Mini toad for Westy

autocamp

un-Airstream'ed & un-Dodged NAFTA JC
Just ordered a Trailex 8045 open trailer to tow the Mini to distant tracks. The price jumped 20% because of the aluminum import tariff but managed to secure a close to pre-hike deal so I look at it as a hedge. It is the lightest trailer @900 lbs as Brunnhilde's max tow capacity is 5000 lb and 500 lb of tongue weight.

I investigated the 7-pin trailer connector and found out it has no wire on pin-7 for electric brake.:thinking: Evidently European trailers tend to have self contained electric brake controller in the trailer. I don't want surge brake so have to find the contact pin insert for the Delphi 10-pin connector that is a part of the trailer connector.

Here is one old thread on this subject.

So here you have it, Mini would soon be towed.

onemanvan

I forget now which gauge wire I used - either 10 or 12 - anyway - I stripped a half inch or so of insulation off the end and tinned it - then pushed it into the hole - seemed to make good electrical contact. Not the preferred method - but it works...

Thick blue wire in lower foreground of photo is brake control wire:

Attachments

autocamp

I forget now which gauge wire I used - either 10 or 12 - anyway - I stripped a half inch or so of insulation off the end and tinned it - then pushed it into the hole - seemed to make good electrical contact. Not the preferred method - but it works...

Thick blue wire in lower foreground of photo is brake control wire:
I managed to figure out the connector is a Delphi Apex series which often used by German car companies. I am happy to send you a couple of these crimp pins that I bought - for free.

I plan to use 12 AWG which I think is plenty. Don't get me started with price gouging on blue wires on Amazon. I ordered red one for half the price.

autocamp

After some careful thinking of the ideal mounting location of the brake controller, I selected this. I will remove the ashtray assembly and fabricate an aluminum plate for this cavity. In addition to supporting the brake controller, there will be more surface for an electronic connection interface. The best part is it will be all reversible.

Mounting it near the steering wheel column like most people do is not good as the T1N have very little knee clearance.

autocamp

I’m trying to confirm that I’m ordering the right connector pin insert for the Delphi connector for the blue wire brake power signal. Can anyone confirm if this is the right one?

https://theelectricaldepot.com/weat...8-male-unsealed-terminal-also-delphi-10762775
I didn't want to serve all my hard work on a platter. I like that you spent some time doing the research. I hate to tell you how much time I spent on researching and only with a lot of reading between the lines I managed to find what I believe to be the right one. It is close but you have the gender wrong. You want the female pin.

This is what I bought.

Do note the wire gauge range.

Adolphus

The brake harness plug’s spring clip is at the bottom at the back of the brake sensor connector (which is above the brake pedal). Easy to disengage from the connector if you gently push up the plastic spring clip as you slide the plug out. This makes it easier to access the wire identified by autocamp to tap into...once I practice soldering skills and define correct wire gage to graft in.

I’m not an electrical guy, but I’m thinking it can be accomplished by using a fuse tap at the brake light fuse which is under the steering column (fuse 5). I'm apprehensive about messing with the wire at the braking sensor...one slip and wiring is toast.

In this picture I’m pushing in the clip spring with my thumb (couldn’t get Movie clip to post)

Attachments

Last edited:

Top Bottom