2008 Air conditioning not working

Leftyt

I have a 2008 Sprinter 2500 that the air conditioning never even starts to get cold. The fan is running fine but the clutch never seems to engage to start the compressor. I put the standard auto parts store AC recharge kit on to try and add Freon but it said the pressure is Hi on the system. I didn’t have adapters to put my gauges on the system to get real pressure readings till I get them does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks Leftyt

lindenengineering

First
The compressor has no clutch!
It has a cush drive yes but all controls are by internal electronic controlled swash plate.
Refrain from using that crap in a can--Its mostly oil and not of the right spec anyway!

The only way to fix it is by scanner and the gauges.
In any case this is mostly a Pro repair job since you have to recover and recycle the refrigerant (which is R134a and not Freon) by a $6500 machine not breach it to the atmosphere.

Without these essential ingredients the repair can only be hit and miss at best and the system is sensitive to charge weight accuracy in any case.
Dennis

Leftyt

What scanner would you suggest? I have access to a recovery machine for all other types of refrigerator at work as well as a friend with a shop that owns a recovery machine. He didn’t seem to interested in working on a Sprinter but said I am welcome to work on it myself if it is only in there 2 days.

lindenengineering

What scanner would you suggest? I have access to a recovery machine for all other types of refrigerator at work as well as a friend with a shop that owns a recovery machine. He didn’t seem to interested in working on a Sprinter but said I am welcome to work on it myself if it is only in there 2 days.
Well I use an MB scanner, an Autologic, Autel Pro or a Snap On with the latest updates like 17/4.
From your brief narrative it sounds like you have a HP shut down.
Dennis

Midwestdrifter

Engineer In Residence
Does the NCV3 6cyl compressor suffer from compressor control valve failures? When that valve fails the compressor defaults to zero displacement? The control valve requires an evac to change, but is fairly painless on other vehicles I have serviced.

If the compressor turns easily by hand (belt off) and has no catches, or bad noises, there is a chance that it is good and the valve is bad.

First you must confirm via scanner that the AC head unit is commanding AC operation. There are many reasons for the head unit to disable AC operation, and only a scanner can tell you for sure.

Emgo

Dennis, my 2008 has a very slow refrigerant leak. It takes about 4 weeks after a recharge before I notice the AC is not working properly. At that rate it probably won't be easy to find. Is there a likely or common place they leak?

Thanks,
Ken

lindenengineering

Charge valves mostly.
The only real way is to use a leak detector.
There are newer ones out there now with the introduction of R1234YA.
It uses sound as a diagnostic medium and catches very small amounts of leakage.
The other tried and true way is to use refrigerant dye in the system and use a black light to trace the source.
Dennis

Midwestdrifter

Engineer In Residence
I am not 100% sure you need bi-directional capability. Being able to read clutch status, blend door position, and temps/pressures should be enough for DIY diagnostics. Can the MD802 perform these tasks on the NCV3 platform?

Yellow518

2008 NCV3/OM642 518cdi
I think you need the iCarsoft MB II not the i980 model shown in your link.

Don't ask me why. When I was looking to buy there is a difference.

Have a look at the spec of both models. I have no problem with my MB II

Leftyt

I think you need the iCarsoft MB II not the i980 model shown in your link.

Don't ask me why. When I was looking to buy there is a difference.

Have a look at the spec of both models. I have no problem with my MB II
That is what I ended up getting,hopefully it helps me get started.

Leftyt

So using the MB II i found a couple codes thatI was wondering about some input on.

Component A9y1 (Refrierant compressor control valve) or the line to the component has a short circuit to positive or open circuit.

Also

Component M16/8 (Blending air flap actuator motor) is blocked or has reversed polarity or a open circuit.

Would anyone have and ideas?

Crew chief

Also have 2008 3500. Air not working right. Gets to 70 deg passenger side, 80 left side. Want to add freon, but can't tell which port to use. Ford uses the smaller one, but this one seems big one will fit. Is Mercedes Same as American? Both sides are warm, so can't tell by that. Or can there be different problem? Thank you

Top Bottom