Sprinter Westfalia #248, tallest cargo van in North America

I finally quit dancing around the edges and jumped all in to making my Westfalia my tiny house on wheels - I gutted it down to the "studs".

I will start a build thread soon, probably in the Conversions Write Up Forum. Currently I am working on closing up all of the original holes in the walls, floor and roof that I will no longer be using.

For now, until I start refitting out the interior, I am the proud owner of what with an interior height of 7'-10" is probably the tallest cargo van in North America. Anybody need help moving ?

The fresh and grey water tanks are not simple shapes. I removed and threw out the black water tank years ago, so no picture of that tank.

It was interesting to do the tear out, as I saw many assemblies that I could only previously speculate about.

The interior partitions and cabinetry were constructed out of some very heavy materials. Too heavy in my opinion.

Last edited:

OldWest

2004 T1N Westfalia
Thanks for photos. Great to see how things fit together. Please post more if you have them.

The parts are valuable.

Hopefully, you can find someone who will use them for possible duplication. The fresh water tank is irreplaceable.

Kiltym

Perhaps a silly question, but why are you doing this?

Ripping apart a Westy seems like a poor investment..... But perhaps I am misunderstanding your intentions.

Wasaabi

Sprinter Westfalia #133
Are you going to sell the parts separately? For example, I would love to buy the bathroom sink if it is in good shape.

Riptide

Robert, I'm looking forward to see what you come up with for your Westy. With your background in architecture and carpentry, I suspect it's really going to be special.

Always admired your bravery in creating exactly what you want. The Westy shell is a platform available nowhere else, and should give you options that no other van has.

Last edited:
Kiltym: I started a build thread, link just below, which may start to answer your question. To creatively adapt our environment is what we humans do, especially ones with my background. From strictly a financial perspective, given that I will be doing all of the work myself, the money and time spent adapting my Westfalia relative to purchasing any of the readily available options makes this the obvious better investment for me. In addition, I will own a very unique and rare classic that is becoming a collectors item.

Sprinter Westfalia #248 Refitting

Wasaabi: Pretty much all of the original interior components are for sale. Pickup is highly preferred and will net the purchaser a better price as my time to pack this stuff up and ship it out is going to be very valuable to me in the months ahead as I work on the refitting.

I took the bathroom cabinet out several years ago and installed the faucet holder pictured below to make more space in the bathroom when I installed my composting toilet. The cabinet has been stored in a shop that I own an hour away from where I currently live. I should be going down there in the next few weeks, at which time I will take some pictures for you to see it's condition. How's that sound?

Riptide: Thanks for the encouraging words. I'm really psyched about the design and excited to have started the process. Stop by if you're down this way and have a look.

OldWest: Here are a few more pictures of the deconstruct...

Data plate/info on the Westy AC Charger

The LP tank is pretty small once you remove it, but it's heavy.

Last edited:

Wasaabi

Sprinter Westfalia #133
Sounds good. I am headed down your way in about 4 weeks (right before xmas) so if you are going to the shop before that let me know so we can coordinate. Thanks.

To clarify—I am looking just for the sink. Someone else might need a cabinet and mine is in good shape.

Robert, I admire your courage and ingenuity and will subscribe to your build thread!
Thanks for the kind words grozier....sometimes if feels like more crazy than courage...:crazy:

PS. I replied to your PM about getting you some floor scraps with some of the original floor material in good shape.

Top Bottom