Here comes Hyundai

flman

Roadrunner, Genius of Birds ALWAYS WINS! NO FAILS!
Graphite has a whole different gig than what I plan to do.
We live at 7200' elevation, so snow is a real issue.
Also, many places we go are down dirt/gravel roads with the occasional dry wash to cross.
Long overhangs get hung up in those. 4x4s with shorter overhangs can go a lot more places without issue.
Enjoy your Transits. Who knows......Maybe Ford will get it right next time, so my wife and I fit.
But given that I typically keep vehicles 20 years, and I am 66.......I don't think there will be a next time.
LOL, I was referring to you moving back to California where you said you might even get a Transit, by all means in the mountains 4x4 is the way to go.

I planned on my Sprinter taking me to retirement, it would have only had to last for 14 years, which is nothing considering my 2006 is still going, it was a 2010 and the POS with all its LHMs, and failures, blew the engine at 52K and did me a favor, because I am a glutton for punishment, and would have kept it running other wise.

So never say never, or last one.

flman

Graphite Dave does not have an extended Transit. Have 148" WB so the length is within inches of the sold 144" WB of the sold Sprinter. The two wheel drive Transit can be ordered with a mechanical limited slip rear. Not 4x4 but better than without LS. Did not notice much difference between the 08 Sprinter and the 15 Transit seating. Definitely prefer driving the Transit compared to the Sprinter. Transit drives like a good car and Sprinter like a heavy truck. When my wife comments how much better it is then there is no argument! After 52 years you have to agree.
Dave, I thought the high roof was only available in the extended version of the Transit, at least when I bought my 2017, considering I had to teach the salesman what it was? :thinking:

Mine is extended and also has the 148" WB, that is shared amongst the shorter ones as well.

Graphite Dave

Dave Orton
Dave, I thought the high roof was only available in the extended version of the Transit, at least when I bought my 2017, considering I had to teach the salesman what it was? :thinking:

Mine is extended and also has the 148" WB, that is shared amongst the shorter ones as well.
I have 2015 high roof not extended.

4wheeldog

2018 144" Tall Revel
Graphite Dave does not have an extended Transit. Have 148" WB so the length is within inches of the sold 144" WB old Sprinter. The two wheel drive Transit can be ordered with a mechanical limited slip rear. Not 4x4 but better than without LS. Did not notice much difference between the 08 Sprinter and the 15 Transit seating. Definitely prefer driving the Transit compared to the Sprinter. Transit drives like a good car and Sprinter like a heavy truck. When my wife comments how much better it is then there is no argument! After 52 years you have to agree.
The overhang comment was in response to the flman claiming it as an advantage.
I am happy for you that the Transit meets your needs.
Unfortunately, the driving position met me knees, not my needs.
So it really was not an option.
Neither is a vehicle without 4wd, LS rear or no.
I live in totally different circumstances than you or the flman......So it is good we all have choices.

Graphite Dave

Dave Orton
The overhang comment was in response to the flman claiming it as an advantage.
Neither is a vehicle without 4wd, LS rear or no.
I live in totally different circumstances than you or the flman......So it is good we all have choices.
Fortunately we all have choices and can select the vehicle that best fits our requirements. I would not want a Transit with the huge overhang.

flman

The overhang gives you more traction weight on the rear axle, as well as a much shorter turning radius than the 170 Sprinter. So yeah, that is 2 advantages.

Right, everyone has different needs, and mine fill mine the best.

surlyoldbill

Everything is a compromise. When looking at these vans you have a "No Go" list and a "Must Have" list concerning options and features. Everything else is just fluff.

My No Go list eliminated the Sprinter (diesel) and the Ram Master (ground clearance). Let's see...what's left........

pfflyer

I like that evaluation. I found that to be the case for me as well. I had to rent a Transit when my Sprinter was in the shop one of the tree or four times in two weeks to sort out __ starts left issue and found it to be cramped. According to the hour meter in the Sprinter I average 4 hours driving a day when I am not in the office and my knee just couldn't take that on a regular basis. I still haven't tried the other competition yet.

surlyoldbill

It will be interesting to see the Hyundai in person when it becomes available in the USA.

