Inverter and Generator

JohnPuccetti

I have a 2015 SS Agile with solar panels and 2500 watt inverter with propane generator. What is the proper start up configuration of cabin switch and inverter switch for running on generator?

irvingj

2015 RT SS Agile (3.0L)
Mine has the "under-hood generator," not the propane one, but the procedure on mine is to FIRST start the engine, THEN turn on the inverter. If the engine is started when the inverter's already turned on, an alarm will sound. Not sure why, but that's the way it is. Perhaps the propane generator's sequence is the same…? (My Agile also has solar panels (300W), but has a 3000 watt inverter.)

gte

2008 RS
I have an older 2008 RS with generator and inverter. Why do you need the inverter on if you are running the generator? In my unit the inverter supplies 120 volt AC derived from the batteries, but does not need the propane generator running to do so. Likewise the propane generator supplies 120 volt AC but does not need the inverter to do so. I only have to have the coach power switch on to start the generator. Admittedly my 2008 "old school" technology wise but I am curious why about this.

chromisdesigns

I have a 2015 SS Agile with solar panels and 2500 watt inverter with propane generator. What is the proper start up configuration of cabin switch and inverter switch for running on generator?
Turn inverter off before starting generator and switch cabin outlets to generator position.

obgraham

The conclusion to be drawn from the responses so far, of course, is that there is no one answer -- the rigs are set up requiring different procedures. My 2015 CS with ETrek is different from all these.

So OP will have to either consult a manual, should there actually be one, or the factory for the correct procedure.

irvingj

2015 RT SS Agile (3.0L)
Ah, good point, gte. Having never had a propane generator, I forgot that they usually supply 120VAC.

My under-hood generator, actually just an additional alternator, supplies 12VDC so it has to go through the inverter to supply 120VAC to the coach circuits.

gte

2008 RS
Ah, good point, gte. Having never had a propane generator, I forgot that they usually supply 120VAC.

My under-hood generator, actually just an additional alternator, supplies 12VDC so it has to go through the inverter to supply 120VAC to the coach circuits.
That is interesting. I did not know they were using the inverter for that. So the inverter does double duty; produce AC from both the under hood alternator and the 12 volt batteries.

I assumed that at some "idle" RPM they were getting 120 volt AC from the alternator.

I think the fact remains that the inverter does not have to be on for the propane generator to supply 120 volt AC.

Last edited:

SunshineinSLO

I realize this is a super old post - but if anyone happens to read this, I have the same setup: 2015 Agile SS, with solar + propane generator.

What I'm wondering is: does anything have to be turned ON for the solar panels to charge the batteries? Does the inverter have to be turned on?

If the inverter is on...does that turn on all the stuff in the coach (like the refrigerator, for example), and then simultaneously drain the batteries while they are charging? If the inverter has to be turned on for the batteries to charge, is that not somewhat self-defeating? And in that case, then I would want to turn the inverter on for a day prior to embarking on a trip, right? And then turn it off at night (cuz it's dark)?

If the inverter does NOT need to be on for the solar panels to charge the batteries, they should always be full then, right? Since I'm parked in the sun?

Thank you!

Moto Vita

I'm confident you don't need to use your inverter for solar charging your batteries, that would be converting power from DC to AC then back to DC. It's possible you may need your inverter to charge your batteries from shore power or your generator.
Your inverter consumes power just by being turned on so you should turn it off when not needed to power AC loads from your batteries.

Benzorv

As a follow up, does the battery disconnect have to be “on” ( battery disconnected) or “off” when you plug into shore power? Mine is a 2014 SS Agile.

irvingj

2015 RT SS Agile (3.0L)
As I understand it, if you want to use any of the 12V items -- lights, water pump, fan, etc. you have to have the battery ON, whether you're "plugged in" (to shore power) or not.

I have a 2014 CS Adventurous with propane generator, solar, and coach batteries (no E-Trek). Supplying 120v power to the rig either with shore power or generator will provide power to every outlet whether or not the inverter is on. The solar panel(s) charges the batteries whether or not the inverter is on. My inverter (1250W TrippLite) has three switches: Auto, Off, and Charge Only. Auto provides 120v power to two or three outlets (but not all) if there is no 120v power from either shore power or the generator and 12v power to all 12v appliances. On Auto, that transfer is automatic, provided the inverter is switched 'On' at the control panel about the sliding door. If the inverter is switched 'Off' at the control panel, all 12v appliances continue to receive power, but no power is proved to 120v outlets.

Top Bottom