Rear differential: Mobil 1 75W90, correct fluid?

Zundfolge

Always learning...
OK, I've read through some of the rear differential threads, checked the BEVO 235.8 list and from what I can tell, the stuff I got is the correct one.

It's mobil 1 synthetic gear lubricant LS 75W90.

Where I'm a little hesitant is that it lists that it has a friction modifier included, and these things are not LS if I've got it right, right? So, do I have the right stuff, and is there any issues with running a friction modified fluid in a 2006 T1N?

Additionally, there's also a 75 or 80W140.
I do carry heavy loads and tow 5K somewhat frequently, is one better than the other for my application?

Thank you.

NelsonSprinter

Former Nelson BC Sprinter
Sorry I can't provide more clarity, as it's hard to nail down:
As far as I know LS are Limited Slip Transmission oils
most synthetic 75W90 are good, 80W90 and 85W90 synthetics also good if meeting minimum spec 235.0

smiller

2008 View J (2007 NCV3 3500)
You can use an LS oil in a standard differential. Mobil 1 75W-90 will probably work OK and many use it, but FWIW the correct MB-specified oil (or at least the one easiest to obtain in the US if you don't want to buy the marked-up stuff at the dealer) is Mobile Delvac 75W-90, which is approved for MB 238.5 (regular auto-store Mobill 1 75W-90 is not.) The Delvac product is readily available at any Camping World.

Last edited:

... The Delvac product is readily available at any Camping World.

It was.

Camping World may not stock the Mobil Delvac anymore.

General information for USA owners. Mobil Delvac is not commonly found in auto parts houses or big box stores.

Our local Camping World has Mobil Delvac™ Synthetic Gear Oil 75W-90 on the shelves. It has MB235.8 on the label which is listed in BEVO as should be used for our Sprinter differentials. Price was 10 bucks and change per quart.
https://www.mobil.com/english-us/co...xmobil-delvac-synthetic-gear-oil-75w90-80w140

Added: I'm not certain that even Camping World stocks the MB approved Mobil Delvac 75w-90 anymore.

Dennis recommends this. :thumbup::thumbup:
Simply go into an autoparts store/Wallyworld and purchase 3 qrt bottles 75/90 Mobil 1 SYNTHETIC gear oil and then it will be like a Tacoma [simple].
https://www.walmart.com/ip/MOBIL-104361-Lubricant-Gear/40905568
Dun Dun and Done
Dennis
The approved Mobil Delvac
https://www.amazon.com/Mobil-Delvac-Gear-75W90-112811/dp/B007WVI5G6

:2cents: vic
There is nothing particularly special about the Sprinter differentials.

My personal opinion.
Any good quality 85 - 90 weight range SYNTHETIC gear lube will give proper service. That said, I don't believe that MB recommends any XX - 140 differential fluid for Sprinters. That may relate to emissions compliance testing protocols and not relate to overall lubrication performance.

vic

Last edited:

smiller

2008 View J (2007 NCV3 3500)
It was.

Camping World may not stock the Mobil Delvac anymore.
Hmm... yeah, I don't see it on their web site anymore (although their search function is such a mess who can be sure.) Too bad, that was the one useful service Camping World had for me ;)

Amazon also has it, although only in the gallon size and all you need is 2 quarts. Share it with a friend.

SneakyAnarchistVanCamper

Reading till my eyesbleed
I got three bottles at advance auto locally for $13 each the other day. I figure if it's good enough for linden to recommend it's good enough for now cause I don't want to pay shipping and I'm tired of tracking down rare oils, it's just a diff. But I do wonder, what makes it specified for limited slip diffs, and does that negatively affect the sprinter?

Edit: Looks like LS oils have up to 400% reduced oxidative stability according to these posters here: https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2281443

Now my question is.. are the friction modifiers reducing wear, or increasing it, if changed before oxidation is a problem?

Last edited:

Top Bottom