I also found the Sprinter (T1N) seating to be more accommodating than in my Transit, but I have the base manual adjust seats. In the Sprinter you could adjust the up/down of the front and back of the lower seat for different angles, the Transit is the basic forward/backward and reclining back. The Transit is fine, I've done a few 600+ mile days, but it could be better.

D

Deleted member 50714

Good thing they don't make one! :laughing:

Not that it would stop anyone from trying to drive their on-road AWD Sprinter on it...I've seen station wagons and old VW buses in places where I have no idea how they got there if they weren't brought by a helicopter.
My 68 Automatic type-1 could climb hills and wade through mud like no other vehicle. And, being an invincible teenager, you can bet your sphincter, I took it places only Manginas dare to go.

4wheeldog

2018 144" Tall Revel
I like that evaluation. I found that to be the case for me as well. I had to rent a Transit when my Sprinter was in the shop one of the tree or four times in two weeks to sort out __ starts left issue and found it to be cramped. According to the hour meter in the Sprinter I average 4 hours driving a day when I am not in the office and my knee just couldn't take that on a regular basis. I still haven't tried the other competition yet.
The Dodge/Fiat seating position was actually impossible for me.
I did not even test drive. The gear selector was wedged into my knee, with the seat all the way back.....Which put the steering wheel out of comfortable range.
You would have to be built.......Oddly......for it to work well.
When I say the steering wheel was out of comfortable reach, be advised that my shirts have 37" sleeves.

surlyoldbill

My 68 Automatic type-1 could climb hills and wade through mud like no other vehicle. And, being an invincible teenager, you can bet your sphincter, I took it places only Manginas dare to go.
Same for my 74 Fiat 4-door 128 sedan. Frequently just turned off the road and went through the forest (on purpose). I doubt it weighed 1500lbs, so that helped. Also a monster on snow and ice, with the fwd.

Vanzer Pagen

Right, the NOx sensor connections get corroded just from driving on wet road, so all in all 4WD Sprinter, just more status on a glorified maul assault vehicle.
Funny, can't even spell after 11+K posts in 9 years... that's true cred!

FWIW, I have a '16 2500 4x4 and I've had it in some great places, including Coyote Flats, a popular 4wd playground west of Bishop. When camping at 10,600' we had several Rovers, FJ's and Jeeps come by for the view and comment on how amazing it was to see a "van up here". Same thing has happened several times above Sonoita, in the Whites, on the Muggy rim, etc., etc. Plenty of stream crossing, rocks, ruts, desert pin striping and several scrapes, mostly on the skid plate.
Yes, the 4wd in the Sprinter is the 4Matic system, with a low range, so yes, it essentially has THREE open difs if you include the transfer case. Most "true" 4wd's come from the factory with 2 open difs: front and rear axles, with the t-case being "locked", thereby giving the effect of a 50/50 f/r power split. Most people can get those about anywhere as it's a no brainer. I know, I've owned 7 Jeeps. It does take more talent and different skills to get the Sprinter to go, but we get there!
But I didn't buy the Sprinter to go "wheelin' " or rock crawling or play army in. I got it to explore places in this country I coudn't get to in a regular 2wd van, or my Outback. Hopefully I'll get to see some more before it gets sold off potus ;)
Oh, and it works quite nicely on pavement in inclement weather; I could never put any of my Jeeps in 4wd unless there was over an inch of snow or water on the road.

Not trying to lambast anyone, and hopefully not approaching that rule of "if you have to explain..."
But hey, FL, inquiring minds wanna know; 11 THOUSAND posts???? JFCOAS! Do you have one of those chairs that I saw in the movie "Idiocracy"? Did you get it at Costco?
:wtf:

