3.5 V6 gas owners please respond.

-D-

a new nissan high top NV3500 might work:bounce:
Believe me, I've even looked at those. The high top is totally hideous though. Also, I own a frontier with the same V6 powerplant, and have friends with the V8 (from the Titan) While they are great motors in terms of power, the fuel economy is not so great. I can't imagine it doing to well in a massive van. Why nissan won't bring the diesel over here is beyond me. Same with toyotoa. Both of those trucks diesel powered get excellent mpg..

Sikwan, the service bulletin is not the same as a recall right? ie, if I were to get that gasser and have that issue after the warranty it wouldnt' do any good, correct?

Man.. :idunno:where to go from here. First learn about numerous potential issues with the diesel. The gas must be a sure bet.. wrong! Suppose I should check back in to reality and realize I may not experience any of these issues.. All this information from the internet is a burden sometimes:wtf:

Believe me, I've even looked at those. The high top is totally hideous though. Also, I own a frontier with the same V6 powerplant, and have friends with the V8 (from the Titan) While they are great motors in terms of power, the fuel economy is not so great. I can't imagine it doing to well in a massive van. Why nissan won't bring the diesel over here is beyond me. Same with toyotoa. Both of those trucks diesel powered get excellent mpg..

Sikwan, the service bulletin is not the same as a recall right? ie, if I were to get that gasser and have that issue after the warranty it wouldnt' do any good, correct?

Man.. :idunno:where to go from here. First learn about numerous potential issues with the diesel. The gas must be a sure bet.. wrong! Suppose I should check back in to reality and realize I may not experience any of these issues.. All this information from the internet is a burden sometimes:wtf:
if it had a diesel it would be over your price point, and the nissan gas engine mileage would probably be and since it would use regular gas not premium it would probably be a wash.

:rad:

-D-

if it had a diesel it would be over your price point, and the nissan gas engine mileage would probably be and since it would use regular gas not premium it would probably be a wash.

:rad:
Are you saying the Nissan can use regular fuel? My frontier requires premium, and it's the same powerplant..

My Frontier is at 4200lbs, The NVs are atleast 6000lbs.. My truck gets about 17mpg if I'm careful and mostly drive fwy. I'm thinking the NVs will be lucky to get 12mpg around town:wtf:

Also, the interior height even on a low roof sprinter is much better.

Altered Sprinter

Happy Little Vegemite

The Toyota would be a perfect vehicle for your needs very popular exceptionally reliable almost as wide as the Sprinter and same length as the MWB sprinters.
DSC00254 (Custom).JPG

DSC00256 (Custom).JPG
Or Ford Transvestite..They eat Nissan's for breakfast zoom zoom :lol:
DSC00238 (Custom) (Custom).JPG

Are you saying the Nissan can use regular fuel? My frontier requires premium, and it's the same powerplant..

My Frontier is at 4200lbs, The NVs are atleast 6000lbs.. My truck gets about 17mpg if I'm careful and mostly drive fwy. I'm thinking the NVs will be lucky to get 12mpg around town:wtf:

Also, the interior height even on a low roof sprinter is much better.
the nissancommercialvehicle website says regular gas under the specs for 6 and 8 cyclinder engine. I don't know about your frontier

i thought you wanted a high top

knighty

-D-

to come at this from a different angle - I think you have the wrong impresion about the diesel sprinters

if you google / search this forum, you only find problems - thats jus tthe nature of the internet / this type of forum... it doesen't mean the diesel sprinters are unreliable, it's just that people only post about the problems they're having

"meaningrean" did over 700,000 miles in his sprinter, with very few problems !

(and ignore the posts about EGR valves... the petrol model will have one too!)

piper1

Resident Oil Nerd.
-D-

(and ignore the posts about EGR valves... the petrol model will have one too!)
Yes... it does, and it lives in the relatively clean exhaust environment of a gas engine (ie NO SOOT). The diesel EGR valves would live forever too in that kind of exhaust.

Both engines have advantages and disadvantages, a great deal saved on purchase (especially if you are borrowing the money) can pay for a lot of problems down the road and still come out ahead...especially in a low mileage application.

:2cents:

ciparnome

Well I found a gas powered sprinter at a huge discount. I've run the numbers and it would take me a looooonnngg time to make up the discount vs. a diesel. Not too mention if I have one problem with the diesel (EGR, DPF, turbo etc etc.) all that fuel savings is a wash.

I want to hear from other gas owners and see what their experience has been. How reliable is the little v6? Any major issues to report?

Also, I've found numbers in other threads on the mpg ranging from 14-19mpg. Please let me know what you've been getting.

Last question is the oil capacity required for oil changes, this will help me sharpen up my estimates.
Oil capacity is 7.xx something. I always pour 8quarts of synthetic 0-40mobile. it's overage.
btw they told me to chage oil once a year. that's what i've been doing.

There are many many lawsuits for many many vehicles and the gas engine on this sprntr is no exception to that. You can just about find any law suit for all your imaginable reasons for any given engine or vehicle. It just means that our legal system and lawyers are hard at work.
I think you have to see the whole picture. do some broad search.
My impression (with sampling rate of 1) of this 3.5 engine is rock solid. I have 50k on it and it never gave any sign of trouble. Only oil changes needed.
I do mostly long-distance highway driving and it really has necessary pick up that my dad's diesel sprinter does not.
In terms of torque, it has to be wound up a bit but has about same.
I've driven both. I think for every day short-run driving, diesel is more attractive.
But if you want to do interstate runs, I vote for gasser without any reservation. They are both reliable vehicles and built like tanks.

my 2cents -my response is probably too late for the original poster..but hope it'll help someone in the net.

my most resent gas mileage calculation: 18.34 going 60mph constantly. 15.55 for going 75mph like everyone else. my dad gets often over 20mpg on diesel and he always drives like a mad person.

ciparnome

Oil capacity is 7.xx something. I always pour 8quarts of synthetic 0-40mobile. it's overage.
btw they told me to chage oil once a year. that's what i've been doing.

There are many many lawsuits for many many vehicles and the gas engine on this sprntr is no exception to that. You can just about find any law suit for all your imaginable reasons for any given engine or vehicle. It just means that our legal system and lawyers are hard at work.
I think you have to see the whole picture. do some broad search.
My impression (with sampling rate of 1) of this 3.5 engine is rock solid. I have 50k on it and it never gave any sign of trouble. Only oil changes needed.
I do mostly long-distance highway driving and it really has necessary pick up that my dad's diesel sprinter does not.
In terms of torque, it has to be wound up a bit but has about same.
I've driven both. I think for every day short-run driving, diesel is more attractive.
But if you want to do interstate runs, I vote for gasser without any reservation. They are both reliable vehicles and built like tanks.

my 2cents -my response is probably too late for the original poster..but hope it'll help someone in the net.

my most resent gas mileage calculation: 18.34 going 60mph constantly. 15.55 for going 75mph like everyone else. my dad gets often over 20mpg on diesel and he always drives like a mad person.

BTW, I've taken off dodge badges and replaced'em all with mercedes. grill and all. call me cheesy but I think it's better than taking chevy suburban and putting escalade badges all over it..

3mbusa

-D-, what I did not see in your calculations, was a resale value when you are done having fun with the van -- maybe I missed it? My opinion is that the gas van will be in the toilet and a higher millage diesel will still bring a much, much better resale value. Just another thing to consider. :rolleyes:

Top Bottom