Windshield repair story

jbrownmxr

Folks,

2017 144, 45K miles, desert southeast. I’m on my third windshield after rock chips/cracks. The two previously replaced windows both done at MB facilities. I get a call from dealer that they noticed rust on a a pilar. Now, it’s been in the shop three days and they’ve made no move to repair. They state that it happened and one of the other facilities and that they’re not responsible.

Ok, I ask how they’ll find out who was responsible? They’re not sure they say. So, my can sits in limbo. Gosh, I think MB is making a real mistake here from a customer service standpoint. Or is it just me? Service manager says they’re not going to pay for it. I understand to some degree, but what about how this effects the brand? The whole repair is less than $500!

I only tell you, the reader, because I’m curious if I’m out of bounds on this? Am I expecting too much?

Larry M

You’re not out of bounds. This summer we had the original windshield on our 2005 replaced by Safelite in Golden, CO. The molding/gasket wasn’t done right. The manager said it would tighten up with time. Fast forward 2 months and we’re in Anacortes, WA. I called Safelite who sent a tech out. Long story short, I had to go to a shop. They pulled the windshield again, repaired paint scrapes from removing the windshield twice, treated with an acid and primed and painted. No finger pointing, no cost to me and apologized for their screw up. MB should do the same thing! Good luck.

I get a call from dealer that they noticed rust on a a pilar.
Rust on a "pilar"? What's a pilar?

Now, it’s been in the shop three days and they’ve made no move to repair.
They can only repair what you've authorized them to repair.

They state that it happened and one of the other facilities and that they’re not responsible.
When you say that "They state that it happened...", what do you mean by "it"?

And your sentence makes no sense. "... it happened and one of the other facilities..."- what are you trying to say?

So, my can sits in limbo.
Your "can" sits in limbo?

What are you trying to say?

Gosh, I think MB is making a real mistake here from a customer service standpoint. Or is it just me?
Someone giving you something for free is not how good customer service is defined.

Service manager says they’re not going to pay for it.
That's because of "The Three 'B's"- the service manager didn't Build your van, he didn't Buy your van, and he didn't Break your van. At some point, YOU need to be responsible for your own vehicle. The end of the 36,000-mile warranty is as good a point as any.

...but what about how this effects the brand? The whole repair is less than $500!
How, exactly, are you thinking that them not giving you something for free on your out-of-warranty van, is going to effect "the brand"? Are you making some kind of passive-aggressive innuendo that you're going bad-mouth Mercedes-Benz if they don't give you something for free?

I only tell you, the reader, because I’m curious if I’m out of bounds on this? Am I expecting too much?
Communicate more clearly about your "pilar", your "can" and your "... it happened and one of the other facilities...", and we may be able to answer your last question there.

You’re not out of bounds. This summer we had the original windshield on our 2005 replaced by Safelite in Golden, CO. The molding/gasket wasn’t done right. The manager said it would tighten up with time. Fast forward 2 months and we’re in Anacortes, WA. I called Safelite who sent a tech out. Long story short, I had to go to a shop. They pulled the windshield again, repaired paint scrapes from removing the windshield twice, treated with an acid and primed and painted. No finger pointing, no cost to me and apologized for their screw up. MB should do the same thing! Good luck.
I think the OP is trying to say that he's had two windshields replaced at OTHER Mercedes-Benz dealerships, and now he's at a DIFFERENT dealership, a dealership that has done nothing wrong, and the OP is wanting them to give him something for free.

Jbrownmxr, if you're looking for help from these people, it would be best for you not to pi$$ them off- you want them on your side.

There are ways to get help even when you don't deserve it, but I sense that you may have already burned your bridges...

elemental

Wherever you go, there you are.
[...] I’m on my third windshield after rock chips/cracks. The two previously replaced windows both done at MB facilities. I get a call from dealer that they noticed rust on a a pilar. Now, it’s been in the shop three days and they’ve made no move to repair. They state that it happened and one of the other facilities and that they’re not responsible.

Ok, I ask how they’ll find out who was responsible? They’re not sure they say. So, my can sits in limbo. Gosh, I think MB is making a real mistake here from a customer service standpoint. Or is it just me? Service manager says they’re not going to pay for it. I understand to some degree, but what about how this effects the brand? The whole repair is less than $500!

Here is my understanding and expectation for a situation like this:

Mercedes Benz doesn't have facilities in the US; they have dealers. Each dealer, unless part of a group of dealers, is it's own independent business. They have a business relationship with Mercedes-Benz that allows them to use the Mercedes name, sell Mercedes vehicles as "new" vehicles, and to make repairs under Mercedes warranty for which they can be reimbursed by the factory (as long as they make the repair in line with Mercedes requirements).

