Proper Motor Oil

rapids39

I have a 2019 LTV Unity that was built last fall and comes with the Mercedes V-6 diesel engine. A friend who knows mechanics well tells me because the vehicle has a particulate filter the engine requires a special kind of Mobil fully synthetic oil. I carry a quart of oil to add on long trips if I need it. I talked with my dealer in Wilsonville, OR today and asked if they had the special motor oil and he told me Mobil 1 fully synthetic 5W 30 was fine. My mechanically minded friend tells me Mobil 1 "Especial or ESP") 5W 30 is the right oil to use in my engine. Anybody know about this? Many thanks.

Denny

D

Deleted member 50714

I have a 2019 LTV Unity that was built last fall and comes with the Mercedes V-6 diesel engine. A friend who knows mechanics well tells me because the vehicle has a particulate filter the engine requires a special kind of Mobil fully synthetic oil. I carry a quart of oil to add on long trips if I need it. I talked with my dealer in Wilsonville, OR today and asked if they had the special motor oil and he told me Mobil 1 fully synthetic 5W 30 was fine. My mechanically minded friend tells me Mobil 1 "Especial or ESP") 5W 30 is the right oil to use in my engine. Anybody know about this? Many thanks.

Denny
Your friend is correct. Mobil 1 ESP (Emission Systems Protection).

Warning about dealerships and service advisers not all are competent and knowledgeable.

I SCR just to become familiar with the owners manual.

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 50714

Suggest Kruse bottle to replenish vehicles DEF reservoir. The half gallon Kruse bottle can be refilled by a larger 2 1/2 gallon jugs. If you spill any DEF in the engine compartment, flush immediately with water.

Attachments

D

Deleted member 50714

Consider purchase of a Scan Gauge II to monitor exhaust temperature upstream (EUP) of DPF. Elevated EUP indicates DPF regeneration. Avoid interrupting regenerations, three consecutive interruptions will trigger a CEL (check engine light). It can take anywhere up to a couple hundred miles of highway driving to extinguish the light. Regenerations occur about every 550 miles.

The picture captures regeneration in progress (1,212° Fahrenheit).

Attachments

Your friend is correct. The Sprinter requires a oil which meets Mercedes-Benz specification MB 229.52. The fine print on the back of the bottle will list which manufacturers specifications the oil is certified to meet. Note there is also an MB 229.5, which completely different and not appropriate - it has to be .52.

Mobil 1 ESP 5w-30 meets the MB spec. There is also plain old Mobil 1 5w-30 for gasoline cars sold everywhere - does not meet the MB spec. So look for “ESP” on the front of the bottle, and then read the back to see if it meets 229.52. Mobil 1 is likely the most widely available in North America, but there are other brands out there.

Don't be fooled by Mobil 1 European Blend. Not recommended for MB Sprinters.
:idunno:

Don't be fooled by Mobil 1 [0w-40] European Blend [Formula]. Not recommended for MB Sprinters [that have a DPF].

There are MB Sprinters that don't have a DPF.

:2cents: vic

stormpeakco

'19 M-B/'19 LTV U-TB
During THE orientation (by the dealership's grand wizard) 3 weeks ago, we were informed the correct oil designated by M-B is Mobil 1.
Importantly, ESP was not uttered (but I could/should've used my E S P).
Thanks, all (and Bob...the Kruse DEF bottle seems nearly dummy proof...like the idea of dumping a 1/2 gallon Q.O.fillup-every other petrol fillup).

TwoClinks

2016 Unity TB
Thanks, I stand corrected on that small detail. I often forget that this is a Sprinter Unity forum and we have members with MB Sprinter Vans weighing in on discussions here . Diesel Particulate Filters came out around 2008 long before MB / Leisure Travel Vans .

:idunno:

There are MB Sprinters that don't have a DPF.

Bone Head

2014 LTV Unity MB
Thanks, I stand corrected on that small detail. I often forget that this is a Sprinter Unity forum and we have members with MB Sprinter Vans weighing in on discussions here . Diesel Particulate Filters came out around 2008 long before MB / Leisure Travel Vans .
Not so quick there David. No corrections applicable here. You responded to the OP who clearly stated that he had a 2019 Unity with the V6 diesel engine. I do not believe that they are made without the DPF!

Bob

Not so quick there David. No corrections applicable here. You responded to the OP who clearly stated that he had a 2019 Unity with the V6 diesel engine. I do not believe that they are made without the DPF!

Bob
Within the context of this thread is fine, but the statement was more general.

Don't be fooled by Mobil 1 European Blend. Not recommended for MB Sprinters.
It wasn't a criticism, it was a small correction.

Carry on.