flman

FWIW, I have a '16 2500 4x4 and I've had it in some great places, including Coyote Flats, a popular 4wd playground west of Bishop. When camping at 10,600' we had several Rovers, FJ's and Jeeps come by for the view and comment on how amazing it was to see a "van up here". Same thing has happened several times above Sonoita, in the Whites, on the Muggy rim, etc., etc. Plenty of stream crossing, rocks, ruts, desert pin striping and several scrapes, mostly on the skid plate.
Yes, the 4wd in the Sprinter is the 4Matic system, with a low range, so yes, it essentially has THREE open difs if you include the transfer case. Most "true" 4wd's come from the factory with 2 open difs: front and rear axles, with the t-case being "locked", thereby giving the effect of a 50/50 f/r power split. Most people can get those about anywhere as it's a no brainer. I know, I've owned 7 Jeeps. It does take more talent and different skills to get the Sprinter to go, but we get there!
But I didn't buy the Sprinter to go "wheelin' " or rock crawling or play army in. I got it to explore places in this country I coudn't get to in a regular 2wd van, or my Outback. Hopefully I'll get to see some more before it gets sold off potus ;)
Oh, and it works quite nicely on pavement in inclement weather; I could never put any of my Jeeps in 4wd unless there was over an inch of snow or water on the road.

Not trying to lambast anyone, and hopefully not approaching that rule of "if you have to explain..."
But hey, FL, inquiring minds wanna know; 11 THOUSAND posts???? JFCOAS! Do you have one of those chairs that I saw in the movie "Idiocracy"? Did you get it at Costco?
Well douche nozzle, obviously you coudn't spell either. :smilewink: Sure was a bad time to F up your spelling. :lol:

Do you have a problem with other peoples opinion, this is after all a Hyundai thread, not a thread about your ego. :cry:

No chairs were left, they told me a guy with a 4x4 Sprinter Mall assault vehicle bought out the entire lot for his inbred family. :bounce:

D

Deleted member 50714

Well, thank you kind sir for sharing your story about destroying fragile desert echo systems. Now, kindly have a seat while I grade your monologue. Seven Jeeps? Curious, how tall are you? My observations seem to affirm short people have an affinity for large, four-wheel-vehicles.

FWIW, I have a '16 2500 4x4 and I've had it in some great places, including Coyote Flats, a popular 4wd playground west of Bishop. When camping at 10,600' (,)we had several Rovers, FJ's and Jeeps come by for the view and comment on how amazing it was to see a "van up here".(period enclosed within quotes) Same thing has happened several times above Sonoita, in the Whites, on the Muggy rim, etc.,(no . Just ,) etc. Plenty of stream crossing,(no ,) rocks, ruts, desert pin striping and several scrapes, mostly on the skid plate.
Yes, the 4wd in the Sprinter is the 4Matic system, with a low range, so yes, it essentially has THREE open difs if you include the transfer case. Most "true"(cap "T") 4wd's come from the factory with 2 open difs:(colon?) front and rear axles, with the t-case ("T" capitalized)being "locked",(, comma within " " marks) thereby giving the effect of a 50/50 f/r power split. Most people can get those about anywhere as it's a no brainer. I know, I've owned 7 Jeeps. It does take more talent and different skills to get the Sprinter to go, (no , needed) but we get there!
But(,) I didn't buy the Sprinter to go "wheelin' " or rock crawling or play army in. I got it to explore places in this country I coudn't get to in a regular 2wd van, (no , needed)or my Outback. Hopefully(,) I'll get to see some more before it gets sold off potus (all caps) ;) (What gets "Sold-off?" Always define acronyms).

Not trying to lambast anyone,( no ,) and hopefully not approaching that rule of "if you have to explain..."
But hey, FL, inquiring minds wanna know; 11 THOUSAND posts???? JFCOAS!(?)Do you have one of those chairs that( verbose) I saw in the movie "Idiocracy"? Did you get it at Costco?
Don't throw stones if you live in a glasshouse.

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

flman

Funny thing is he called me on spelling, and the real problem was my tablet used the word maul instead of mall. So not really a spelling error.

D

Deleted member 50714

Funny thing is he called me on spelling, and the real problem was my tablet used the word maul instead of mall. So not really a spelling error.
I knew, you knew and he probably knew it. And, if he didn't, I recommend he spend less time destroying fragile desert eco-system flora and more time studying.

Top Bottom