Best suspension upgrades for westie

OldWest

2004 T1N Westfalia
Sumo Springs Bumper Stops Sale 25% Off until end of year.

SuperSprings is having a 25% OFF Sale (see poster MikeDZ post https://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=71994 )

For our 2004 T1N, SuperSprings gives these options:

https://www.supersprings.com/application-guide/

SSA11 Extra Support Leaf Springs ($427 before discount but Roadmaster Active Suspension may be better option)

401-54 Front Bumper Stops ($147.50 before discount; Amazon is $132.75)

329-47 Rear Bumper Stops ($212.50 before discount; Amazon is $198.52)

With the 25% off coupon code SumoSizeMe and free shipping, buying direct from manufacturer is cheaper than Amazon and other places. But you may also want to factor in shipping times and taxes in your locale.

OldWest

2004 T1N Westfalia
For the technical scientific folks, MikeDZ on the Unity subforum posted a link to an interesting paper/thesis on the effect of crosswinds on buses. Some of the conclusions included moving the center of gravity forward, changing aerodynamics, modifying steering feel, etc..

As some Westy owners have already pointed out, moving the center of gravity forward on the Westy improves handling (e.g., putting loads forward, removing rear air conditioner, etc.???) which matches a conclusion in the paper/thesis.

https://sprinter-source.com/forum/showpost.php?p=748616&postcount=22

Fredb

FWIW... not my experience. Had the helper springs from SprinterStore installed on mine last fall and noticed an immediate and significant improvement. Helped keep the rear higher in the air when I carry my motorcycle on the back as well.

NOTE: Also have the Koni's and Sumo's installed and they both helped as well. The helper springs took it to the next level.

I had the Sprinterstore helperspring installed years ago, felt like it made absolutely no difference. The Roadmaster Active Suspension addition was effective and I found it to be very helpful, remember you’re still driving a “aerodynamic?” Brick through crosswinds and with bigger trucks.

OldWest

2004 T1N Westfalia
In response to my inquiry re whether VanCompass had their new Falcon shocks available for T1N Sprinters (their Sept. 10, 2020, blog press release said available for 1994--current Mercedes Sprinters, but not on website:

--their March 15, 2021, response was no (Added Note: In my inquiry to VanCompass, I said I planned to share their response on this subforum unless they said otherwise.):

Hello,
For the T1N Chassis, we spec Fox shocks. Reservoir shocks do have the option for adjustment, which helps end users dial in exactly the ride preference they want. A shock upgrade will dramatically improve the low speed damping performance and help reduce sway and rocking.

Thank you,

GLEN KNOWLES
Sales Tech

Van Compass LLC
947 A Innovation Way
Post Falls, ID 83854
glen@vancompass.com
https://vancompass.com/

Last edited:

OldWest

2004 T1N Westfalia
Awhile ago, AgileOffRoad did not have their Fox Shocks for T1N Sprinters on their website, but if you called them and said there were T1N owners who had purchased them from Agile, they'd check and confirm.

I wonder if the rear shocks for later Sprinters are actually different in length, bolt sizes, and mounting?

Camp

Sprinter Westfalia
In response to my inquiry re whether VanCompass had their new Falcon shocks available for T1N Sprinters (their Sept. 10, 2020, blog press release said available for 1994--current Mercedes Sprinters, but not on website:

--their March 15, 2021, response was no (Added Note: In my inquiry to VanCompass, I said I planned to share their response on this subforum unless they said otherwise.):

Hello,
For the T1N Chassis, we spec Fox shocks. Reservoir shocks do have the option for adjustment, which helps end users dial in exactly the ride preference they want. A shock upgrade will dramatically improve the low speed damping performance and help reduce sway and rocking.

Thank you,

GLEN KNOWLES
Sales Tech

Van Compass LLC
947 A Innovation Way
Post Falls, ID 83854
glen@vancompass.com
https://vancompass.com/
Found a thread on Air Forums from a few days ago of VanCompass tuned Falcon shocks installed on a T1N Interstate.

Suspension upgrades on a T1N Interstate - Airstream Forums (airforums.com)

The person who installed them wrote that they "emailed a series of pics of the chassis areas to Van Compass, which recommended these over the Fox shocks...". They state the shocks used were for the 2007 and newer Sprinters, and that they may be the first with Falcon shocks on a T1N. Many pictures of the upgrade over on that forum. Can't figure out if VanCompass is just too busy to modify them for the T1N, or if there's some other technical reason why they're not selling them.

In researching rear shocks for big blue, past posts and my mechanic recommended bilstein B6. They are actually made for sprinter vans that been converted to a rv. They are much stronger sprung then the Koni‘s removed. By removing the a/c and new rear shocks the ride is so much better, no more wallowing back and forth on driveway approach, much more stable on hiway when a truck passes or in a side wind.
I got them from euro sports for about $120. Ea, I feel a great improvement for not much Money.B68B4EA6-44CE-4F8B-B3CF-72D0DBCFF1B9.jpegE7F05C99-2E61-4E22-962D-4D8421FF3B69.jpeg

OldWest

2004 T1N Westfalia
Bill,

Can you confirm that your Bilstein B6 do not need bushing inserts like Kiltym needed to do on his B6 with different model number?

Thanks.

OldWest

2004 T1N Westfalia
Followed up on Camp's report re Falcon shocks used by a T1N Airstream Interstate and Glen at VanCompass replied back. I'd think you'd want to make sure the mounting holes are right size (or use bushing inserts) and that there is sufficient clearance/top of shocks fit against bracket.

VanCompass response:

We did sell a set of the Falcon adjustable shocks to a T1N owner. We were not sure if the shocks were going to fit since we no longer own T1N Sprinters here. It appears that they do fit, but I would have installed them with the shock reservoirs facing towards the front of the ground for extra axle clearance.