:cheers: vic

Bone Head

2014 LTV Unity MB
Within the context of this thread is fine, but the statement was more general.

It wasn't a criticism, it was a small correction.

Carry on.

:cheers: vic
So Vic, am I to understand from your reply, that Mobile 1 European "blend" IS recommended for some sprinters?

Bob

CJPJ

2008 3500 170 EXTD 3.0 V6 OM642.993 4.182
Don't believe everything you read on the Internet — Abrham Lincoln
Here is a list 229.52 of many of the Low SPAsh multigrade service engine oils that the OP can use.

https://bevo.mercedes-benz.com/bevolisten/229.52_en.html

Yes the Devil is in the details!

Bob
ps the OP can also use the 229.51 speck [it has 40w in it]
https://bevo.mercedes-benz.com/bevolisten/229.51_en.html

Last edited:

So Vic, am I to understand from your reply, that Mobile 1 European "blend" IS recommended for some sprinters?

Bob
The complete label is Mobil 1 European Car Formula 0w-40.
https://www.mobil.com/english-ca/passenger-vehicle-lube/pds/iocamobil-1-fs-0w40

And "yes" it is approved for T1N 5 cylinder diesels. MB229.5 and MB229.3 specification.

It is perfectly fine oil. In the early days of NCV3 and DPF's the Operator Manual allowed 1 quart of MB229.5 for top off. The newer manuals have been more restrictive.

Not that anyone asked...
If I NEEDED top off oil for a MB diesel with DPF, assuming a lack of proper low ash oil, I would top off with Mobil 1 0w-40 or Shell Rotella Full synthetic 5w-40 (blue jug) without hesitation.

My definition of "NEEDED" is at or below the low range add mark on the dipstick. Until I saw the low level mark on the dipstick I wouldn't dump in anything but low ash oil. Below or at the add mark would trigger "any good turbo diesel oil is better than running too low" mode.

Added:
Shell Rotella Full synthetic 5w-40 (blue jug) is low ash MB228.31 spec (1.0 or lower), but not "low enough" for the MB229.51/52 lower 0.8 specification. It is fine for top off in a pinch. FWIW.

For the most part diesel Sprinters don't use much oil between oil changes so the above isn't a big concern.

Last edited:

2yrs2go

2019 Unity MB
My 2019 Unity MB is just about to turn 5000 miles and the graphic display and dipstick shows it down about half between the max and the fill line. I went to this thread to find what type of oil I needed to get. I was also concerned that almost a quart down at 5000 miles seemed high (this is my first diesel vehicle) so I looked in the Mercedes Sprinter manual and found this bit of info on page 331,

"Information on oil consumption -

Depending on the driving style, the vehicle consumes
a maximum of 1.1 US qt (1.0 liter) of
engine oil per 620 miles (1000 km).
In the following cases, oil consumption may also
exceed this limit:
* the vehicle is new.
* you use the vehicle mostly under arduous
conditions.
*you drive frequently at a high engine speed"

I suppose I should be very happy that I'm no where near burning that much oil, but since I've never read any thread or posts about this level of consumption, I was wandering if anyone can verify that this a real number or a possible misprint in the manual?

mikeme

2015 LTV IB: 2015 3500 V6
that number is a "what we tear apart the engine for warranty purposes" number.

I would not be happy at such a level of oil use. (burning $30 per gallon engine oil instead of $3 per gallon diesel fuel) but as an aside, it is these high-consumption cases that drive the need for low ash oil with particulate filters.

You did not say that you have checked the oil level over time, and with the proper procedure per your owners manual. do not assume that the oil was filled to the "do not add" marking from the dealer.

I like to keep mine a half quart or so below that top line, to allow for expansion, and potential fuel dilution of the oil. too much oil is not good.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 50714

My 2019 Unity MB is just about to turn 5000 miles and the graphic display and dipstick shows it down about half between the max and the fill line. I went to this thread to find what type of oil I needed to get. I was also concerned that almost a quart down at 5000 miles seemed high (this is my first diesel vehicle) so I looked in the Mercedes Sprinter manual and found this bit of info on page 331,

"Information on oil consumption -

Depending on the driving style, the vehicle consumes
a maximum of 1.1 US qt (1.0 liter) of
engine oil per 620 miles (1000 km).
In the following cases, oil consumption may also
exceed this limit:
* the vehicle is new.
* you use the vehicle mostly under arduous
conditions.
*you drive frequently at a high engine speed"

I suppose I should be very happy that I'm no where near burning that much oil, but since I've never read any thread or posts about this level of consumption, I was wandering if anyone can verify that this a real number or a possible misprint in the manual?

It is perfectly acceptable to operate vehicle for any length of time with oil level between hi and low marks.

Attachments

Top Bottom