If you have a repair to a warrantied part done at one dealer, you can probably get the work redone (if necessary) at any other dealer, as long as you are in the factory warranty period, because the second dealer will just do the repair and bill Mercedes as long as they do the work in line with Mercedes requirements. However, Mercedes doesn't provide a warranty for repairs outside of their warranty done by a business that happens to be a Mercedes dealership any more than they would provide a warranty for repairs done by a 3rd party business like LinDen Automotive and Engineering in Colorado (just to pick a name at random).

Your van's windshield replaced was replaced twice before, at two different businesses. Now a third business has been asked to replace the windshield. The third business has noticed damage to the vehicle that the third business apparently believes is outside of the factory warranty, and they have notified you of this pre-existing condition. They cannot reasonably complete the windshield replacement without fixing the pre-existing condition, but they are not financially responsible for the pre-existing condition. Until someone else takes financial responsibility (you, one of the other dealerships, or [under certain conditions perhaps] Mercedes) they can't repair the pre-existing condition unless they want to eat the cost themselves. I suspect that eating the cost themselves would erase most/all of the profit they expect to make from replacing the windshield, so they have no incentive to do so. They also have limited ability to query/accuse one of the other dealerships for fault in their work, as they don't have any relationship to those dealerships except through Mercedes.

At this point it would be probably be difficult for you to prove that one of the previous dealerships did something wrong when they replaced the windshield, although not necessarily impossible. If the second dealership (for example) didn't alert you to the damage before they replaced the windshield, and if now there is damage that could reasonably only have been caused by the second windshield replacement, then you may have a claim against them. A claim against the first dealership would be unlikely, given that the second dealership didn't identify any pre-existing conditions before they replaced the window the second time.

I wonder how much help you can expect from Mercedes on this issue? They don't own the dealerships, but they have a contractual relationship with each dealership that they might be able to leverage to get one of them to take financial responsibility. Alternatively Mercedes could decide as an act of good will to cover the cost themselves despite it not being a warranty item for which they have responsibility (for appearances sake, for example, to uphold the fine Mercedes name).

I'm not a lawyer, and I welcome any corrections to my understanding/expectations that may be forthcoming from those who know more than I.

sleeper bird

Rust on a "pilar"? What's a pilar?

They can only repair what you've authorized them to repair.

When you say that "They state that it happened...", what do you mean by "it"?

And your sentence makes no sense. "... it happened and one of the other facilities..."- what are you trying to say?

Your "can" sits in limbo?

What are you trying to say?

Someone giving you something for free is not how good customer service is defined.

That's because of "The Three 'B's"- the service manager didn't Build your van, he didn't Buy your van, and he didn't Break your van. At some point, YOU need to be responsible for your own vehicle. The end of the 36,000-mile warranty is as good a point as any.

How, exactly, are you thinking that them not giving you something for free on your out-of-warranty van, is going to effect "the brand"? Are you making some kind of passive-aggressive innuendo that you're going bad-mouth Mercedes-Benz if they don't give you something for free?

Communicate more clearly about your "pilar", your "can" and your "... it happened and one of the other facilities...", and we may be able to answer your last question there.
no disrespect But you are kinda acting like this persons parents,do you have children that you can correct and get off of this guy,galls back.If you have no positive input maybe you should zip it up.

SOLBRTs

The irony is that it is unlikely that an MB dealer actually replaces any windshield. This is generally not part of a dealership/service department skill set. Generally dealers outsource the repair to a local glass shop with whom they have a relationship. In theory in such a situation they could still push the customer back to the glass shop but it’s much more difficulty at that point. Dealers can be expensive but with the added expense comes more accountability (in theory).

Here is my understanding and expectation for a situation like this:

Mercedes Benz doesn't have facilities in the US; they have dealers. Each dealer, unless part of a group of dealers, is it's own independent business. They have a business relationship with Mercedes-Benz that allows them to use the Mercedes name, sell Mercedes vehicles as "new" vehicles, and to make repairs under Mercedes warranty for which they can be reimbursed by the factory (as long as they make the repair in line with Mercedes requirements).

If you have a repair to a warrantied part done at one dealer, you can probably get the work redone (if necessary) at any other dealer, as long as you are in the factory warranty period, because the second dealer will just do the repair and bill Mercedes as long as they do the work in line with Mercedes requirements. However, Mercedes doesn't provide a warranty for repairs outside of their warranty done by a business that happens to be a Mercedes dealership any more than they would provide a warranty for repairs done by a 3rd party business like LinDen Automotive and Engineering in Colorado (just to pick a name at random).

Your van's windshield replaced was replaced twice before, at two different businesses. Now a third business has been asked to replace the windshield. The third business has noticed damage to the vehicle that the third business apparently believes is outside of the factory warranty, and they have notified you of this pre-existing condition. They cannot reasonably complete the windshield replacement without fixing the pre-existing condition, but they are not financially responsible for the pre-existing condition. Until someone else takes financial responsibility (you, one of the other dealerships, or [under certain conditions perhaps] Mercedes) they can't repair the pre-existing condition unless they want to eat the cost themselves. I suspect that eating the cost themselves would erase most/all of the profit they expect to make from replacing the windshield, so they have no incentive to do so. They also have limited ability to query/accuse one of the other dealerships for fault in their work, as they don't have any relationship to those dealerships except through Mercedes.

