Sprinter-Forum    

Go Back   Sprinter-Forum > Sprinter-Based RV's & Conversions > Sprinter-Based RV Brands > Leisure Travel Vans > Unity

Old 12-01-2018, 11:03 PM   #1
QuadTips
2017 LTV Unity MB LL+

Default New member of the Li-ion club

I put my Battle born batteries in this afternoon. The left one does not want to slide in far enough to close the door. I can take off the spacer on the door to make it fit but I don't get it the battery is actually smaller in depth then the old one. Anyone else have this problem? Also they are a little wider so I and to redo the center bracing.

Fired up the inverter and electrically everything seems to be working. 13.3 volts on the panel.

jeff
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1545.jpg (243.2 KB, 161 views)
QuadTips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 03:28 AM   #2
woundedpig
2018 Unity MB

Default Re: New member of the Li-ion club

The batteries need to go in with the long dimension facing the outside. They will just barely fit with jockeying around. There is a red rubber flap covering a set of busses/fuses in the left rear of the battery box that the battery is butting up against. You have them going in “endways,” unless the picture is distorted. All of the high density plastic pieces must be removed. You can use them as spacers later. You have to maneuver around the hex head bolts in the floor of the box. I just moved the bolt position. Others have replaced the bolts with low profile round topped bolts.
woundedpig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 04:37 AM   #3
SVidas
2018 Unity CB

Mine are the old style, longer and with the terminals on each long end. They barely fit the width of the step. Yours appear to be the newer, smaller version and should fit better as you noted. I am guessing the one to the rear is catching on something on the floor to keep it from going in further.
Totaled108 (12-05-2018)
Old 12-02-2018, 06:37 AM   #4
QuadTips
2017 LTV Unity MB LL+

Well I jiggled and jostled and finally got the batteries mostly in place. There is still something keeping the left battery from going back as far as the right one as wondedpig suggested it appears to be the red rubber flap that the battery is coming in contact with as well as a very large gauge wire.

These are the newer GC2 form factor batteries as SVidas suggested.

I was able to get the step well closed by removing the left bumper behind the step upright.

I was hoping that with the new form factor this would be a much more of a plug and play solution.

Tomorrow I'm going to give it one more try, I really want this install to last.

jeff
QuadTips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 06:44 PM   #5
Scarecrow
2017 LTV Unity Murphy Bed

Thanked 1,056 Times in 572 Posts

Klipstr and I had a similar problem on my 2017 Murphy Bed. But mostly because we had to double-up on the cables due to the correct AWG not being readily-available locally. We removed both foam bumpers behind the front wall "door", and everything fit just barely.

I absolutely love the freedom that lithium provides.
Old 12-06-2018, 03:35 AM   #6
Jeff Regan
2018 Silver U24MB

Does the inverter have charging settings specific to Li-Ion batteries?

What is the main advantage of higher capacity Li-Ion, less generator charging over a given amount of time? Or Is it the ability to use electric items for longer durations?

Last edited by Jeff Regan; 12-06-2018 at 03:45 PM.
Jeff Regan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 02:57 PM   #7
Klipstr
2018 Wonder FTB

There are long threads in many places here about the advantages of LiFePo batteries with lots of strong opinions either way. I think if you search with terms "ion" and "solar" you will find them.

Short answer to your question: no, the inverter needs to be manually tweaked to do a good job with them. But that's covered in various posts as well.

I'm not normally the guy that says this to another member but I think in this case you will be better served that way than by starting the discussion from scratch. Although, that said, it might help to concatenate the discussion. Hmmmm. Never mind?

Rio Verde and Show Low AZ
2018 Wonder FTB

https://cuernoverdesolar.wordpress.com/
Klipstr is offline   Reply With Quote