Sprinter-Forum    

Go Back   Sprinter-Forum > Sprinter-Based RV's & Conversions > Sprinter-Based RV Brands > Leisure Travel Vans > Unity

Old 06-30-2017, 03:53 AM   #11
woundedpig
2018 Unity MB

Default Re: Unexpected response from 3M about VHB 4950 tape for rigid solar panels

I still don't get the 4 sq. inches per pound or load spec. It seems incredibly conservative. When I first heard about VHB, I went online and especially looked at youtube videos of industrial applications and demonstrations of sheer strength etc. These demos used nothing approaching the above spec of 4 sq in/lb load. VHB tapes are used in aircraft flying at tremendous speeds experiencing huge forces and heavy trucks bouncing down the road. I just looked at the aircraft and automotive applications sections on the 3M site.
woundedpig is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 04:12 AM   #12
rollerbearing

Default Re: Unexpected response from 3M about VHB 4950 tape for rigid solar panels

It has to do with that slow creep problem for constant static loads. Especially in shear. Things like picture frames. It is still a problem in static tension as well. You could hang a big old light fixture over your dinning room table and find it crashed to the floor the next morning.

Dynamic tension loading is a different matter - so much stonger! This is the kind of loading you are seeing on the truck trailer sidewall panels - if it doesn't have to hold the panel's weight up - ie the bottom edge of the truck sidewall is resting on a frame. In this case you'll see VERY much lower reccomendations.

They can't expect the general public to always know the difference so they are quoting you the shear static load number. That would apply if you wanted to stick panels on the side of your RV (without anything else supporting their weight.) Having them sit flat on the roof supported from below they are mostly going to experience tension loading some of which will be dynamic - from vortexes and some may be constant from angle of attack uplift as Autostartex calculated.

Last edited by rollerbearing; 06-30-2017 at 01:48 PM.
rollerbearing is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rollerbearing For This Useful Post:
woodywesty (07-01-2017)
Old 06-30-2017, 04:56 AM   #13
ablock

What about adding a strip of Eternabond over the mounting foot, with say 1.5" of overlap on all sides?

I don't see what #8 screws into a FRP skin panel is going to do for you. I assume the roof core has essentially zero resistance to pullout.
ablock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 07:12 AM   #14
Aqua Puttana
Poly - Thread Finder

Thanked 13,770 Times in 8,747 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ablock View Post

I don't see what #8 screws into a FRP skin panel is going to do for you. I assume the roof core has essentially zero resistance to pullout.
Some ss screws might do more than you might think.

Is the roof plastic or composite - fiberglass? If composite the fasteners should lock in quite well. If plastic, not quite as well.

My thought is that the fasteners will clamp the parts together and help prevent the VHB or sealant from losing the bond.

I'm no expert.

I do like the idea of the Eternabond tape for weather seal. I doubt it will add much bonding strength.

I've mentioned before that Plexus adhesive has been used to bond boat decks to the hulls for quite some now. It is very effective.
http://www.itwplexus.com/UserFiles/F...To_Bonding.pdf

vic
Anyone can hold the helm when the sea is calm. Publilius Syrus
"There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't." HaWiiLuVeR
16 ounces of unnecessary prevention can be worth a pound of manure.

Last edited by Aqua Puttana; 06-30-2017 at 12:46 PM.
Aqua Puttana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 01:32 PM   #15
rollerbearing

Quote:
Originally Posted by ablock View Post
What about adding a strip of Eternabond over the mounting foot, with say 1.5" of overlap on all sides?

A bit better than screws are through bolts backed with load spreading plates. My fasteners on the interior are hidden in cupboards and behind ceiling AC vents. They are covered on the exterior with self leveling sealant. Agree with Vic about marine adhesives. Look up tensile strength of 3M 5200 and compare to VHB. Look up tensile strength of hardware store Permatex Silicone and compare to VHB.

Nonetheless, MANY people have used just VHB. If you go that route - really understand what you are doing - have plenty of safety margin (like 5X) and consider backing up with mechanical fasteners. The closest engineering data you will find is from the building trade - look up roof decking screw fastening schedules and wind uplift values. VHB is cheap and this is a case of a little seems to work and more is probably better (and sure wouldn't hurt anything or anybody.)

