Is B5 Biodiesel available in northern California

kmessinger

Is B5 Biodiesel available in northern California? I know Pacific Pride sells some sort of biodiesel but are there others? I am not sure I would use it - maybe if available - if I used it sometimes, I could get a biodiesel sign for my 08 Sprinter and I would feel more loved :bounce:

Regards,

Keith

jdcaples

Not Suitable w/220v Gen
Pacific Pride is a network of fuel-providers, not a brand product, but a branding of service.

You could open a fuel site and add your site to the Pacific Pride network as a "marketer."

You'd be an independent business with no obligation to sell biodiesel or anything else you didn't feel your local market would support. You'd simply

join the network of independent cardlock fueling sites across the U.S. and Canada.

As for locating a biodiesel retailer, www.biodiesel.org has a search function for retailers of biodiesel.

-Jon

kmessinger

No, I have no desire to go into business - I yam retireddid.:smirk:

I had already checked that link - the closest is a Pacific Pride about 15 miles away. Seems all the biodisel in northern California is only at card lock sites. I guess I will drive over and check it out. The question is do they have B5. They have B99. Can the pumps mix it according to what you want? That would be good.

I'll let you know what I find out in the next couple of days.

Regards,

Keith

jdcaples

Not Suitable w/220v Gen
No, I have no desire to go into business - I yam retireddid.:smirk:

I had already checked that link - the closest is a Pacific Pride about 15 miles away. Seems all the biodisel in northern California is only at card lock sites. I guess I will drive over and check it out. The question is do they have B5. They have B99. Can the pumps mix it according to what you want? That would be good.

I'll let you know what I find out in the next couple of days.

Regards,

Keith
I talked to a fuel pump maint guy a few weeks ago, while he was servicing some equipment I use.

He said that the tech to dial up a mixture of biodiesel & standard #2 "isn't there" and he wasn't aware of anyone working on it.

Keith, come out of retirement and bring a solution to meet the market need. :)

Pacific Pride card holders need to burn a lot of fuel, last I checked - something like 2400 gallons a year - for the privilege of carrying one of their cards that unlock the site. No visa, mastercard etc allowed on Pacific Pride technology (or its competor, CFN), at least in Washington State. I suppose California - or any state for that matter - could mandate access to all fuel pumps by all people with a credit card....

-Jon

windsprinter

Just be aware that biodeisel, until they come up with economical ways of making it from cellulose, are NOT going to win any friends amongst environmentalists. Terrible way to use food!

kmessinger

I found a biodiesel source in Pleasant Hill which I could use when I am in that area but, the price for diesel was $2.39 and the price for biodiesel was $2.39. I don't think they turn their inventory of biodiesel at near the rate the plain #2 turns so with that and the price in mind, I did not try it.

Regards,

Keith

contractor

I go to a local refiner / producer and buy 5 gallons of B100 at a time. I then fill up 1 quart soda bottles and keep two quarts in the cargo area ... I just add it at the fuel station prior to pumping standard fuel (1/2 - 3/4 of a tank). I find this method is very cost effective and convenient.

jdcaples

Not Suitable w/220v Gen
I think the 5 gallons at a time practice is a good one, but I wouldn't let the bio sit around for more than a couple of weeks, w/o environmental conditioning. The fuel is hydrophilic, meaning it likes water. It's also a good solvent, meaning that it will take on debris liberated from the composition of the container, suspend said debris and I think it has the the potential to increase fuel filter fouling.

I received this information from a biodiesel dispenser builder/maint crew. As they were maintaining a commerical facility, flushing the lines, changing the charcoal filter and dessication/moisture collector and the 1 micron filter hidden in the housing of the pump.

A lot of science goes into the care of a supply of biodiesel.

... just my 2 cents...

When I asked about a good way to store it for use on the road, they just said a standard kerosene jerry can would be fine, but after a week or so, it'd be better to consume it all quickly to avoid the environmental contamination.

-Jon

contractor

Good points jon. I do keep it in a five gallon jug and will have to remember to keep that vent closed. In the soda bottles, I fill it close to the top and capped so the moisture won't be an issue there.

Top Bottom