com/forums/showpost.php?p=254460&postcount=10

As I said I have a free Hellwig bar if someone wants it and or the original Mercedes bar.

Did find a marked improvement in handling with the larger diameter bar. Did not help the jumping when entering driveways diagonally. Did not see a major change in that handling trait.
My back driveways has a uneven surface to the road, that was the first improvement I saw.

And the clamps do not bother me, I can not see them from the drivers seat. :smirk:

Maybe you should list the sway bars in Sprinter parts for a bigger crowd?

drake123

My wife and I just completed a 5500 mile trip from Pa to Nv in our 2014 ERA 170A Win 3500. We certainly plan to contact Hellwig. Do you recommend Just the rear or both front and rear?
Thanks, Drake

Graphite Dave

Dave Orton
My back driveways has a uneven surface to the road, that was the first improvement I saw.

And the clamps do not bother me, I can not see them from the drivers seat. :smirk:

Maybe you should list the sway bars in Sprinter parts for a bigger crowd?
I did list it for free but do not want to ship it. Will give it to the new buyer to pass on to someone that wants it. Hate to take it to the dumps. Scheduled to deliver Sprinter on Nov. 9th. to new owner.

jackfish

My wife and I just completed a 5500 mile trip from Pa to Nv in our 2014 ERA 170A Win 3500. We certainly plan to contact Hellwig. Do you recommend Just the rear or both front and rear?
Thanks, Drake
I believe Hellwig only makes a rear replacement anti-sway bar for the Sprinter 3500. A heavy duty front anti-sway bar is available from Mercedes Benz as an option.

flman

Thanks, Drake
I do not have the front one, and do not feel it is needed, but maybe if I had the front one I would like it? Plus if I had the front one I would drive that much faster?

Any ways, make sure the clamps are tightened tight, not to that wimpy 80 ft lb spec.

I bought the Hellwig as well and after laying all the parts out and looking at the attachment method with U bolts I have decided not to use it. I ordered the Roadmaster instead as it uses the well engineered Mercedes attachment points. I can’t see clamping something to a round axle housing and expecting it to resist torsional forces exerted by a huge sway bar. I know that some have complained the sway bar is too close to ebrake cable as well. If anyone wants the Hellwig send me shipping costs and it’s yours!

Top Bottom