Last edited by rollerbearing; 06-30-2017 at 02:05 PM.
rollerbearing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 03:08 PM   #16
ablock

Quote:
Originally Posted by rollerbearing View Post
A bit better than screws are through bolts backed with load spreading plates.
I would say that would be much better, as in, that would be the marine industry standard. But also impossible in the Unity as the interior roof panels cannot be removed AFAIK.

5200 would be a good choic if you never, ever expect to need to remove the solar mounts.
ablock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 03:28 PM   #17
woundedpig
2018 Unity MB

This is AMSolar's view: On fiberglass roofs they use VHB without screws with mounts that have just 2.5 sq inches of base area each. The Renogy mounts have twice that surface area each. 80 pounds of shear force per square inch of VHB = 800 pound of shear force using the AMSolar mounts, and twice that using the Renogy Z brackets. I tend to over analyze things and I'm in that phase right now.......... Still pondering. I don't know how thick the fiberglass shell is for the Leisure Travel Unity and don't know exactly what is underneath (4 inches thick) but wonder what the resistance to screw pullout really is, like Ablock.

I just heard from Garret, an engineer at AMS. He said that 3M's response looks like a "CYA" to him and again, no failures. He suggested adding an extra mounts when the panel is mounted near the leading edge of a vehicle where there might be laminar airflow and said that AMS tends to add extra L-Feet to increase the contact area in such a setting.
woundedpig is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 04:33 PM   #18
autostaretx
Erratic Member

Thanked 7,850 Times in 5,725 Posts

There are so many issues at play here... if you simply #8 or #10 sheet-metal-screw it to the fiberglas, i'd really be worrying about pull-out (if the VHB failed/crept). But you'd certainly be helping in the straight-to-the-rear shear issues.

Next up would be to drill a bigger hole, and insert/install a Molly-like T- or expansion "nut" ... there's a WingIts brand for ADA handrails which uses two coupled broad-spreading plastic tripod back supports ... good enough to exceed 600 pound support in 5/8" wall board, so quite likely decent for fighting lift effects of a panel.

A problem with putting any hole in the fiberglas is the potential for fatigue/stress cracks spreading from it as the roof flexes up and down from the winds buffeting the panel. Bigger, smoother holes help minimize that.

Me? I'd accept the minor cosmetic damage of cutting through the ceiling inside the van to reach one or two of the forward feet to provide a load plate (my reason for saying "bolts and nuts" earlier... i'd certainly include load-spreading fender washers (at least)). You can always hide the ceiling hole with a new LED light fixture or the like.

--dick
p.s. when i installed my MaxxFan, i went the route of installing a wooden frame beneath my steel roof to receive its mounting screws, instead of just trusting the 12 or 16 screws' threads in the sheet metal alone. Belts and suspenders.
((as always: this post may go through a couple of post-posting edits... so maybe give it ten minutes before commenting))

Last edited by autostaretx; 06-30-2017 at 04:38 PM.
autostaretx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 04:37 PM   #19
chromisdesigns

Based on boat experience I would make wooden or aluminum mounting pads, glue them down with 3M 5200 polyurethane and screw or bolt the panels to the pads.

Using 5200 you can probably lift the van by the pads! That stuff sticks.

And if you ever have to remove them for some reason you can cut them off with a length of thin wire fishing leader

If you are still into sprinter rvs and think you might want the nicest possible version send me a PM for details.

Last edited by chromisdesigns; 06-30-2017 at 11:25 PM.
chromisdesigns is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to chromisdesigns For This Useful Post:
Brokecanadian (07-01-2017), Nomad_Elvis (06-30-2017)
Old 06-30-2017, 05:37 PM   #20
Bone Head
2014 LTV Unity MB

Math vs. REAL WORLD:

My Renology solar panels are attached with VHB tape (don't know which number) for a couple of years now and have been from Wisconsin to Texas to California and Alaska without as much as a whimper. I do go up on the roof every once and a while to check, but for my money, no penetrations is a good thing.
I understand the math and the concern, but let's face it folks, the VHB tape just works.

Bob
Too many places to see.
Bone Head is offline   Reply With Quote