170ext land yacht

vannoob

Worked up the courage to slice up some sheathing this weekend. Needed it up so I can mount the strips of angle on each side that will be my bed rails.

Going with 5/16 bolts that will go through angle, ply, furing strip, van rib.

Once installed I'll be working on the bed frame that will be 1x2x1/8th rectangle aluminum standing on tall edge. Not an engineer but hoping this will be stout enough for an edge only supported bed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

vannoob

Bed rails in happy with the strength

Platform up next should be straight forward and not take tooo long.... so I'm sure it'll give me hell

Really getting a sense of what it's going to look like now that I'm not dealing with cardboard and my imagination

vannoob

First real "fabrication" job, as always a learning experience but it went a lot better than I expected to be honest. I know it's only a couple rectangles but never having welded before (besides the month of practice pieces) it was intimidating having to do things straight and square. Happy with the result

vannoob

Bed platform fab is done..ish might end up sheathing in thicker ply. I guess time will tell if I'm happy. It flexes between supports more than I'd like but I think with a mattress on there it should disperse the weight

vannoob

Fab update, bench seat done, water/plumbing cabinet mostly done, overhead cabinets half way

Thanks Royce for the preheat tip!! Consistently getting better beads

royce

Right on Vannoob,
Good to see your progress, both on your van and your welding.
Thanks for posting

Royce

65C02

Those welds look great! For my build, my plan is doing most everything in aluminum as well. Don't have the van yet - but just picked up a spool gun for my Lincoln. Welding aluminum definitely has a learning curve. Found the aluminum really heats up during a weld, you definitely need to speed up. I now have a bunch of interesting looking molten puddles on the concrete. How are you doing the preheat - does that help with blow-outs? How difficult is it to get a straight assembly?

thanks, Mark

vannoob

Those welds look great! For my build, my plan is doing most everything in aluminum as well. Don't have the van yet - but just picked up a spool gun for my Lincoln. Welding aluminum definitely has a learning curve. Found the aluminum really heats up during a weld, you definitely need to speed up. I now have a bunch of interesting looking molten puddles on the concrete. How are you doing the preheat - does that help with blow-outs? How difficult is it to get a straight assembly?

thanks, Mark

Mark,

Thanks a lot it's been a struggle that's for sure and I'm still far from proficient haha I have my days of frying tips and blowing holes still.

Good on you for starting to practice early it'll make a world of difference!

For the preheat I've started using just a regular old map gas torch and get the joint a few hundred degrees, not scalding just really getting it beyond touchable but not turning any colors. (No clue if this is right but it's been helping) it's mostly helped with the starts, my bead has less of a mound at the beginning. It's taken me countless errors in my values on the machine to get what I 'think' is a good weld and even then I really don't know if it's truest correct but stuffs been holding.

Considering I don't have a welding table or really any true flat surface to clamp off. Getting stuff square is really hard haha and really I'm not loosing sweat over it as long as it does what I need.

Something I have noticed is your tacks and beads will mess with your joint. The weld shrinks in the direction of travel if that makes since and I'll use that to my advantage after checking square and noticing something is off after a tack or opposite bead.

-allen

vannoob

Go from 1/8 wall to 1/16th wall. Welds easier, and plenty strong.

Thanks grant, haven't had such luck. Actually the opposite is true in my case. I'm certain that works for you and maybe most but I lack the skill and knowledge of setting up my mig machine properly is my guess. Probably shouldn't be doing this if I lack those skills but too late now

vannoob

hope these help Royce, obviously not the best or only way to get'er mounted up

vannoob

Not done but here is some kitchen progress, I'm certain there was a better way to get a kick toe in there but my hamster ran out of gas. Fridge will be at the end (behind driver seat) middle will be drawers, left is door to sink grey water /storage

vannoob

Possible roof rail mounts.. a little spendy at 8.88 a pop but stainless/solid/ 1/2" bolt. Way strong, something breaks it's gonna be the actual rails out of the roof or the crossbars..

Anyone know how to not break the ends while removing them from the stock rail. Tip of the blade is where another tab was under the channel on the roof.. or do they not come off without breaking

vannoob

Kitchen mock up really fills this thing up.

Mounted the tank, next up water pump and circulation pump

Top Bottom