MB Service Choices?...

MeRob

Brought my 24 ft 2011 Sprinter Chassis in for a 30,000 Kms (pre-RV Trip ) Service. I asked for an oil and filter change and DEF top-up and signed the form for a "B" Service.

The Bill was $1100.
(even in Canadian ... that's more money than a Big Meal at Burger King)

To be fair...they did an excellent job. They changed every filter, oiled every fitting, and checked every tire and every light, they could find. It appeared to be a 'Complete' and Detailed check-up and "B" Service.

It's simply the price of this kind of convenience...and sometimes, it's worth it.

However, it might be a good idea to discuss exactly what you want / require to be included in your Sprinter Service with your MB 'Service Advisor' ...before you sign the Form. Rob

Boxster1971

2023 Sprinter 2500 144wb AWD
Brought my 24 ft 2011 Sprinter Chassis in for a 30,000 Kms (pre-RV Trip ) Service. I asked for an oil and filter change and DEF top-up and signed the form for a "B" Service.

The Bill was $1100.

To be fair...they did an excellent job. They changed every filter, oiled every fitting, and checked every tire and every light, they could find. It appeared to be a 'Complete' and Detailed check-up and "B" Service.

It's simply the price of this kind of convenience...and sometimes, it's worth it.

However, it might be a good idea to discuss exactly what you want / require to be included in your Sprinter Service with your MB 'Service Advisor' ...before you sign the Form. Rob
At that mileage you probably needed a B service, especially on a 2011 model. It is always a good idea to consider what the vehicle needs.

MeRob

Boxer is right. ...I was just considering that so far, the cost of my two MB Service visits to travel 20,000 miles is $1700. That's over $10 a mile ! PLUS fuel and DEF of course. sometimes I wonder ... who, not what... is getting 'serviced'.

bcislander

'07 Mercedes-badged Dodge
Boxer is right. ...I was just considering that so far, the cost of my two MB Service visits to travel 20,000 miles is $1700. That's over $10 a mile ! PLUS fuel and DEF of course. sometimes I wonder ... who, not what... is getting 'serviced'.
Hmmm.... I get 8.5 cents (not $) per mile.

Math not a strong part of your skill set? :smilewink:

A little more accurate conversion of 30,000km results in 18,750mi and gives a cost of 9.1 cents/mi.

MeRob

Hay duke is correct on that day...ha! I must have been mesmerized by all the Mercedes Decorations in the dealership...and those warm and fancy words "We will certainly take care of everything sir!" Simply put, I was out of practice dealing with a MB Service Advisor...I had forgotten where I was. Rob

pfflyer

The Bill was $1100.

Did they do a brake fluid flush or any other regular maintenance not covered in a standard B service?

sailquik

The dealer probably filled out the "B" service check sheet in the maintenance booklet your glove box.
That will tell you everything they inspect/check/change.
Roger

pfflyer

The dealer probably filled out the "B" service check sheet in the maintenance booklet your glove box.
That will tell you everything they inspect/check/change.
Roger
Not necessarily. I leave mine out in plain view and still have to go back and get the service advisor to either stamp it or get it stamped.

After the first oil change at nearly $400 CDN, I decided to do it myself. Filter is $10 USD . Oil is about $120 from Dowler-Karn locally. With each oil change, I'm also doing a thorough EGR valve cleaning.

MeRob

The 'moral' of my Servicing Story is simple... " Be absolutely clear about what you expect your Vehicle Service is to include... before you sign the Service Order."
In fact, my Sprinter had far less than 8,000 kms on it since it's last Service when I brought it there. We were heading up North on an extended RV trip, so I brought it in for a fluids and filter(s) change. The "B" Service was suggested by my Service Advisor.... and I, not knowing exactly what a "B" Service was... signed the work order.
My fault entirely. Ha!

btw....anyone else get a pre-survey email from their MB service department advisor practically begging for a 10 out of 10 rating for your service experience ? The lady wrote that her salary was dependent upon my score and positive comments. I barely even made it home and this email was already in my Inbox !!!

OrioN

2008 2500 170" EXT
btw....anyone else get a pre-survey email from their MB service department advisor practically begging for a 10 out of 10 rating for your service experience ? The lady wrote that her salary was dependent upon my score and positive comments. I barely even made it home and this email was already in my Inbox !!!
Do you have a copy of this email to post and share? I'd like to see the actual verbiage....

D

Deleted member 50714

According to Mercedes-Benz document V-2374-906-15 D, and dated 12 /9/15, titled SERVICE SHEET for Mercedes-Benz maintenance system (USA), A "B"service consists of 39 maintenance/Service related items. 21 are described as checks, six as inspections and two are lubricant changes related to the engine and transmission. I do not know the difference between an "inspection" and a "check?"

All of the inspections and checks are relatively simple to perform and the Service Sheet references documents providing guidelines/instructions.

Changing the engine crank case oil is not much different than most cars. The most difficult and irritating part for me is getting accurate dipstick readings.

Changing the transmission fluid is a different story. I have never seen a more funky or quirky way of determining fluid level then Mercedes-Benz.

Caveat emptor fellow forum members!

Not all Service department personnel are diligent and conscientious performing their job.

Dealership service departments do not necessarily equate to competent, knowledgeable and quality service.

Be an informed/knowledgeable consumer! Nothing better than asking service writers technical questions and see their eyes glaze over.

Bob

Correction: 6 possible fluid changes/checks; crank case, transmission, brake, coolant, windshield and rear axle.

Whoops forgot DEF

Last edited by a moderator:
How do you do clean your EGR valve? Is this the same as cleaning the particle filter?
youtube it.

I used Carburetor Cleaner and a tooth brush. Some people save an old electric toothbrush for various shop cleaning duties.

At over $1000 to replace it, I hope that this regular maintenance of the EGR valve will save it and keep the Sprinter running 100% in the long run. Once it starts to go gummy, our Sprinter started to hiccup and went into limp mode on inclines.

Top Bottom