Issue starting in cold. Next troubleshooting steps?

-D-

Early last week we had a serious cold front come in (here in Utah) it's been hovering around 0 F and highs in the teens. Where I live is quite windy so it frequently reaches below zero.

I jumped up to warm up the van for work and it seemed to start ok. Left it idling to run in and grab my work stuff came back out and it was shut down.

Tried to restart to no avail. Here is what I've tried so far (to no avail):

Charging starter batt (under driver foot area) for 3 days on the 12V / 6Amp setting.

Jumping the battery with a jumper box. The van is on the side of my house and I can't get another vehicle back there to jump it.

Checked the battery output with an ohm meter (right at 12.4-12.9V.) However it is the orginal OE battery I believe-it has a merc emblem on it, and it was def low before.

Next I figured the fuel might be jelling. However I do use the power service winter+cetane boost stuff (in the white bottle) at every fillup. Tried rocking the van back and forth and couldn't hear much in the way of fuel sloshing. Pulled the dipstick and stuck it in the fuel tank. It's def. wet but perhaps thicker than normal..

Now I've purchased some of the Diesel 911 emergency start stuff here ( and a fresh 5 gals of diesel. Measured and poured the right amount in along with the white bottle Cetane booster. Letting it sit now..

Anyone else have any thoughts?

Started... ran... died... I'd be concerned with gelled fuel also. Gelled fuel can literally turn to snot. I feel Power Service diesel antigel helps, but I don't know if it will fix summer blend fuel.

In addition to what you listed maybe tarp around the Sprinter and get some heat under it? It may not take much of temperature rise. Good luck. vic

Early last week we had a serious cold front come in (here in Utah) it's been hovering around 0 F and highs in the teens. Where I live is quite windy so it frequently reaches below zero.

I jumped up to warm up the van for work and it seemed to start ok. Left it idling to run in and grab my work stuff came back out and it was shut down.

Tried to restart to no avail. Here is what I've tried so far (to no avail):

Charging starter batt (under driver foot area) for 3 days on the 12V / 6Amp setting.

Jumping the battery with a jumper box. The van is on the side of my house and I can't get another vehicle back there to jump it.

Checked the battery output with an ohm meter (right at 12.4-12.9V.) However it is the orginal OE battery I believe-it has a merc emblem on it, and it was def low before.

Next I figured the fuel might be jelling. However I do use the power service winter+cetane boost stuff (in the white bottle) at every fillup. Tried rocking the van back and forth and couldn't hear much in the way of fuel sloshing. Pulled the dipstick and stuck it in the fuel tank. It's def. wet but perhaps thicker than normal..

Now I've purchased some of the Diesel 911 emergency start stuff here ( and a fresh 5 gals of diesel. Measured and poured the right amount in along with the white bottle Cetane booster. Letting it sit now..

Anyone else have any thoughts?

Last edited:

-D-

Update! It started right up.

I turned the key off on a few times to get the plugs warm and prime the fuel pump.. Hopefully to push that emergency stuff through the system.

Let is sit for 15 mins and gave it a try. Success!

Previously the van sat for a few weeks (winter break), so along with the low battery I'm thinking I may had have some fuel gel-age in one of the lines of filter..

Not that you asked...

I would drive it for quite a while up to operating temperature to mix all that new stuff in well.

Thanks for the follow-up. vic

-D-

Started... ran... died... I'd be concerned with gelled fuel also. Gelled fuel can literally turn to snot. I feel Power Service diesel antigel helps, but it won't fix summer blend fuel.

In addition to what you listed maybe tarp around the Sprinter and get some heat under it? It may not take much of temperature rise. Good luck. vic
Thanks Vic. :thumbup:

Gel did to seem to be the case.. Seemed like it pushed something through and then all of the sudden it started cranking much faster. Fired right up and it's about 12deg F outside right now:clapping:

I'm quite relieved because I just had the glow plugs and module replaced. My Freightliner dealer is about an hr away. Towing this thing down there would be pricey I'm sure. =X

I did end up ordering a new AGM battery from my local parts store. Being that this is the OEM batt, it's pushing 7yrs old now..

Maybe your added fresh fuel and Diesel 911 was the secret. :thinking: I found this endorsement while skipping around today.

"If by chance you do freeze or get the block of jello in your tank they have another nice product. Diesel kleen 911, that stuff is AMAZING! I had about 3-5 gal left in my tank on a cold week and it jelled up and clogged the lines as I was getting on the highway. Had an officer stop to see if I needed help cause it was so cold....i think it was -20 with -45 wind chill, just a bad week...but he took be the local gas station picked that stuff up poored it in with 5 mor gal of diesel waited 5 mins and then the truck started right up....I now carry a small bottle of that stuff onboard all winter just in case!"

http://www.thedieselstop.com/forums...ve-fixed-my-low-mpg-issue-233627/#post1762394

Something to remember. Thanks. vic

Thanks Vic. :thumbup:

Gel did to seem to be the case.. Seemed like it pushed something through and then all of the sudden it started cranking much faster. Fired right up and it's about 12deg F outside right now:clapping:

I'm quite relieved because I just had the glow plugs and module replaced. My Freightliner dealer is about an hr away. Towing this thing down there would be pricey I'm sure. =X

I did end up ordering a new AGM battery from my local parts store. Being that this is the OEM batt, it's pushing 7yrs old now..

Red Eye

I've always wondered what these additives will do to the dpf and sensors, not to mention clogging up the egr that seems problematic on these engines.

We go to great trouble and expense to get the exact low ash oil for the engine, of which not too much gets into the combustion side.

Question: do these additives burn cleanly?

What's the trade off? Vic?

What's the trade off? Vic?
You mistake me for someone who might know something. :rolleyes:

Good questions. My take on most diesel fuel additives is that they are formulated to comply with things like low ash and low sulfur requirements, but I don't know for certain for all products.

There are basically two reasons that I use Power Service Diesel Kleen Antigel (white jug). I use it fairly religiously in the winter months and more sporadically in the summer.

First is that based upon my starting experience with Power Service and less than a full complement of glow plugs (down to two each) I had better success in cold weather starting than what some people in similar situations indicated in posts here.

Second is that I have read where getting occasional higher concentrations of bio-diesel when you haven't regularly run that (I don't) can break loose stuff in your fuel system and cause problems. I figure by using the Power Service product maybe that helps to keep the crud from building up. :idunno:

Enough of my opinion. The best that I can offer to help answer your questions is to go to Bob is the Oil Guy BITOG and do some reading. It can be very involved. Please let me know if you come to some concrete position because I have yet to find that.

Here's the site. The forum sections are in the lower gray box. Have fun. vic

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/

Last edited:

Top Bottom