Sprinter-Forum    

Go Back   Sprinter-Forum > Sprinter-Based RV's & Conversions > Sprinter-Based RV Brands > Roadtrek

Old 08-19-2019, 02:03 AM   #1
jasper2222

Default Propane generator "pointer"

Just a quick note for those of you that have a propane generator. This may have been covered in other posts but I have not seen it.

I had an issue with my generator not running smoothly and not switching over. I replaced spark plug, no change. I did notice that the air filter cover had come loose and I reattached it as I thought it should be. No change in generator running.

I took it to a dealer and low and behold the problem was indeed the air filter cover. The service manager says the propane generators are great units but they must have the correct amount of air (maybe pressure, I don't know). All I do know is that it is running like a top. I was so happy that they did not pull the generator and all that stuff. It did cost me $200, but in the scheme of things the $200 was a blessing to what I was thinking--new generator etc.

So, if you do your own maintenance or your generator start acting up, maybe check that air filter cover. I did replace the air filter and that was almost 2 years ago. I guess it just vibrated loose over time.
jasper2222 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jasper2222 For This Useful Post:
Aggie (08-19-2019), BobLLL (08-19-2019)
Old 08-24-2019, 06:33 PM   #2
Mein Sprinter
2010 Roadtrek SS Agile

Default Re: Propane generator "pointer"

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper2222 View Post
Just a quick note for those of you that have a propane generator. This may have been covered in other posts but I have not seen it.

I had an issue with my generator not running smoothly and not switching over. I replaced spark plug, no change. I did notice that the air filter cover had come loose and I reattached it as I thought it should be. No change in generator running.

I took it to a dealer and low and behold the problem was indeed the air filter cover. The service manager says the propane generators are great units but they must have the correct amount of air (maybe pressure, I don't know). All I do know is that it is running like a top. I was so happy that they did not pull the generator and all that stuff. It did cost me $200, but in the scheme of things the $200 was a blessing to what I was thinking--new generator etc.

So, if you do your own maintenance or your generator start acting up, maybe check that air filter cover. I did replace the air filter and that was almost 2 years ago. I guess it just vibrated loose over time.
Another one is the Generator Vent Hose that occasionally gets dirty, clogged from road grime, water during rains, mud, pollen, etc. since our Generator is mounted underneath our 2010 Roadtrek Agile. Clean it or replace it with a plastic tipped gasoline filter. Older generators are also sensitive to exact oil levels at the dipstick.

cheers...