The Mono tube Falcon shocks should fit as well on the T1N. We are still waiting for our first production run of the 2wd mono tube Falcons. The mono tubes would be a great choice for a Westy that sits at a constant weight.

Thank you,

Good catch old west, I like it that nothing slips by you. the lower bushing on the bilsteins is the same dia. As the upper. The konis had a smaller lower bushing that would need a bushing Insert to allow the original bolt and mounting holes work. I simply drilled out the lower shock mounting holes and got new 14 mm bolts. From the photo you can see the shiny new bolts and nuts. PS these shocks are listed on the euro sport site as heavy duty rv shocks.

OldWest

2004 T1N Westfalia
Just for fun, I searched the NCV3 subforum (Sprinter model 2007+ right after our T1N) using the Koni rear shock number 82-2434, and NCV3 owners were using that same rear shock.

Post 13 and later:

Finally it pays to have an older sprinter. The Joni red adjustable shocks I removed are pretty soft, easy to compress with one hand. I dont know the math but a 11’ long moment arm needs alot of dampening force to slow it down.

Camp

Sprinter Westfalia
Followed up on Camp's report re Falcon shocks used by a T1N Airstream Interstate and Glen at VanCompass replied back. I'd think you'd want to make sure the mounting holes are right size (or use bushing inserts) and that there is sufficient clearance/top of shocks fit against bracket.

VanCompass response:

We did sell a set of the Falcon adjustable shocks to a T1N owner. We were not sure if the shocks were going to fit since we no longer own T1N Sprinters here. It appears that they do fit, but I would have installed them with the shock reservoirs facing towards the front of the ground for extra axle clearance.

The Mono tube Falcon shocks should fit as well on the T1N. We are still waiting for our first production run of the 2wd mono tube Falcons. The mono tubes would be a great choice for a Westy that sits at a constant weight.

Thank you,
Hopefully the part about VanCompass not owning T1Ns anymore doesn’t mean less T1N parts going forward. It was nice to see a company putting a lot of R&D into a chassis that is likely less lucrative than the newer vans. Really appreciate that. Maybe once a customer with a T1N stops by the Idaho HQ with the Falcons they’ll verify fitment and sell them on their T1N products page.

limerence

Finally it pays to have an older sprinter. The Joni red adjustable shocks I removed are pretty soft, easy to compress with one hand. I dont know the math but a 11’ long moment arm needs alot of dampening force to slow it down.
Hi Bill,

How many miles on the reds when you removed them? The reds are adjustable as well so hopefully they werent turned down to a soft setting? When I first got my westy it had the blue/yellow bilsteins on there which seemed fine but everyone raved about the Fox shocks so I replaced them with the ones from AOF. I had installed Sumo Springs in another van I had and intended to do so again but the westy already had the Timbrens installed. Lastly, I installed the Roadmaster Active Suspension. Unfortunately, I don't have a basis of comparison but she rides fine to me so far.

I think the red konis were installed by mini go go maybe 40,000. miles ago. They were adjusted firm but were not. It is hard to express how firm the bilsteins are . I had to use a hydraulic jack to compress them, then slide in the lower bolt before they extended. The B6 part # 24-177702 is not the same as others have reported using and I think they are a firmer”rv” shock. Because the westy is so tall and narrow I think fresh, firm shocks are important to dampen the side to side movement we all have experienced. That rear axel is carrying around 4,500 lbs and much of it pretty high in the air.
I misspoke when I I said I got the at euro sports, it was actually europarts, and they were $109. Ea. I included a crappy screen shot of invoice.
I would encourage any westy owner to start with fresh shocks if they are looking for suspension or handling improvements.
B8A00434-A37A-4214-8F7D-28A2A5BC1C2F.jpeg4C9AB4E2-C1E6-445E-8303-45E59495F94A.jpeg

OldWest

2004 T1N Westfalia
Choosing a shock.

1. Single rear wheel 2500 versus dual rear wheel 3500 usually have different shocks but not always the case. Differences may be in the mounting brackets, the lower bolt size, the width of the shock (fits?), and the weight capacity (3500 weigh more).

2. Weight is a factor. Agile OffRoad and VanCompass will tune the same Fox or Falcon shock based on the actual weight of your Sprinter.

3. Height is apparently a factor as EuroParts-SD.com has different shocks for different height Sprinters of the same year.

Added Correction: Different Bilstein and KYB struts for different heights, not rear shocks.

4. Wheel/Tire Unsprung Weight. So some websites say the heavier the unsprung weight of the wheel and tire, the more the shock absorber works.

5. Towing. Towing requires a stronger? Higher weight rating shock?

Last edited:

OldWest

2004 T1N Westfalia
So query?

If you have a choice of tuning the same shock for the actual weight, should you choose a higher weight class to (a).offset Westy's height and top-heavy rooftop AC, and (b) increase handling in winds at highway speeds?

(Have not asked Agile OffRoad or VanCompass--don't want to pester them too.much.)

Or as the case of the Bilsteins or other shocks, use one capable of handling the 3500 dual rear wheel Sprinter?

Some say the higher weight rating shocks may make for a firmer (uncomfortable) ride while improving handling in winds at highway speeds.

Thoughts?

Wow, I just took the time to read this thread going back to 2015. I think the comment that sums it up is that a westy is essentially a barn on wheels with most aerodynamics working against it . That and the fact that the T1n sprinter is a delivery van with 12 a/c for delivering fish and produce, not a comfortable road cruiser. The rear suspension was designed by Henry Ford so what do we expect. I am impressed by all upgrades that have been developed but claims of cruising at 75 to 80 in crosswinds passing trucks with one finger on the wheel, as Biden would say” come on man”

Top Bottom