Whati is the best warranty to purchase for engine?

jbkmn

We just purchased a 2011 Pleasure Way Plateau SL and am shopping for a warranty...mostly concerned with engine and dealership repair costs. I checked with Mercedes, cannot purchase on from them. What would you recommend? Is it worth purchasing a warranty and from who? Thanks so much!

smiller

2008 View J (2007 NCV3 3500)
Yes, it's very common for aftermarket extended warranties to omit things such as emissions control systems, which are probably more likely to be the source of problems than anything else. You may be covered by your manufacturer's extended emissions systems warranty, but in that case you don't need the aftermarket.

Also aftermarket warranties tend to be 'inclusionary', meaning that they only cover items specifically mentioned in the policy, and this can provide a lot of wiggle room to deny claims. What you want is an 'exclusionary' policy, meaning everything is covered except specifically stated exclusions. This type of policy will be more expensive however. Lastly, many/most dealers will not bill an aftermarket warranty company directly (because they don't want to hassle with claim denials), rather you will probably have to pay for repairs in full up front and then try to recover reimbursement on your own.

This is not to say that an extended warranty can never be useful, but buyer beware and make sure you understand exactly what you are really buying.

jbkmn

Thanks for the replys. I have looked into a few that seem to be RV related such as Good Sams...but it does not cover much engine...states only 1 hour labor and used parts? :( . Previous owner was hit with a 3875.00 bill after we left a desposit. Now I almost don't even want to own this beautiful RV. The Rv only has 42,000 miles on it and the previous owner replaced the Glow plugs, then a rodent ate the air filter...he had spent over 5,000 in repairs in 1 1/2 years. Can anyone provide a name of a good warranty company? Thanks again...

4wheeldog

2018 144" Tall Revel
I think you have answered your own question.......How much would a company have to charge to pay for repairs, plus make a profit?
Most of them charge plenty, but make their profit by not actually covering repairs.
Good luck.

D

Deleted member 50714

Insurance companies employ schemes only Bernie Madoff would understand.

Poulsbo1

Suggest that you put some $$ away to do any repairs. I have purchased from National and there are SSSSOOO many exclusions. For example on my other vehicle (RAM) with (I believe) a manufacturer's defect of a bad design on passenger side manifold. Less than 40K miles and it is already on 2nd manifold - first covered by factory and second paid out of pocket. Having said that - the Mercedes diesel is rock solid and like one of the others posting on this thread - change the oil and I will add fuel filter -- and you should be good for many miles.

avanti

2022 Ford Transit 3500
This is not to say that an extended warranty can never be useful, but buyer beware and make sure you understand exactly what you are really buying.
Then *I* will say it:
There are almost no circumstances in which third-party extended warranties (which are really service contracts, not warranties) make financial sense. It is mathematically impossible.

OEM warranties SOMETIMES are good deals, when they are available to you. Third party ones: just about never.

Follow @Poulsbo1's advice: Put the money in an interest-bearing account.

smiller

2008 View J (2007 NCV3 3500)
What I meant was... there's at least a minimal potential for an extended warranty to put an owner ahead, and certainly not mathematically impossible on an individual basis. But I completely agree that since this is statistically unlikely (else the warranty company wouldn't be in business) they are not a good investment, more like a spin at roulette than a sound financial decision, and that's assuming that the warranty company even supports you if/when the time comes (they will frequently find any and every excuse not to, which is why repair stations often won't accept them.) And yes, by all means bank the money and then keep it if you don't need the repairs. But alas self-insurance takes discipline that many don't have, so extended warranty companies exist.

Last edited:

Top Bottom