Sprinter-Forum    

Go Back   Sprinter-Forum > General Forums > Adventure

Adventure Seeing the world in a Sprinter.
SubForums: about that Adventure Shared Driveways

Old 08-17-2011, 02:26 PM   #1
jmoller99
Own a DAD ODB2 Unit.

Default Graceland - Memphis TN

Nice trip from Colorado to visit with the King, hundreds of Elvis Impersonators, and many thousands of other fans. This was for the yearly anniversary of his passing (my wife is a huge Elvis Fan). The Van is in the process of being turning into a handicapped accessible RV.

Each outing causes me to rethink how to do things in this RV, as we establish usage patterns. My Wife is handicapped, and I haul 2 large powers mobility devices (the scooter is shown in one of the pictures).

Less is better - We have a fold out futon behind the drivers seat, and carry a porta-potty - it has proven that we need to be able to have this in different places in the van depending on how we travel - good thing I did not put in a built in system.

Standalone AC is provided by a portable unit - it needs to be in a much different place when traveling, as the space at the rear of the Sprinter is occupied by mobility stuff. As long as I left a window down a little, the AC worked great and removed the dreaded humidity too. Normally, we don't need an AC in Colorado, but that is not the case in the southern USA.

I need to add insulation, but I am not done with all the wiring yet.

The campground was close to all the events, and were well maintained and they had lots of security. We ate at a BBQ place called Marlows - they sent a Pink Limo to pick us up in.

Great trip, except for when the mosquitoes bit thru my blue jeans.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Campground2.jpg (110.1 KB, 188 views)
File Type: jpg Campground1.jpg (50.2 KB, 174 views)
File Type: jpg AC-InsideVent.jpg (37.5 KB, 190 views)
File Type: jpg AC-OutsideVent.jpg (32.4 KB, 183 views)
File Type: jpg AC-Unit.jpg (26.9 KB, 183 views)
Old 08-17-2011, 10:45 PM   #2
sprinter77
badboy

Default Re: Graceland - Memphis TN

Thanks for pics; seems that you have relax overthere in that place
How many watt have you got on that electric vehicle?
weird grille on your Sprinter it looks like it missing a part on your Mercedes-Benz conversion grille down near bumper compared to the european Sprinters
Bye

Last edited by sprinter77; 08-17-2011 at 11:17 PM.
sprinter77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 01:16 AM   #3
larry8061

The campground.......... is that the one in an industrial area pretty much downtown about 2 miles from Beale Street?

I am planning on using that in October, I'd like to know.

if you are still in Memphis (probably not) THE best BBQ beef I have EVER eaten and, I have eaten BBQ around the country, was at the Cozy Corner in Memphis. Go in daylight.

Larry
larry8061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 02:04 AM   #4
Altered Sprinter
Happy Little Vegemite

Thanked 2,353 Times in 1,862 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by larry8061 View Post
The campground.......... is that the one in an industrial area pretty much downtown about 2 miles from Beale Street?

I am planning on using that in October, I'd like to know.

if you are still in Memphis (probably not) THE best BBQ beef I have EVER eaten and, I have eaten BBQ around the country, was at the Cozy Corner in Memphis. Go in daylight.

Larry
Go in Daylight.....What happens after Dark?
No Shalam - No Shalom
Now lets take back the - Sprinter-Forum.

Of course I'm being totally biased.
Driving my life Away in a 313 Cdi Mercedes-Sprinter

Altered Sprinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 04:29 AM   #5
michaelrking

Curious about the portable A/C. I have one in my garage. The exhausted hot air from the condenser coils blows out the vent, but where does the air come from to replace it? Has to be drawn in from outside, through whatever openings it can find. The air is drawn from the cooled space and run across the evap to be sure, but I can't see how you can get much net cooling in such a small space.
Old 08-18-2011, 05:23 AM   #6
jmoller99
Own a DAD ODB2 Unit.

The AC unit I used needs air from the outside for it to work (since it blows a lot of hot air out of the exhaust vent, that air has to come from somewhere) - opening a window slightly was all that was required to get it to work. I also wrapped a towel around the vent pipe (other people using these in small campers indicated that it makes it more efficient), to sort of insulate it. Keeping the humidity low and much cooler than the outside air made it comfortable to sleep in that small space.

The campground is pretty much across the street from Graceland, and I did not notice any industrial buildings there. The Heartbreak Hotel is right next to the campground. Unless you are there for Elvis related events, its at least a few miles from anything else. My wife was 15th in line for the vigil (this is when people pass by his grave site, on the Graceland grounds, on the evening of August 15th). I would guess there was at least 20,000+ people that went on the vigil walk - in my wifes case, on a mobility scooter.

The Campground Showers and Rest Rooms were well maintained, and it has 5 sets of clothes washers/dryers. I would stay there again.

There is another KOA in Memphis that I camped at about 20 years ago - that was outside of town. Next time we go, we will visit more of Memphis. I liked the Pecan Beer I had at Marlows BBQ (brewed with real Pecan nut mash).

The Sprinter is a Freightliner, and the Mercedes replacement grill did have to be altered to fit the opening. There was no room on the grill for the real model badging anymore, so I added the Fender emblem instead (I have a few older Tube based Fender guitar amplifiers and prefer them over other amplifiers for electric guitar).

The mobility scooter is fairly large. Its not real level where we use it most often - its not quite set up for serious off road use, but it has a good suspension and only gets high centered occasionally. We use it in the Colorado mountains when out prospecting for gold and silver. It can handle rocky areas well. It has 2 55 amp gell batteries - I don't know how many watts it uses (my guess is 1/2 to 3/4 HP), but, realistically, it can go about 10 miles per charge. It gets parked outside, locked, under a tarp, when we camp. I charge it either off of a 30 amp 120 V AC line, from the 1000 watt sine wave inverter and my battery bank, or a 360 watt sine wave inverter that is powered by the vans alternator while we drive. I have a number of different amperage mobility chargers for it, depending on the source of AC power. We often travel with a power wheelchair too - the scooter is too big for shopping in most smaller stores, so we really need both most of the time. This is why I can't build in much storage space in the Sprinter - I need the floor space for my wifes mobility transportation - she can't walk more than a few steps anymore. Any place that has stairs, we don't usually visit or eat at.
Old 08-18-2011, 10:58 PM   #7
maxextz
Rollin Rollin Rollin.....

Thanked 1,108 Times in 605 Posts

Great trip, except for when the mosquitoes bit thru my blue jeans.

Sioux-316CDI/T1N/158/2005. Light Prevails
maxextz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 01:57 AM   #8
larry8061

A: The Cozy Corner is NOT in a great part of town. However, the BBQ is to DIE for (but not literally)! There is the tourist BBQ in Memphis and then there is Memphis BBQ! The Rondezvous gets all the press and I hear they can cook some decent food. Their claim is that they cook the ribs for 14 hours - I had some of those, Charcoal wouldn't have been much worse.......

Thanks for the info on the campground! It's not the one I checked out - there is one closer to Beale street in an industrial area - it's actually an old freight yard for some building they added hook-ups to.

Larry
larry8061 is offline   Reply With Quote