Sprinter-Forum    

Go Back   Sprinter-Forum > Sprinter-Based RV's & Conversions > Sprinter-Based RV Brands > Pleasure-Way

Old 08-02-2019, 05:33 PM   #11
autostaretx
Erratic Member

Thanked 7,831 Times in 5,712 Posts
Default Re: Battery Not Charging on Shore Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertFini View Post
It pops both on shore power and generator power, and when it pops I get no charging to the aux battery. It trips all by itself, never when operating the sofa. I'll see if I can scare up a charger. Should I disconnect from shore power while it's on the other charger? See attached photo.
So before it pops the batteries *are* charging from shore (and/or generator) power?

If so, that would certainly support the idea that it's really the charging breaker.

(i wonder if the sofa would stop if you disabled the "power converter" breaker?)

If you're using an "external" charger, it would (of course) be safest to disconnect the PleasureWay's shore power, and discontinue using any loads until the charging is completed.

(or only externally charge it after the breaker has popped, if you need to maintain 120vac power in the rest of the van)

Crawling around with a voltmeter would be more informative ... and/or having a wiring diagram and chasing down "which red wire goes where" (tedious, but informative) and then labeling the wires themselves.

--dick
((as always: this post may go through a couple of post-posting edits... so maybe give it ten minutes before commenting))
autostaretx is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to autostaretx For This Useful Post:
RobertFini (08-14-2019)
Old 08-03-2019, 02:52 PM   #12
bl_smith25

The one labelled sofa is really the converter. It’s the converter breaker that is tripping, not the sofa, which is why when you run the sofa, it’s not related. Switch the labels so they’re correct. Looking at your photo, it’s easy to have gotten the two mislabeled.
The converter breaker is tripping because the current needed to charge your battery is overloading the circuit. Your battery must be really low still, which is why I mentioned above to go for a drive for a bit to charge it using the alternator before finishing it off with shore power.
This leads to another question. What is the status of your battery? How old is it and do you have any issues with it holding a charge? I hope it’s an AGM since it’s in the living quarters and what is it’s state of charge?
Also, you may want to check your shore power cord ends to ensure there are no burn marks as well as the input to the van. If any connections have worked themselves loose, there could be issues there that the breaker is protecting you from.

B.L>
2006 PW Plateau
2005 3500 Cargo
2.6L 5cyl OM647
Brooklet, GA
bl_smith25 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bl_smith25 For This Useful Post:
RobertFini (08-14-2019)
Old 08-04-2019, 03:01 PM   #13
RobertFini

We're camping this weekend at Watkins Glen for the NASCAR race, so please forgive the delays in my responses.

It's a five-hour drive at Interstate speeds to get here from where we live in South Jersey, so the battery should have gotten an excellent charge on Wednesday, but the breaker popping started immediately after we arrived.

We've only had the rig since October, so the battery predates our ownership, but I recall back when we bought it that the dealer said it just had a new battery, and the visual condition of the battery supports it being new. It's a standard lead-acid deep-cycle marine battery. It's difficult to tell whether it's holding a charge, but it does have enough juice to keep the water pump running through the night for the toilet, but the gauge quickly drops to "Low" as soon as I pull it off the generator or shore power. I don't have a proper charger with me - just a Battery Tender that puts out only 1.25 Amps, so I'm running that instead of the on-board charger.

What part(s) of the passenger seat needs to come off to gain access to the battery? Is there a trick to it?
RobertFini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 03:41 PM   #14
brassarl
2006 T1N 2500 Long & Tall

My suggestion would be to call Pleasure Way directly and ask them. I've called them a few times and found them extremely helpful and knowledgeable service department.

Lou
brassarl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 04:33 PM   #15
autostaretx
Erratic Member

Just as a question: can you squint hard and verify what amperage the *breaker itself* thinks it is?

If they're mis-labeled, they could also be mis-placed ... you may have the 20 amp "sofa" breaker trying to handle the 30 amp charging duties.

In which case, i'd swap the breakers (or parallel the popped breaker with another 30 amp breaker... this would be a test of good/bad breaker, too). Note that i'm suggesting doing the parallel hookup with the existing breaker popped ... if you paralleled it when it's closed (not popped), you'd be creating a 50 or 60-amp capable link, which wouldn't provide the protection you want.

--dick
((as always: this post may go through a couple of post-posting edits... so maybe give it ten minutes before commenting))
RobertFini (08-14-2019)
Old 08-04-2019, 05:39 PM   #16
RobertFini

It's a 30-Amp breaker.
Old 08-06-2019, 06:54 PM   #17
RobertFini

When I got home last night after the five hour drive, I measured the aux battery at 12.6 Volts; this morning I only get 10.8 Volts after it sitting all night with nothing running, so it looks like the battery isn't holding a charge. We did get some receipts when we purchased the rig and one of them was for a NAPA 7549 battery dated 12 May 2016, so it's not terribly old.

Can anyone point me to a thread about the best way to remove the battery so I can take it to be tested?

I'd also be looking for recommendations on a replacement that will give us the most capacity without having to make any alterations or modifications to the camper.
Old 08-06-2019, 07:37 PM   #18
autostaretx
Erratic Member

I'm always suspicious that there's an undiscovered load draining a battery.
Things like the isolation relays welding shut (so they don't isolate), gadgets like propane monitors that skirt the shut-offs "for safety" (since you want to KNOW about a gas leak).

To verify there's no load, things like a clamp-on ammeter allow measuring currents without disconnecting any wires ... their sensor just grabs around the wire:

Some battery shops (like Batteries Plus) will do reasonable amounts of extraction/replacement for you.

The fact that you drop almost precisely 2.0 volts is a hint that one cell is internally short-circuiting ... which can happen if they get low on water and then are subjected to heavy loads (or charging current) ... which can heat and warp the cell's plates.
(that's one of the reasons AGM batteries have their Absorbent Glass Mats.. the mat serves as a separator between plates.)

--dick
RobertFini (08-14-2019)
Old 08-07-2019, 03:05 PM   #19
bl_smith25

Well, for starters on your rig, the battery is supposed to be an AGM battery. If it’s not, make sure your replacement is because it’s deemed to be inside the living quarters. If it’s under the seat, the seat will need to be removed to get it out. If it’s in one of the other locations, it should be pretty straight forward to remove it. Even a new battery can be bad so if you have a receipt for it, see if you can get a credit and put towards an AGM. You should be able to get a Deka or similar group 49 under the seat. Other locations will have a smaller one. Anyways, match the size and get the biggest one that will fit in the space. It’s not convenient under the seat to have to water a battery periodically to keep it going and you don’t want explosive hydrogen gasses venting into your living quarters while you have propane igniting in the same space.
Make sure your detectors are all up to date and working too. Not just the light is on. They have a lifespan of 5 years so if they’re older than that, get new ones. The dates will be listed on them - either front or back.

B.L>
2006 PW Plateau
2005 3500 Cargo
2.6L 5cyl OM647
Brooklet, GA
bl_smith25 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bl_smith25 For This Useful Post:
RobertFini (08-14-2019)
Old 08-14-2019, 03:42 PM   #20
RobertFini

I wanted to thank all of you for your input on this; just to tie everything up, it was in fact a bad battery with a shorted cell. The old battery still had some warranty left on it, so I replaced it with an identical NAPA #7549. The passenger seat needs to come out to access the battery, and I took plenty of photos along the way in case anyone thinks it's worthy of a write-up.

Best Regards,
Rob
The Following User Says Thank You to RobertFini For This Useful Post:
autostaretx (08-14-2019)