Canuck heading south

Really, is it that bad down there?
Aviator,
New Orleans is a very interesting and fun place, but you do need to be aware.

Years ago we did a tour of a graveyard in the Garden District. One of the first things the "tour guide" pointed out was that we all look like tourists (turns out we think he was a free-lance guy.....but good) . He said even if you think you dressed down to not look like a tourist, it doesn't work, you look like a tourist.

He then proceeded to point around and indicate what streets bordered the areas that would be OK. Even though it was daytime in the tourist area Garden District he added that literally crossing a street can make a difference.

During Mardi Gras we wandered around bar hopping on Bourbon Street. Lots of fun. Great variety of music and entertainment. At the one end we ran into a stationed police officer who told us there was nothing for us further on and to return to the bar area. It did look like the neighborhood beyond was a different environment.

Anyway, I love New Orleans, but yes, it can be that bad. The environment can change very quickly. Stick with the tourist areas unless you're with a local. Hope this does some good. AP/vic

businessgypsy

Curiosity fed the dog
What a great plan! I'm a former New Orleans Garden District resident. Don't let paranoia get in the way of fun (and don't let fun get in the way of safety). Get on a bicycle and see the town. Try Bicycle Michaels on Frenchmen street in Faubourg Marigny if you need to rent. Just stay where you see people - if things look like trouble, they are trouble. The Marigny is a historic neighborhood full of wonderful architecture and great music clubs that most tourists never see. WWOZ 90.7 FM is the non-stop soundtrack for New Orleans music while you're there. Listen on the web and you'll get stoked for your trip!

Since you speak French, be sure to drive through Acadiana when you leave New Orleans and head west. It's worth getting off I-10 and running through this French speaking region of Louisiana. Tale the Henderson - Breaux Bridge exit and angle towards Lake Charles for some of the best food and music you'll ever find. New Orleans has a big dose of Italian, Spanish, Irish and Caribbean influences along with French, but Southwest Louisiana is the home of Les Paroisses Acadiennes.

Looking forward to your report of this great trip!

aeroshots

Also, if you are passing Pensacola, FL, you have to visit the Navy Aviation museum. With a name like "Aviator" i presume you have some interest in aviation. The Navy museum is free and awesome!:2cents:
Enjoy your adventure.

aviator

retired from the airlines with 25000hrs. Still love airplanes. Thank you for the info. What a great bunch of people on this forum. Appreciated.

aviator

leaving the frozen north Christmas day and expecting Charleston SC near the 27th. New Orleans mid Jan. Will stay on the forum.

aviator

Well folks, here we are in New Orleans. Spent two weeks in Charleston and cold, however did the service and changed my turbo resonator with the aluminum one although the old one was still good.
Stayed in Tallahasee and then Pensacola. Visited the great Naval museem and all these great airplane dispays. Something one cannot miss, best I have ever seen. Am now parked in the New Orleans RV center, walking distance to the French Quarter. Will be here for the week.
Haven't been attacked robbed or anything like that. Everyone seems all very nice and helpfull.

pgr

I was just thinking of driving up to Quebec City for a few days from NH as it was 55F to 65f in Florida over Christmas:cheers:

PGR

aeroshots

Aviator,
Glad you got to see the Navy musem. I knew you would like it. Also, good to hear you made it through Florida without issues. Continued blessings for the remainder of your adventure.:thumbup:

Top Bottom