Sprinter-Forum    

Go Back   Sprinter-Forum > Sprinter-Based RV's & Conversions > Sprinter RV's & Conversions Talk

Sprinter RV's & Conversions Talk Common features found in Sprinter RV's and Conversions.

Old 12-18-2009, 08:31 PM   #1
stmlandplan

Default Rear Door Access Expandable Assembly

Wouldn't it be cool to be able to buy a low profile, 3-leaf assembly that bolts to the inside of the rear doors so when you get to your camp spot and open the doors the leaves flip out (sides, bottom and top) and connect and you expand your van by 3' +/-. The space could be used for extra storage or a shower/toliet/wet area. With all the space-age materials available it would seem an easy (well maybe not easy) thing to design and produce. The difficulty would be making it insulated with see through windows, weathertight and lockable.

I don't have a van yet but when I finallly do I want the ability to drive it down narrow trails, park it in a parking space in town but when in the camp spot the extra length would be really nice. From what i have seen the fixed showers and toliets in these Sprinters really consume too much space adn i don't like the idea of showering in the living room.

Maybe it's crazy but what else do you do when your sitting here watching the snow fall...............?
stmlandplan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 12:15 AM   #2
sikwan
06 T1N Can

Thanked 1,814 Times in 834 Posts
Default Re: Rear Door Access Expandable Assembly

I would be worried about the weight on the hinges.

It was 61 degrees here 2 hours ago. Must be nice seeing snow.
sikwan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 03:19 AM   #3
ECU

Thanked 1,216 Times in 892 Posts

Build a slide out on a Joey Bed.

http://joeybed.com/models_joeybed_senior.htm

Last edited by ECU; 12-19-2009 at 02:42 PM. Reason: add link
ECU is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ECU For This Useful Post:
stmlandplan (12-22-2009)
Old 12-19-2009, 12:35 PM   #4
stmlandplan

I thought the hinges looked like they could easily take it but when you consider 3' of leverage that may be a bit much. Maybe a SS cable running back to the top hinges would carry a 3' slide-out platform.

What is a Joey Bead?
stmlandplan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 02:06 PM   #5
businessgypsy
Curiosity fed the dog

What about a receiver hitch basket as the floor of the bumpout to take the weight off the hinges? I've been playing around with this idea as a way to isolate all the mechanical systems (toilet, water heater, 110vA/C) so I can take it all off and stow it when I need a pure cargo van. Also keep me from extensively wiring and plumbing the van for what will be seasonal use as a camper since all connections would be on the receiver hitch extension. The water tanks could also be under the toilet/shower floor using this scenario.

Sorry about the snow. Got a nasty sunburn planting palm trees last Wednesday.
Old 12-19-2009, 03:13 PM   #6
ECU

Mis spelled it Joey Bed. A slide out that might be made of lightweight material. I thought of having a slide out start about 2 feet up from the floor and only have it for a bed.
http://joeybed.com/models_joeybed_senior.htm
I thought I was the only one who thought of this. Yes. build a whole sink, water system, stove and fridge on a swing away hitch mount.
Something akin to the StowAway2

A thought I had was that the box could be the height between the bottom of the windows and the reciever hitch. A top on it could flip up to become the back wall. The face could drop and become the floor. The only idea for a roof is a small awning. Couldn't find a solution to bug/weather proofing the setup.

Here is another form of support for a slider.

I think of trying to remove this size of a box. Could weigh about 500 lbs. Started thinking of a small trailer. If you split your camper up between van and trailer, what would you put where?
You can leave your bed at home for day trips. So sleeping in a trailer? Or is sleeping in the van better for road trips? Sleep in the thing you can drive away without getting out. Of course you'd want a cooler for day trips... I'd love to hear input on this.
My thinking took me to a trailer about 7' wide with inside wheels. Minimum of 8' long, 10 would be OK. Since the sprinter is tall, no need for a little tear drop. But then I wonder why build something. Why reinvent the wheel.
Buy this:
Old 12-19-2009, 05:00 PM   #7
RickL

Roadtrek has just announced a new 19' Class B with a REAR slideout that contains the bathroom,etc:

http://www.rvbusiness.com/2009/12/ro...rear-slideout/

It is an interesting idea for those who want more room.

Rick L
RickL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 05:28 PM   #8
cedarsanctum
re: Member

Take this idea a little farther and incorporate either the factory doors, or fabricate a new one piece fiberglass door that becomes the back wall of the slide-out. Doing your own door would allow for a 1 piece window across the back for visibility. Instead of having a pop-out on the side, it would pop out of the rear in the same way it's done on bigger motor homes and trailers.
Just a thought.
Jef
Old 12-19-2009, 05:28 PM   #9
ECU

That looks like my idea of a Bed a bit off the ground. Notice that storage under. There doesn't seem to be a toilet in that part.

One thought that kills this idea is how do you sleep? I could put bed across the back and get 70" x 50" for sleeping and use only the back four feet.
A slide out of three feet would only be about 52" wide at best. So you will then sleep lengthwise at 70". For all the trouble of a slide out, you gain one foot inside.

Last edited by ECU; 12-19-2009 at 05:32 PM. Reason: add data
Old 12-19-2009, 07:32 PM   #10
businessgypsy
Curiosity fed the dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECU View Post
....One thought that kills this idea is how do you sleep? ...
Take a look at this other dreaming thread on over cab sleeping.