Unusual bodied Sprinters

• Thread starter 312 diesel (closed)
  • Start date

Cheyenne

UK 2004 T1N 313CDi
Are the T1N's unibody?
Vans where all unibody, but Chassis cabs where obviously not.

That one looks like it started life as a van as it has the second side windows and sills (what you call rocker panels) along the sides.

Oh and they've obviously used the vans rear lights!

Keith.

Cheyenne

UK 2004 T1N 313CDi
So how do you do that with a unibody? Or was it a chassis cab?
Absolutely 100% certain it was a van!

Reasons:
1. It has van bodywork showing below caravan body. Chassis cabs did not have any bodywork behind cab, either single cab or double crew cab.
2. Chassis cabs where never sold in the USA.
3. A Chassis Crew Cab would have an opening door behind the drivers door, not a fixed panel as a van.

Source: SprinterWiki https://sprinter-source.com/wiki/index.php/Sprinter
Quote "Cargo and passenger versions comprise of a unibody steel construction. Chassis versions come in cab or crew cab versions with frames that extend beyond the back of the cab. Chassis crew cabs are not available in the USA."

QED.
Keith.

PS But I still don't know how they have strengthened it to support the caravan body, it looks as though it may have a timber 'floor' under the caravan so your guess is as good as mine!

chromisdesigns

Absolutely 100% certain it was a van!

Reasons:
1. It has van bodywork showing below caravan body. Chassis cabs did not have any bodywork behind cab, either single cab or double crew cab.
2. Chassis cabs where never sold in the USA.
3. A Chassis Crew Cab would have an opening door behind the drivers door, not a fixed panel as a van.

Source: SprinterWiki https://sprinter-source.com/wiki/index.php/Sprinter
Quote "Cargo and passenger versions comprise of a unibody steel construction. Chassis versions come in cab or crew cab versions with frames that extend beyond the back of the cab. Chassis crew cabs are not available in the USA."

QED.
Keith.

PS But I still don't know how they have strengthened it to support the caravan body, it looks as though it may have a timber 'floor' under the caravan so your guess is as good as mine!

Chassis cab models were certainly sold to up fitters I know my coach is built on one

Cheyenne

UK 2004 T1N 313CDi
Chassis cab models were certainly sold to up fitters I know my coach is built on one
Ah yes but yours is an NCV3, my quote was specifically targeted at T1N's.

I stand to be corrected but have never seen any reference to a T1N chassis cab in the USA.

Keith.

israndy

2007 LTV Serenity
Ummm.. The quote you quote is that Chassis Crew Cabs were not sold in the US. I own a 2005 Chassis Cab, staring at it right now. Both LTV and Winnebago upfitted them. Technically LTV is a Canadian company, so you may be saying that there were not shipped to upfitters in the US, but Winnebago is American. There are also several Box Trucks based on T1Ns in my neighborhood, and back in the day there were UPS box trucks, haven't seen any lately, but they were in the US. Hard to believe they were built outside the US and imported...

1432_ups-sprinter-box-body-flickr-photo-sharing.jpg

-Randy

Cheyenne

UK 2004 T1N 313CDi
Ummm.. The quote you quote is that Chassis Crew Cabs were not sold in the US. I own a 2005 Chassis Cab...

-Randy
OK I apologise, I was Wiki'd :bash:

But in respect of the aforementioned caravan conversion I still maintain it started life as a van as it has a fixed panel behind the drivers door and sills (rocker panels).

Keith.

israndy

2007 LTV Serenity
That would be nice, my stupid 23 foot RV only takes a space and a half when I park at the mall. If I could take exactly two spaces that would be satisfying. What you could do with all the extra space... Two bedrooms? Chef's kitchen? Of course you still have the same weight capability so everything inside would have to be made for weight savings.

-Randy

israndy

2007 LTV Serenity
Those are nice, glad to see they are still using them, it's been a while since I posted photos of them here. I still think that could be a bitchin' motorhome when they sell them.

-Randy

owner

Oz '03 316CDI LWB ex-Ambo Patient Transport
But in respect of the aforementioned caravan conversion I still maintain it started life as a van as it has a fixed panel behind the drivers door and sills (rocker panels).
Keith.
It also has high roof. I think all Cab chassis and crew cabs were low roof.

israndy

2007 LTV Serenity
That's cause they cut off the Sprinter windshield and replaced it with custom work. That would make a fine conversion vehicle. Probably gets the same 18 MPG my 2005 Sprinter RV does. Or whatever per kilo the metric system uses as that's down under.

Personally, I am waiting for one of those convertible NCV3 tour buses to hit the used market. That would be a fun conversion to RV.

-Randy

Top Bottom