2019 4wd Break In Period - What to think about

paintrain

I am picking up my 2019 4wd 144 high roof this Friday.

It has 20 miles on it.

I am driving it from Providence Rhode Island to the Denver, Colorado metro area.

What would you all advise as how to break it in? Are we ok with stock fluids just before a trip like this?

Thank!

InspiredVan

Always been in the school of 'run em hard' right out of the gate and make sure to vary the speed a bit and minimize Cruise Control 1st 1000 miles or so. These engines like to be worked. The worst thing modern diesels can be subjected to is being babied and driven short distances. Enjoy the journey!

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

sanomechanic

Like most vehicles it is good to use a wide range of RPM's. and shifting to get the juices flowing so to speak. I would avoid high revs in the beginning and slowly introduce them after a few hundred miles. Just back out of it when you do wind it up. Engines these days do not require seating the rings in and are pretty much ready to rock and roll out of the gate. Just want to avoid prolonged hard running for any long duration, period.

colddude

I too recently picked up my new 2019 170 4x4 from Orange County, CA and drove it back to Seattle, WA. I avoided freeways where possible and didn't use cruise control, it wasn't easy to vary speed and RPM but took my time over 3 days/1200 miles and many scenic routes :).

After the first day or so on some stretches I'd used the cruise but changing speed by the thumb button on the steering wheel (+/- 1 mph, from 10/15 mph under the speed limit to over 5mph beyond the limits)...likely to the annoyance of folks behind me...anyway all was fine made it home with many shopping stops for conversion gears along the way.

Here is the break-in notes from the 2019 Sprinter Manual...safe trip!

Breaking-in notes

Protect the engine during the first 1,000 miles
(1,500 km) by:

- driving at varying road and engine speeds.
- shifting to the next gear up when or before the tachometer needle is 2/3 of the way to the
red area.
- avoiding stress on the vehicle such as driving at full throttle.
- not shifting manually to a lower gear to brake.
- after 1,000 miles (1,500 km), gradually increasing the engine speed and accelerate the vehicle up to full speed.
- vehicles with automatic transmission: not depressing the accelerator pedal beyond the pressure point (kickdown).

This also applies if the engine or parts of the drivetrain have been replaced.

Also observe the following breaking-in notes:

- The sensors of the ESP® driving safety system adjust automatically while a certain distance is being driven after the vehicle has been delivered or after repairs. Full system effectiveness is not reached until the end of this teach-in process.
- New or exchanged brakepads, brake discs and tires only provide optimal braking and bonding after several hundred kilometers. Until then, compensate for the reduced braking effect by applying greater pressure to the brake pedal.

mdbrown

I am picking up my 2019 4wd 144 high roof this Friday.

It has 20 miles on it.

I am driving it from Providence Rhode Island to the Denver, Colorado metro area.

What would you all advise as how to break it in? Are we ok with stock fluids just before a trip like this?

Thank!
You get it at Viti? I recently bought mine there, but had it shipped to California, as I didn't really want to take a week off for the drive and couldn't imagine not hitting the freeway and setting cruise for the next 3000 miles!

drbutton

Blasted my new 2019 Sprinter 4x4 over icy roads from Westminster to Southern Colorado last night - 34 miles on it. Used I-25 most of the way - huge messy wreck on Monument hill reminded me of why I bought this and not a "cute ute" sort of thing. The Sprinter performed extremely well, though lots of gearshifts and conditions. The dealer did not specify anything except that "it likes to be driven hard". My kind of car!

aviatordoc

Ya, I just brought mine home tonight in torrid rain,fog and s*it. I did baby it a tad, did not exceed 3 K RPM and 75 MPH. Did extremely well.

Top Bottom