Help me understand advantage of 24v over 12v system

Graphite Dave

Dave Orton
Yes, it does require extensive knowledge to install and configure. I have that knowledge. Just because you are not capable of a project like this, don't assume others are incapable as well. If you want to ask questions, ask them. But don't get all whiney, jealous, and negative when someone decides to take on a project of which you are fearful to take on yourself.
You are incorrect in thinking Midwestdrifter is incapable of doing a similar project. If you have been a visitor on this site for very long, you would know that MWD is one of the most technically qualified members. Best to listen to his comments.

CappyJax

You are incorrect in thinking Midwestdrifter is incapable of doing a similar project. If you have been a visitor on this site for very long, you would know that MWD is one of the most technically qualified members. Best to listen to his comments.
He may be technically qualified in some areas, but his knowledge is certainly lacking in this area. If he were as smart as you think he was, he would defer to those who know more in certain areas and ask questions to educate himself.

Graphite Dave

Dave Orton
He may be technically qualified in some areas, but his knowledge is certainly lacking in this area. If he were as smart as you think he was, he would defer to those who know more in certain areas and ask questions to educate himself.
Sorry to interrupt your aggressive behavior. People on this site generally try to help each other.

CappyJax

Sorry to interrupt your aggressive behavior. People on this site generally try to help each other.
I would say no. Every time I discuss my project, I get some know-it-all poo-pooing it. This isn't the first time.

And standing up for oneself is not aggressive. If you think it is, then that says a lot about you.

john61ct

There may be some with the skillz to safely use EV packs as mobile House banks.

They should either just do it then privately, or lay out the detailed HowTos for mere mortals to be able to.

Implying that regular joes can do it safely is not doing anyone a service.

IMO LFP is the only safe non-lead chemistry for that use case.

autostaretx

Erratic Member
Gentlemen, gentlemen... please cool down.

Cappy? This is the Internet ... everyone assumes you're a dog until proven otherwise.

I didn't ask questions because i didn't have any ... from your comments in (what i'll call) the Tesla thread and here, i assumed you were (at least) moderately competent, and probably would NOT set fire to yourself (maybe). I'm not planning to put a Tesla battery in my Sprinter, so consider me an interested onlooker (with a BSEE, but it's ancient).

What i've been waiting for (and may have simply missed you posting it) is a moderately full system diagram ... only then would i have enough parts in front of me to ask semi-intelligent or struck-by-the-awe-of-it questions. (or to simply express admiration).

There have been other people here in the forum who, in their initial posts, sound like they've got their act together based upon component selection, etc, ... but when they finally post a diagram, we see that they don't know how a shunt works.
I'm a member of a number of non-automotive technical forums, and it's really really hard to gauge the background and real level of expertise of a relatively new poster. When dealing with things that can be dangerous (instead of merely expensive), many of us feel it's FAR better to assume the poster may NOT be fully aware of what they're doing, or they may simply be ignoring (by choice or simply missing the warning in the manuals) some (what other members may feel is an) important item/trait/consequence.

Another recent thread is discussing the how/why(not) of disabling the passenger air bag because the original poster is frightened by the Takata recall. The range of responses (comparing to this thread) is similar/amusing (if you like "ironic").

Yes, you're going to get people saying (flat-out) "don't do it" ... don't take it personally ... in large part (especially if you see me writing such a thing) it's for the benefit of lookie-loo onlookers/lurkers ... who do NOT know that a Tesla module does need to be handled with moderate-to-extreme care. Those are the ones who really really shouldn't do it. Or should at least get the faint idea that they need to learn a lot more about their intended project. (you never know who's going to be given a Tesla module "because it's cool").

--dick (who is rather curious about your entire system)

Last edited:

Top Bottom