Sprinter-Forum    

Go Back   Sprinter-Forum > VS30 Sprinters > VS30 Write-Ups

VS30 Write-Ups Help other VS30 owners by posting your experience working on your Sprinter.

Old 09-18-2019, 08:25 PM   #31
oldblue

Default Re: Clark 2.0 - 2019 2WD Iridium Silver 144"

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyMAC View Post
Wheels and Tires!

So 17x7.5 is was...paired with BFG KO2 255/70 R17. The fit is perfect and the set looks really good. I could have gone with a bigger tire by using Agile Off Roads mud flap kit ($349) but I don't think larger tires would have looked as good on the 2WD.
So this size fits with no lift or other modification? I have the same van and am wondering what size tire can be put on with no additional mods. For me it would be more about aesthetics than because of a real need. I wish it was different, but the reality is that I will be on dirt or in snow at most a few times a year. The rest of the time is just a daily driver. So, I can't justify spending too much, but the off road tires and rims really do improve the look.
oldblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 08:38 PM   #32
AndyMAC

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldblue View Post
So this size fits with no lift or other modification? I have the same van and am wondering what size tire can be put on with no additional mods. For me it would be more about aesthetics than because of a real need. I wish it was different, but the reality is that I will be on dirt or in snow at most a few times a year. The rest of the time is just a daily driver. So, I can't justify spending too much, but the off road tires and rims really do improve the look.
Yes! Fits with zero modification. I also haven't noticed a difference in MPG and I think it drives a little better with the softer tire.
AndyMAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 05:12 AM   #33
oldblue

Thanks. Did you change the spare too? If so, does it fit in the underneath cage?
oldblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 06:57 AM   #34
AndyMAC

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldblue View Post
Thanks. Did you change the spare too? If so, does it fit in the underneath cage?

I have not changed the spare yet. Iím waiting on Owl vans to release the rear tire carrier for the 2019. They said probably by the end of October. In the event of a flat I do have the regular steel spare and full set of lugs, because the lugs for the Method wheels will not fit the steel spare. I do not think the Method wheel with that size tire would fit in the underneath cage without some sort of modification though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-24-2019, 05:16 PM   #35
AndyMAC

Fresh Water!

In Clark 1.0 we went with a very simple "5 gallon" jug water system that worked flawlessly. In Clark 2.0 we would have gone with the exact same set up, but we didn't have the room under the sink for the jugs because of the isotherm fridge. Clark 1.0 had the room for a Dometic CFX Fridge stored in a bench seat so the space under the sink was free, but 2.0 doesn't have that option so we went with an Isotherm Cruise 65 under the sink. I have enjoyed the challenges of trying something new and the plumbing system would not disappoint.

I wanted to keep all water in the van so that I did not have to worry about anything freezing and so I could monitor the entire system. I chose to use a custom 13 gallon fresh water tank that fit perfectly between the wheel wheel and the framing of the bench seat. The tank is very well made and probably used in thousands of van conversion across the country. Clark 1.0 had two 5 Gal LCI water cans for fresh water, so I knew that bumping that up to 13 was going to provide us plenty of water for our usage.

The family that bought Clark 1.0 asked (at some point throughout the buying process) if it would be possible to add an outside faucet to wash off dirty shoes or dogs and of course you can add it to Clark 1.0 (pretty easily in fact) so I decided to go ahead and add an exterior spray nozzle to 2.0.

The tank is located on the drivers side with the pump mounted to the wall with supply hoses going to the front for the kitchen and to the back for the rear shower. Since the kitchen will be removable, I installed a shut off valve to the kitchen supply so I can detach the faucet without too much trouble.

The rear shower is installed in the back of the bench along with the fill valve. Which brings me to the challenging part. This is a gravity fill and if anybody out there has put a tank where I have you know that gravity fill usually means the inlet HAS to be above the inlet on the tank, otherwise...well you get the idea (driving would force the water out of the tank via the inlet) . So instead of giving up and just putting a elbow with a cap on the tank which would require filling the tank after lifting the bench seat, etc. I decided to seek out a one way valve that would allow me to fill the tank with a hose and not worry about the water spilling out of the tank while driving. I found the one way valve at Home Depot and happy to say that is is working beautifully. I actually use a 1/2' filler tube connected to my fresh water hose that I feed up through the valve and into the tank to fill to minimize spilling any water.

I have done lots of driving with water in the tank and have't seen a single drop of water coming out of the fill hose.

The rear shower is awesome! I even got a "that's a really cool idea, Dad" from my teenagers...and that is a win!

So far so good on the water system...easy to maintain, worry free and no leaks!

I will go over our gray water solution in another post. Having the kitchen be removable has presented yet another challenge...but the solution (in my opinion) works beautifully.

Cheers!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Water 1.JPG (144.4 KB, 182 views)
File Type: jpg Water 2.JPG (92.5 KB, 167 views)
File Type: jpg Water 3.JPG (135.6 KB, 168 views)
File Type: jpg Water 4.JPG (118.9 KB, 176 views)
The Following User Says Thank You to AndyMAC For This Useful Post:
Gski (09-24-2019)
Old 10-15-2019, 04:55 PM   #36
AndyMAC

Kitchen!

Whether it be a weekend trip to the coast, hiking trip to the mountains or just an overnight Walmart boondocking excursion, one thing is for sure...having running water in your van and a place to brush your teeth and cook a meal is paramount!