At this point it would be probably be difficult for you to prove that one of the previous dealerships did something wrong when they replaced the windshield, although not necessarily impossible. If the second dealership (for example) didn't alert you to the damage before they replaced the windshield, and if now there is damage that could reasonably only have been caused by the second windshield replacement, then you may have a claim against them. A claim against the first dealership would be unlikely, given that the second dealership didn't identify any pre-existing conditions before they replaced the window the second time.

I wonder how much help you can expect from Mercedes on this issue? They don't own the dealerships, but they have a contractual relationship with each dealership that they might be able to leverage to get one of them to take financial responsibility. Alternatively Mercedes could decide as an act of good will to cover the cost themselves despite it not being a warranty item for which they have responsibility (for appearances sake, for example, to uphold the fine Mercedes name).

I'm not a lawyer, and I welcome any corrections to my understanding/expectations that may be forthcoming from those who know more than I.
Very, very good. :thumbup:

jbrownmxr

Thanks for the input folks. I expect nothing for free, I do expect folks responsible for the damage to come clean I guess. I’ve written an email to the last service manager and as many Mercedes customer service emails I could find. I’m not hopeful.

My current service manager says the quote to repair paint is $6400. Ha. Insane.

Well the responses are good and I suspect on point. Damn this van is costly...

The warranty for corrosion by the way is 3 years unlimited miles. Perhaps this could be pursued.

Last edited:

jbrownmxr

Of course I have insurance. The window is covered no problem. The issue is nobody wants to take credit for causing the rust issue. Everyone is pointing at everyone else.

Your vehicle was damaged- isn't that what we carry insurance for? Let your insurance company pay to fix your vehicle, an let them go after whoever did it. One more deductible, and you're done.

elemental

My current service manager says the quote to repair paint is $6400. Ha. Insane.
That does sound pretty crazy. Perhaps that estimate is to make it look like it had never been touched (ie factory "new"). The cost to make it functionally adequate for the windshield replacement without making it cosmetically perfect might be lower, depending on what is affecting the cost. Sometimes understanding the basis for estimate with a conversation about what imperfections/variations you are willing to accept can significantly lower an estimate.

jbrownmxr

Yeah they’re probably looking to make the area look factory. There’s no visible rust it’s all between a pillar and seal.

Insurance going to cover it...at what cost I don’t know. They’re gonna go after the negligent dealer that did the damage. I hope they have to pay up at some point.

I’ve learned a lot about how the dealers work. It’s been enlightening.

Thanks for the insights and suggestions

72chevy4x4

how do they come to the figure of $6400? Maybe that includes removing the dash and replacing electronics under the effected area, which they may propose has been damaged by dripping water.

jbrownmxr

No electronics were involved. The rust was very superficial. I think it’s a gouge job, but, I’m at their mercy.

In the short term I’m not paying for the fix. My insurance is good and I’ve no deductible. I wanted the “guilty” parties to pay. I suspect my rates will be reflective of my recent activity. My home, rental homes, cars, motorcycles, and umbrella insurance all through one entity. They’ll get it out of me.

The money though significant was not the first reason I was so enraged by this. I was really mad at the poor workmanship. In my business there’s very little room for error. I hold people to a high standards I guess. Had I not had this recent window crack (third) the rust could have been devastating. So I guess that’s the silver lining.

elemental

If the dealers are actually subcontracting the glass replacement, as someone suggested in this thread, then it may actually be a glass installer not the dealer that caused the flaw leading to rust. Dealing with virtual business entities is a real pain in the ass sometimes, especially when things go wrong.

I remember being displeased many years ago when I found out that the Suzuki dealer in the nearby "big city" to whom I had entrusted maintenance on my prized 1978 Suzuki GS750E had subcontracted the work out to a local no-name motorcycle repair shop that was located in my small town. I only found out because I passed my bike on a trailer while it was being transported for the subcontracted service. When it got back and I picked it up it was a) damaged [scratch on the tank], b) had parts missing [a miscellaneous parts tray over the battery under the seat], and c) had a malfunctioning rear brake (that was functioning correctly when I took it in for service). It was an ugly scene; I never took my bike to them for service again.

bswihart

Nice Post.
I have a 2016 AI GT Ext and have had the windshield removed to replace the glass due to a crack and to repair other areas due to rock chips. This is the first time to be replaced. The body shop found extensive corrosion around the frame. Rust, bubbling paint etc. This is disconcerting to say the least. This is a west coast vehicle (So Cal) so it has not been exposed to corrosive environments like salt etc. The body shop indicates that this was not done correctly at the factory. I have contacted MB and they are investigating.

Top Bottom