Sprinter-Forum    

Go Back   Sprinter-Forum > Sprinter-Based RV's & Conversions > Sprinter RV's & Conversions Talk

Sprinter RV's & Conversions Talk Common features found in Sprinter RV's and Conversions.

Old 01-04-2010, 08:09 AM   #1
madsprinter

Default Diesel Cook Top

I'm looking at Diesel cooktops to install.
They look like slick, efficient systems, without the hassle and danger and extra fuel storage a propane tank may add.
That said---While I havent found the price, since only one company (webasto; and then wallas for marine) makes them for RVs, I'm guessing they are ridiculously expensive. But perhaps worth it? as they can also serve as a heater furnace...

Does anyone out there have a diesel cooktop? Or have any other knowledge on this subject?

Thanks!
Madaleine
madsprinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 02:03 PM   #2
Hit The Road Jack
2006 Roadhouse Sprinter

Default Re: Diesel Cook Top

Quote:
Originally Posted by madsprinter View Post
They look like slick, efficient systems, without the hassle and danger and extra fuel storage a propane tank may add.
That said---While I havent found the price, since only one company (webasto; and then wallas for marine) makes them for RVs, I'm guessing they are ridiculously expensive. But perhaps worth it? as they can also serve as a heater furnace...

Does anyone out there have a diesel cooktop? Or have any other knowledge on this subject?

Thanks!
Madaleine
Hi Mad, here's some info...

http://www.marineplantsystems.com/we..._Products.html
madsprinter (01-05-2010)
Old 01-04-2010, 04:47 PM   #3
cedarsanctum
re: Member

Quote:

Thanks!
Madaleine
I found in my research the only diesel stove that does both cook top and heater was the Wallas. Webasto is supposed to make a cook top that is similar for RV's, without the heater hood, but i could never find one. The Wallas was designed primarily for marine use, and i was told the company doesn't like it when they're installed in an RV.
The price is relative. If you factor in the total cost of installing a propane system to run a cook top and a heater, the Wallas comes close to the same. The beauty to me was the simplicity of a single fuel source, especially a safer fuel source such as diesel.
Though i have not been able to connect my Wallas due to time constraints (there's never enough hours in a day) i am impressed with the quality of the stove itself. If it works anything like it is put together, it should function for many trouble free years. No propane system components i have ever seen compare to the way this thing is put together. It is a precision component.
I hope to get my stove connected in the next week, otherwise it will be a month before i get back to it. Winter is almost gone, i'd like a chance to try it out. Full report to follow.

Jef
madsprinter (01-05-2010)
Old 01-05-2010, 10:50 PM   #4
madsprinter

Thanks Jef,
I'm trying to justifying the price of this beautiful product. I've also read some accounts online of these cook-tops becoming poor performers with problems developing after a year. how long does your warranty last?
madsprinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 12:28 AM   #5
Mrdi

This is just hear-say, but I understand there is a soot problem with their use.
Residue builds up on the interior.

I just installed an alcohol stove, burns denatured.
BTUs are supposed to be 80% of butane.
Seems every direction is a compromise.
Southern California
Mrdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 08:19 AM   #6
mean_in_green
>1,800,000m in MB vans

Link
cedarsanctum (01-06-2010)
Old 01-06-2010, 04:56 PM   #7
cedarsanctum
re: Member

Quote:
Thanks Jef,
I'm trying to justifying the price of this beautiful product. I've also read some accounts online of these cook-tops becoming poor performers with problems developing after a year. how long does your warranty last?
Warranty? I didn't anticipate having to deal with the dealer when i bought this stove. The only dealer for the Wallas stove in the US will not sell the stove for use in an RV. I believe it has to do with operating it at altitudes above sea level, though they were unclear on that. They just said NO RV's.
I also heard about the sooting problem, and the product book warns of that, if the control valve is turned too fast or too much it will soot. Possibly the altitude thing again could cause this. The Webasto product Simon sent a link for (thanks Simon) has a button to adjust for above 1500 meters, or approx. 5000 feet altitude. There is also a possibility it could get too hot above a certain altitude. I rarely camp at that level when i'd need the stove and will keep all that in mind.
The quality of this stove is such that if service is needed, it looks pretty easy to take apart and clean. Everything is very well designed and engineered. If your not mechanically adept, it might not suit you to try this route. Propane stoves and furnaces are certainly cheaper and easier to work on, but the bulkiness and complexity of the tank and plumbing, the necessity of 2 different fuels to deal with, and the danger of an explosive gas on board made me seek out the only viable alternative i could find.

Hope this helps
Jef
Old 01-06-2010, 05:33 PM   #8
Krenovian

Quote:

Thanks!
Madaleine
Here is a link to a blog which has a discussion of a couples' long term use of a Wallas Cooktop in a Sportsmobile conversion, the problem they encountered related to using it at altitude and the solution they came up with: http://s94153639.onlinehome.us/sport...pliances.shtml

Curt
Krenovian is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Krenovian For This Useful Post:
worksofman (12-31-2010)
Old 01-06-2010, 06:49 PM   #9
Hikinginpdx
Sprinter is for sale

I considered the stove / heater combo route but ruled it out. Some of the reasons others have shared, we don't believe we are going to cook that often inside, plus there are lots of light weight solutions that would fit our needs.

One huge issue that killed it for us was taste. A boat guy warned me and I went to check it out myself. Personally I found an odd taste to food cooked over diesel. Many would argue its not the case, but I found it to be true... Your milage may vary
Hikinginpdx is offline   Reply With Quote