Clark 2.0 will not be lived in full time, but that doesn't mean you can't focus on making the most of the 144's room for a kitchen. The van kitchen doesn't have to be big, functionality is king when you are working with limited room. After planning for the convertible dinette, I knew I had about 22" from the back of the bench seat to the edge of the dinette. Plenty of room (if you choose the right components). Clark 1.0 had a 48" galley, so we went with a really nice 15" Kohler stainless steel deep sink, we had to change directions in Clark 2.0 so we could utilize the sink area as counter space as well. Enter the Dometic RV sink (not cheap) but with the tempered glass lid, it makes for the perfect counter space for food prep. I get it, some are saying how do you meal prep without the sink...we are not in a house with a huge kitchen and disposal. We cook most of our inside meals with the Instant Pot, or end up making sandwiches for the kids. A majority of our cooking was outside Clark 1.0, even when we stopped at a rest area we pulled the camp stove out and found a picnic table.

So 22" wide and 36" tall gave me enough room for the Dometic sink, a 3" drawer, vent for the fridge and our fridge. We went with the Isotherm Cruise Elegance 65. So far we love it. We used the Dometic CFX28 in Clark 1.0, which we also loved, but logistically could not fit it in this van due to the cooler style opening of the CFX.

I hand built the cabinet out of 1/2" birch plywood and poplar for all the fronts and drawer. The counter is 1.5" birch butcher block finished with 5 coats of Waterlox Sealer/Finisher. Since we wanted to make the kitchen removable (more on that later) it is attached to the van via L track and tripe lug stud fittings. I attached L track to the van with plus nuts and then used Aluminum bar stock as the mounting surface in the cabinet. I used 2" bolts (3/8 x 24) to bolt directly to the L track fittings. Trust me...with 4 attachment points that kitchen is solid. However with the removal of the 4 bolts and disconnecting the sink plumbing and the 4 screws holding in the fridge (so about 15 minutes) the kitchen can be completely removed from the van. We brought the theme of the bronze Method wheels inside and used bronze for an accent color.

Why removable? Great question...the 2019 Crew Van bench seat design was completely changed. Mercedes made the seat easier to remove by having tracks that the bench seat slides back on before you can remove it. Actually to get it out, the very first movement after you unlock it is to rock it back then pull it up onto the tracks. For any upfitter using a Crew van you have to consider the fact that you need 2 feet behind the seat to remove it. I have no idea why they designed it this way, but they did, so it presented a challenge. Now, the seat may never have to be removed, however, if something needs to be worked on down the road, or your kid takes a sharp object and decides to "draw" on the seat thus resulting in the seat being reupholstered, it will need to come out. Hence...removable kitchen.

The drawer (also hand built) was modified to accommodate the sink drain. I used the common Camco RV sink drain because I like the built in P trap design to keep the gray water tank smell down. It has soft closing slides with an inset drawer front. It stays shut just fine while driving so we used a low profile cabinet pull on the top of the drawer (same cabinet pulls as top cabinets)

Fridge airflow...I wanted to make sure the Isotherm had plenty of airflow so I drilled holes in the back of the cabinet floor and did not put a back on the cabinet at all. It will have plenty of room to breathe for sure.

Dometic sink. We went with the square-ish Dometic sink. I know some people like the round one and it does look cool in IG pics, but for me if you have a couple of kids brushing their teeth at the sink you need the extra room the square sink provides. We also went with a Dometic folding faucet. Both are not cheap by any stretch of the imagination. I was actually shocked at how expensive Dometic kitchen products were. But the quality is there, so I can't really complain.

Overall it came out really nice and solid. I used cabinet grade low VOC paint for a durable long lasting finish.

Cheers!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Kitchen 1.JPG (116.7 KB, 120 views)
File Type: jpg Kitchen 2.JPG (117.0 KB, 118 views)
File Type: jpg Kitchen 3.JPG (107.2 KB, 109 views)
File Type: jpg Kitchen 4.JPG (78.2 KB, 113 views)
File Type: jpg Kitchen 5.JPG (135.6 KB, 118 views)

Last edited by AndyMAC; 10-16-2019 at 04:15 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AndyMAC For This Useful Post:
Fanto (10-16-2019), Gski (10-16-2019)
Old 10-18-2019, 08:10 PM   #37
Sctn

Thank bench seat info is gold, thank you
Sctn is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sctn For This Useful Post:
AndyMAC (10-18-2019)
Old 10-18-2019, 08:41 PM   #38
90d
2006 2500 158"WB SHC

Thank you for the wealth of information you have shared here on your build process.

I'm converting a 158" T1N myself, but am so glad I dipped into the VS30 subforum to see what my well-to-do neighbors are up to! Seriously such an immense help. You are very skilled.

I have a floor in and standalone solar setup running. Feel like I found this thread at the perfect time. Just contacted Hein this morning regarding thinsulate and was doing research on planning all my wire runs for future lights/appliances.

Last edited by 90d; 10-18-2019 at 08:45 PM.
90d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 04:37 AM   #39
AndyMAC

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90d View Post
Thank you for the wealth of information you have shared here on your build process.

I'm converting a 158" T1N myself, but am so glad I dipped into the VS30 subforum to see what my well-to-do neighbors are up to! Seriously such an immense help. You are very skilled.

I have a floor in and standalone solar setup running. Feel like I found this thread at the perfect time. Just contacted Hein this morning regarding thinsulate and was doing research on planning all my wire runs for future lights/appliances.
You are very welcome! I have used this forum so much! My first build was very intimidating and while the second van hasn't been any less stressful, haha, I am much more confident in making decisions. Feel free to reach out via PM with any questions, and check out out IG for up to date pics. @cruising.in.clark

Good luck on the buiild!